Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2004-03-16, 03:41 AM   #1
coopercruisers

Freewheel unicycle hub?

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone here could help me out.
I'm working on a weird bike/unicycle design and am trying to find a unicycle type hub but that would have a freewheel in it...in other words be able to pedal directly but also coast when you want...not sure if anything like this exists...

If anyone has any ideas please let me know...thanks!

bryan
coopercruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:47 AM   #2
UniBrier
Time To Ride

The Coker Wheelman has a freewheeling hub.

Unipsychogirl has a custom coaster brake hub uni that brakes when you back-pedal.

There have been past threads on coaster uni's too, see what the search brings up.

Edit: The Coasting thread is what I was thinking of.

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Last edited by UniBrier; 2004-03-16 at 03:50 AM.
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 03:47 AM   #3
fluffinator007
Expert UPD'ist

Send a message via AIM to fluffinator007 Send a message via Yahoo to fluffinator007
I'm not sure what the correct term is but I have heard of them. I'll make up a name, I will call them "catch bearings". THe area of the hub wheret he spokes connect will have bearing so the wheel can rotate without the pedals moving but there will be a catch mechanism so that when the rider pedals forward the bearing catch and will supply torque and push to the wheel so you can move. But the rider will be unable to ride backwards.....

I think ive heard of this anyway, its similar in a way to the back wheel gear of a bike. You can pedals foraward and move, but not backwards and you can coast. maybe i just made up this hub.....errr
Old 2004-03-16, 03:59 AM   #4
UniBrier
Time To Ride

Oops, Ran out of time to do a second edit.

Search "coaster" and "freewheel" to start.

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 04:25 AM   #5
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally posted by fluffinator007
I'm not sure what the correct term is but I have heard of them. I'll make up a name, I will call them "catch bearings". THe area of the hub wheret he spokes connect will have bearing so the wheel can rotate without the pedals moving but there will be a catch mechanism so that when the rider pedals forward the bearing catch and will supply torque and push to the wheel so you can move. But the rider will be unable to ride backwards.....

I think ive heard of this anyway, its similar in a way to the back wheel gear of a bike. You can pedals foraward and move, but not backwards and you can coast. maybe i just made up this hub.....errr
They're called one way clutch bearings.
zxz-bearings.com
eslbearing.com

Someone made a coaster unicycle with these bearings and had it at the last UNICON. I can't remember who. The problem with this design is that the bearings wear out quickly. The bearings also have max torque loads and unicycling may exceed those torque loads which would explain their short life span in this application.

I think the hub used on the Coker Wheelman might have potential as a hub for a coaster unicycle. You would be able to pedal forwards to gain speed, but backpedaling would do nothing but cause you to coast. I have never seen a Coker Wheelman hub. It may or may not work on a coaster unicycle.
john_childs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 05:23 AM   #6
Mojoe
Unicyclist

Bryan,

If you're the guy who restores old cruisers, then I'd like to say that I really admire your work.

cheers... Mojoe
http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 06:07 AM   #7
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally posted by john_childs

They're called one way clutch bearings.
zxz-bearings.com
eslbearing.com

Someone made a coaster unicycle with these bearings and had it at the last UNICON. I can't remember who.
I think it may have been Jack Halpern that had the coaster unicycle with the clutch bearings. I think????
Old 2004-03-16, 06:21 AM   #8
toddw9
MRIS member

Send a message via ICQ to toddw9 Send a message via MSN to toddw9 Send a message via Skype™ to toddw9
I've wondered about designing some kind of a clutch that simply engages or releases the pedals. It would have to be a hand operated clutch. It would allow the hub to freewheel forwards and backwards, or when the clutch was engaged, it would ride like a normal unicycle. It seems like it would be relatively simple, maybe somebody has built something like this, although I've never seen or heard of it done.
Old 2004-03-16, 08:33 PM   #9
sarah.miller
SWUM unicyclist

Quote:
Originally posted by john_childs

I think it may have been Jack Halpern that had the coaster unicycle with the clutch bearings. I think????

Nope, Sarah was the one with the coaster uni, now I can't think what her surmane is Hansen is bugging me,but I'm not certain thats right. I think she posts here sometimes as unipshcogirl or some thing in that vein.

Jack had the coker with the trashed bearings.

Sarah
sarah.miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 09:25 PM   #10
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Quote:
Originally posted by sarah.miller

Nope, Sarah was the one with the coaster uni, now I can't think what her surmane is Hansen is bugging me,but I'm not certain thats right. I think she posts here sometimes as unipshcogirl or some thing in that vein.

Jack had the coker with the trashed bearings.

Sarah
There were at least two coaster unicycles at UNICON.

Sarah Chastain goes by unipsychogirl here on the forum.

Sarah Chastain had one that's made from a modified rear coaster hub from a bike. The kind of rear hub that when you backpedal it applies the brake. There is a bit of slop in that setup because you don't get instantaneous engagement when you start pedaling forwards again.

Someone else had a coaster unicycle made from a modified hub and clutch bearings. I just can't remember who it was that had that unicycle.

A setup made from the rear hub of a BMX bike or singlespeed MTB might work. You'd want to start with a hub that gets very quick engagement as soon as you start pedaling forwards. You'd also have to figure out how to fit a pedal spindle in the hub. I'm not sure how big of a diameter of a spindle you could fit in a BMX hub. You might have to use a skinny spindle which would affect the strength. If it was easy I'm sure someone would have done it by now.
Old 2004-03-16, 10:22 PM   #11
coopercruisers

Thanks for the info guys...

I'm looking to create a bike? similar to the coker wheelman but a slacker more custom design with a 24 or 26 front wheel and a 20" rear wheel...I'm not looking for it to have a brake just have the capability to coast...i would have rim brakes like the coker.

mojoe...yeah that's me..thanks for checking out my work

bryan
coopercruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 12:00 AM   #12
john_childs
Guinness Mojo

Re: Thanks for the info guys...

Quote:
Originally posted by coopercruisers
I'm looking to create a bike? similar to the coker wheelman but a slacker more custom design with a 24 or 26 front wheel and a 20" rear wheel...I'm not looking for it to have a brake just have the capability to coast...i would have rim brakes like the coker.

mojoe...yeah that's me..thanks for checking out my work

bryan
We can get off on a tangent here on the forum sometimes.

The homebrew coaster hubs have not worked well.

The hub from the Coker Wheelman is probably the best option. Contact Unicycle.com and see if they can get the hub. Unicycle.com rebuilt a bunch of used Coker wheels from the Coker Wheelman and the Coker Monster Bike. Maybe they still have some of the Wheelman hubs. See Unicycle.com's product description for their Remanufactured Coker wheel
I have no idea about the quality of the Wheelman hub.

There are probably some other coaster hub options. Razor makes a Big Wheel replica (yeah, like the Mattel Big Wheel) that has a coaster hub. There may be some other adult sized tricycles with coaster hubs on the front wheel.
Old 2010-07-15, 10:01 PM   #13
unireed
Reed Breuer

i am reviving this thread because i want somebody to post a pic of a coasting uni

I ride for Christ-opher Walken
unireed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 10:23 PM   #14
digitalattrition
GET IN THE VAN!!!!

Send a message via AIM to digitalattrition
Quote:
Originally Posted by unireed View Post
i am reviving this thread because i want somebody to post a pic of a coasting uni
Buy Training Wheel Not Required. The one I made, which was really primitive, is featured in it. I think Kyle Grasso rides it.

I also made a video of me riding it a while ago, but I can't find it in the gallery.
Old 2010-07-18, 01:22 AM   #15
EoinC
EoinC

Make it even more exciting by adapting a Rolhoff 14-speed hub to driving through the axle to the sprocket drive...
http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/index.html
EoinC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freewheel, hub, unicycle