Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-01-13, 12:15 AM   #1
jan300

Learning to ride

Hi!!
I just registered to this site because I bought a unicycle and I am trying to learn and I wanted to know how did you guys learned or if you have any videos that would help me because i have been trying for a while but I can't do it right.
Should I be on the sit or kind of standing?
Also if you have videos or something that can help me learn please tell me.

I would really appreciate it!
jan300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-13, 12:54 AM   #2
LanceB
This space available

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to unicycling.

Go to Youtube and type in "learn to unicycle." You will get about a thousand hits. Good luck.
Old 2016-01-13, 05:21 AM   #3
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan300 View Post
If you are having trouble sitting on the seat, and if you are putting too much weight on the pedals, try two things:

1. Hold onto something (doorway, fence, etc.) and practice putting your weight in the seat. This will get you used to the feeling.

2. Try raising the seat a tiny amount. If it works out for you, try raising it another small amount. The leg should have a little bend in it when the pedal is in the bottom position and you are sitting on the seat.

There are a lot of videos on the internet. Take a look at them. Be patient, acknowledge any bit of progress, no matter how small, wear safety gear so you will feel brave.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. We are all rooting for you. Keep us posted on your progress.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-13, 05:31 AM   #4
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

I enjoyed this one when I was starting:

(The first 90 seconds are a little silly but it's very helpful after that.)

Yes, you want to sit on the seat. Try to put as much of your weight on it as you can, no more pressure on the pedals than you need to move and keep your balance. It will be a while before you're comfortable enough to really sit down fully, trust me on that, but keep trying.

The main thing is patience and persistence. Get out every day or as often as you can. Don't expect miracles, or even steady daily progress really. But if you stick with it, you'll get it.

This forum has 25 or so years of archived wisdom about every possible aspect of unicycles and riding them. Search and read when you're done practicing.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-13, 10:34 PM   #5
Reeny
Unicyclist

I learnt in the alley next to the house.
It has a handrail on one side, and a wall within arms reach on the other side.
The handrail support helps with remounting and reduces fatigue.

I started with 5-10 minute long practice sessions, 6 times a day (= 1-hour total)
Day one = sitting on the seat rocking backwards & forwards
Day two = rolling one half revolution, holding onto the rail.
Day three = rolling one half revolution, without holding onto the rail.
Day four = rolling two half revolutions - wow that's one full turn.
Day five = rolling three half revolutions.
Day six = rolling four half revolutions.
and repeat

It took me about 2-months to learn how to ride the whole length of the 14-yard alley in one go.
Patience, enthusiasm, and perseverance are essential.

Take it one step at a time.
Don't set yourself big unrealistic or difficult targets.
If I can exceed my personal best each time I go out, I am happy.

For the sitting or standing question:
My seat post was cut down too short by the previous owner, so I learnt the wrong way - by standing up on the pedals.
Once the Chinese saddle was replaced with a £15 UDC club version, plus correct length seat post - things improved massively.
Have someone check your gear for problems if you can.

Last edited by Reeny; 2016-01-13 at 10:40 PM.
Reeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-14, 11:48 PM   #6
OorWullie
Unicyclist

I started working my way along a wall with a hand on it, but I don't think I really learned until I started launching of the wall into open space. Within half an hour I was managing rides of between 1&2 metres. Then it's just a case of managing to go further. I'd say don't worry too much about sitting or standing. The ultimate goal is sitting, with as much weight as possible on the seat. However this will happen almost naturally in time, as will many unicycle things. Ask advice on here, read archives, watch YouTube videos, but ultimately ride as often as you can.
Also, don't be afraid of taking a day or too off if you need to. Learning to ride is physically hard, way harder than riding after you've learned!
Take something positive from every session. Whether it's 'I made it a metre further than yesterday', 'I managed a free mount', or even as simple as 'I rode today even though I was tired/it was dark/it was raining/whatever'. Always focus on the positive!
Good luck.
OorWullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-15, 10:55 AM   #7
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan300 View Post
Hi!!
I just registered to this site because I bought a unicycle and I am trying to learn and I wanted to know how did you guys learned or if you have any videos that would help me because i have been trying for a while but I can't do it right.
Also if you have videos or something that can help me learn please tell me.

I would really appreciate it!
how long is a while, when you say you've been trying a while? It took me 3 weeks before I could ride 50 metres. I started out in the living room, sitting on the uni and dragging myself along a wall. and then gradually push away from the wall. It takes a lot of patience, but if you\re willing, it will come automatically. I started in July 2015 and my longest ride has now been 12km.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-20, 11:27 PM   #8
Djphelan01
Unicyclist

I too just got a unicycle and am learning. I think I'm doing ok at it since I have about 9 hrs of riding and I can go about 100 feet with no support .i started using crutches as poles until I got used to the feel of sitting on it without falling. I then practiced in my basement using a stair to put the wheel against to mount and just kept trying to see how far I was able to go. I tried all differ things such as foot placement on pedals and found some things that seemed to help me. I had more success at first keeping the pedals closer to the middle of my foot not just on the balls. Now that I can go a little bit I put the balls of my foot on the pedals but beginning it seemed more successful the other way. I also found that concentrating on making very smooth pedal rotations helped and keeping my back very straight and lean forward.

Those are the things that seemed to help me but I'm a newbie and someone with more experience might contradict some of my things. I do have a little bit of trials experience on bikes and motorcycles so I do have decent balance, which I'm not sure if that helped or my wife telling me I'll never be able to ride that thing motivated me more.
Djphelan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 11:48 AM   #9
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

I learnt from the beginning without using support by the "ride from a backstop" method. I made it extra difficult for myself by riding across my front lawn which was far from smooth.

There are many things which must come together to ride. Forward/back balance, side balance, riding straight, getting the foot on the pedal, getting over the first dead spot. Each time you take off try to focus on one of the skills and keep changing.

It took me about 15 hours before I could ride ten metres across the lawn on the crappy little uni I started on. Having a better uni, a coach and a flatter track would have made a big difference. Both my adult sons learnt very quickly under my instruction and riding my KH trials.

Everyone is different but it is really all about persistence.

Tags
learning, learning to ride, ride