Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-19, 02:41 PM   #196
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Oh but I tried!
As soon as I remove the top foot, all my weight ends up on the down pedal and I stop swinging
I suggest you get really good at the static mount first. That means you can perform it without rushing, and the first pedal is closer to the 9:00 position at the start. Think of it as mounting into a one-footed still-stand. Focus on pointing the toe of the first foot downward, pushing the foot toward yourself and getting your center of gravity more forward. The static mount indicates the position in the 360 degree pedal stroke where it makes the most sense to transition the second foot off the pedal. For me, this is somewhere around the 9:00 position, which is the same as the static mount. Once you improve at the static mount, you can mount directly into one footed, with your second foot placed on the crown of the frame. You might consider practicing that, and other difficult mounts, on grass. I learned to one-foot idle by mounting directly into it, and I learned to one-foot ride by transitioning from a one-foot idle. Learning in this fashion took some time, but it made transitioning from normal riding happen naturally. Another thing about the static mount that applies to the one-footed transition: You absolutely have to have weight in the seat while doing a static mount. So, if you want to know what weight-in-the-seat really feels like, the static mount is your friend. Another thing to practice is a slow, controlled dismount off the back, which to my understanding is just a static mount in reverse. Again, it indicates the position where it makes sense to remove the second foot.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 08:45 PM   #197
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I suggest you get really good at the static mount first.
Done. I static-mount in slow motion on either side, with only the odd miss once in a while. Same with the 'static dismount' (as you said, a static mount in reverse).
I do it 'fluently' for either riding forward, riding backward or just staying put (e.g. for bunny-hopping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Once you improve at the static mount, you can mount directly into one footed, with your second foot placed on the crown of the frame.
Oh! I like this idea a lot!
Since I can't seem to be able to let my weight on the seat while idling normally, I might as well move on to the next thing in line, which in return should solve the weight problem.
Funny how good ideas always seem obvious once someone else has stated them.

Also, I've been practicing on and off getting one foot off its pedal when riding. I can manage at most 1/4 rev but it gives me a feel for that momentum thing.
I was thinking of riding one-footed first before trying with idling but your suggestion might make everything click into place a lot quicker.

Thanks a ton for the help, elp (see what I did there? uh? uh? see? uh?)
I'll try right away and report back.

Last edited by Garp; 2019-07-19 at 08:51 PM.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-20, 01:31 AM   #198
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I was thinking of riding one-footed first before trying with idling but your suggestion might make everything click into place a lot quicker.
There are a lot of younger riders, I'm guessing, who can learn new techniques by just "going for it." I am older and a slow learner; my path forward is a more slow and steady one. No guarantees on the above technique, but at the very least, trying some different approaches may be helpful. Good luck!
Old 2019-07-24, 02:59 PM   #199
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Follow-up of the above.

While I'm still far from idling one-footed reliably, practicing it has improved my two-footed idling a lot.
This is thanks to Mr UNIdo

Strangely, it doesn't seem to have any effect on one-footed riding, which I'm still struggling with.
It's neither better nor worse.
Old 2019-07-24, 03:35 PM   #200
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
While I'm still far from idling one-footed reliably, practicing it has improved my two-footed idling a lot.
I suspect that, as a general rule, practicing harder techniques makes the easier techniques easier. Other riders have commented how learning to one-foot idle was not as hard as they thought it would be. Several riders, myself included, have mentioned that we are only good at it with one foot on the crown. I can go for a few seconds with one foot in the air, but it feels like a different, more complicated technique. The foot on the crown, I think, is what makes it easy. The foot is not merely resting there; it's applying leverage for pivoting. Also (I need to check this next time I ride), one foot idling forces you to get weight/stability in the seat, whereas in two-foot idling, you can stand out of the seat.

Keep up the good work, Garp!
Old 2019-07-25, 02:50 AM   #201
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Strangely, it doesn't seem to have any effect on one-footed riding, which I'm still struggling with.
Yeah, these two skills are far less connected than they might seem. PuebloUNIdo, as I recall, learned to ride one-footed by idling one-footed and than charging forward, but I don't know anyone else who has done it that way. I can now go from a one-footed idle into a one-footed ride, but that's definitely not how I learned!
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-25, 11:46 AM   #202
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

I can idle one-footed (515 hrs)...

... on both sides
It's not as consistent as two-foot idling but it's getting there.

Funny thing is that the one-footed version didn't improve the two-footed one. Not one bit

I used EPU's method: static mount with the second foot directly on the crown instead of the pedal.
I didn't see any progress for a long while but once it started to click, it moved on pretty fast. Good method
Old 2019-08-25, 03:17 PM   #203
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
... on both sides
It's not as consistent as two-foot idling but it's getting there.

Funny thing is that the one-footed version didn't improve the two-footed one. Not one bit

I used EPU's method: static mount with the second foot directly on the crown instead of the pedal.
I didn't see any progress for a long while but once it started to click, it moved on pretty fast. Good method
I agree it's a slower method. What I liked about it, though, was that it allowed me to turn the crank slowly and feel every bit of my foot going over the 12:00 position, rather than simply pedaling quickly and hoping for the best. Thanks for sticking with it, Garp, and congratulations on your progress!
Old 2019-08-25, 05:51 PM   #204
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Erm... the 12:00 position? I'm confused.
Are you talking about one-foot riding? If so, I'm not there yet (but working on it).
Old 2019-08-26, 01:15 PM   #205
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Erm... the 12:00 position? I'm confused.
Are you talking about one-foot riding? If so, I'm not there yet (but working on it).
Duh! I thought you were talking about learning one-foot riding, but you are actually talking about one-footed idling. Sorry!
Old 2019-08-26, 01:34 PM   #206
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

You weren't mistaken. Just a few days early
Old 2019-08-28, 02:31 AM   #207
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
You weren't mistaken. Just a few days early
At the rate you're learning, I would not be surprised.

Tags
beginner, learning, milestones, progress