Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

View Poll Results: Have you used clipless pedals?
Yes 10 27.03%
No 21 56.76%
Yes, and Joona shouldn't try them 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-12-29, 11:14 PM   #1
joona
)-O <--Neat

Send a message via AIM to joona
Clipless...

So, my new MTB is coming around soon and I'll buy clipless pedals for it next summer. Is this a totally crazy idea to stick them on my uni and give it a go? I think there's quite a lot of people here who have given it a go. Should I just leave them on my two wheeler or give them a go? They might work pretty well on some trails.

165 lbs. I'm not going to stop eating yet... I'll be a big boy soon
joona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 11:44 PM   #2
U-Turn
Small fish, small pond

Why not? Consider practicing on grass until you get used to them.
Old 2003-12-29, 11:47 PM   #3
thin_air
ride the wheel

Try it, because if they catch on youll be considred a visionary. Remember clipless pedals were considred insane on mtbs at one time so it could be a matter of time for unis
Old 2003-12-30, 12:01 AM   #4
Sofa
you - pee - dee

Mountainbikers LOVE clipless pedals.

they can't pull up on their seat for lift
Old 2003-12-30, 12:02 AM   #5
Borges
Unicyclist

If you're ready to take a fall flat on your face/back then I don't see why not. On grass you probably wouldn't hurt yourself.
Old 2003-12-30, 12:09 AM   #6
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

The poll did not mention if you meant on unicycles, or on any cycles.

Even on grass, you can easily break a finger, your wrist, or your nose the first time you start to fall and forget you're clipped in. I highly do not recommend clipless for unicycling. I know one highly experienced rider who broke a finger experimenting with clipless for track racing. After that, she switched them to her bike, and that was many years ago. She's still around. And track racing is on level ground!

Some people have used various forms of clipped or clipless pedals for unicycling and apparently not died. But they are the rare ones. As for me, I want absolutely instant release of my feet from the pedals, especially on rocky surfaces!

If you're talking about a bike, that's perfectly fine.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2003-12-30 at 12:11 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 01:42 AM   #7
bugman
NAUCC 2006 Memphis

I voted yes, but only if you post the video of your first attempts. Otherwise why bother.
bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 07:03 AM   #8
Klaas Bil
Newsgroup User

Re: Clipless...

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:14:12 -0600, joona
<joona@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Question: Have you used clipless pedals?

I haven't but Belgian unicyclist Lode De Paepe used them on his triple
climb of Mt. Ventoux. <http://www.lopa.be/>

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Today (30 December) is the last day this year that is not the last day this year.

Old 2003-12-30, 01:48 PM   #9
martin
Martin Anderseck

Send a message via ICQ to martin Send a message via MSN to martin
I've tried them a few weeks ago at my 20" uni. I think they could be pretty useful for riding one foot.
But in my opinion muni or trial is to dangerous with clipless pedals. Of course you can set the pedals to unclip easily but then the danger of unclipping when you don't want it is given, too. And according to Murphy's law you won't be able to unclip when you better should
If you try it do it on grass or on a flat way without any obstacles, screw the pedals to a low spring tension so that you almost fall out of the pedals. And don't go too fast because if you fall forwards you normally want to put the foot forwards from the pedal to the ground. But clipless pedals don't like unclipping forwards...
My clipless pedals are at my recumbent bike again, the quick release of normal pedals is more secure at the uni.
Give the clipless ones a try, but don't hurt yourself.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 02:48 PM   #10
zod
Southern Fried mUni

Send a message via AIM to zod
Clipless on a uni is a bad idea and really serves no purpose. A good set of platforms with nice sharp traction pins will give you all the stick you need.
I personally don't even run clipless on my mountain bike. If you know how to keep your feet on the pedals then what's the point in clipless? If you ride soley XC on your mountain bike and you want the efficientcy I guess clipless is OK, I personally am more of a freerider. I couln't imagine hitting dirt jumps or dropping of a 6 foot ledge clipped in. And I certainly couldn't imagine running clipless on a uni

All this being said, if you are gonna try clipless on a uni then don't use anything other than TIMES, they disengage much easier than any other clipless manufaturers.....

Last edited by zod; 2003-12-30 at 02:50 PM.
zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 04:57 PM   #11
joemarshall
dumb blonde

I suspect the big no-no is to ride with clipless pedals on your unicycle if you're not already used to them on your bike. Everyone has a few bad unclip moments when they first use them, on a bike these are funny, but on a unicycle they could really hurt.

Once you've crashed / fallen off a bike a few times and learnt to unclip instinctively, it might be worth giving them a try on a unicycle. I think most of the people using clipless pedals on unicycles now are people coming from mountain biking, who are used to them and used to unclipping from them. There's some trials riders doing it and also one rider at the Mountain Mayhem 24hr race here in the UK was using them last year.

Joe
joemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 05:18 PM   #12
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Re: Re: Clipless...

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaas Bil
I haven't but Belgian unicyclist Lode De Paepe used them on his triple climb of Mt. Ventoux. <http://www.lopa.be/>
Very impressive climbs! I would like to point out to all the would-be clipped-in experimenters, the heavy skating kneepads and wristguards Lode is using, even on his 20". Looks like he's already been there and done that...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 09:02 PM   #13
gerblefranklin

Tom Holub did the MT Diablo challenge (climb MT diablo 8,000ft of climbing) on a pashley 29er with clipless.

I voted yes to using clipless on a uni, because one time at unicycle basketball Tom let me try his 29er, with the clipless pedals, but I had normal shoes on, so I was never clipped in .
gerblefranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 09:53 PM   #14
cyberbellum
Level 1.0 rider!

I voted "yes, and Joona shouldn't try them."

I'll probably experiment with clipless pedals on a unicycle next summer because I think they offer advantages in power, speed and smoothness on the road. I've got tens of thousands of miles in my legs with both clipped and clipless pedals, and I've crashed with them on both the road and on the velodrome. Last summer I low-sided on a wet sweeper at about 35mph (as recorded on my cyclocomputer) without wrist protectors or other pads so I understand the risks.

I voted against Joona trying it because there are certain common-sense reflexes that long-term users have that will help prevent injury. IMHE, even long term bike users sometimes forget to unclip when they come to a stop. IMHO, it must already be second nature to unclip whenever prudent before trying clipless on a unicycle. By second nature, I mean that it happens without your having to conciously think about it. When I ride my fixed gear in traffic I sometimes find that I've already unclipped one leg in preparation for a stop and have to conciously re-clip. Without this wired-in body instinct I think it would be very difficult to unclip fast enough in the event of a UPD. I'm sure your feet will come off the pedals eventually, but not before some very painful angular momentum has built up. Fear the body slam, Joona!

There are only a few models that I could recommend. The Eggbeater mallet-C is probably the best. Clipping in and releasing are very smooth and predictable, the binding is solid in the pedaling plane, and there is a nice, big, toothy platform to stomp on when mounting the unicycle.

Last edited by cyberbellum; 2003-12-30 at 09:57 PM.
cyberbellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 12:29 AM   #15
MUNIYETI
The Abominable MUnicyclist

.... The problem I see is that on a Uni you would have to unclip BOTH feet everytime, on a bike most of the time ONE foot out is enough....If you clipped out of one pedal only on a uni (or worse a MUNi) you can imagine the nasty consequences....
MUNIYETI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clipless