Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2010-03-15, 05:14 PM   #16
amiantos
Official POEE Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbeatpope View Post
Hmmmm. Do I have a say in this?
Definitely not. Leave it to me. I'll handle everything and in no time we'll have 36ers for free, and only at the expense of your well being but it'll be OK as long as you still have both your legs you can unicycle... probably.
Old 2010-03-15, 09:57 PM   #17
deadbeatpope
Some call me Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiantos View Post
Definitely not. Leave it to me. I'll handle everything and in no time we'll have 36ers for free, and only at the expense of your well being but it'll be OK as long as you still have both your legs you can unicycle... probably.
Well, I was looking on UDC to see how much for a kh36. Over $850 without the brake! Looks like this is gonna be the only way. Make sure to negotiate the brakes into the deal.

Art is a misspelled rat.
"The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"
deadbeatpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 01:42 PM   #18
amiantos
Official POEE Unicyclist

So I went riding the route I describe here yesterday and it's great. It's about 7 miles, and maybe 1 mile of that is uphill hiking that is pretty much unridably steep. There are so many fun lengthy sections to ride that... well, I'm in love. I am so lucky that less than a 5 minute drive away from me I have an entire mountain to play around on, with so many ridable sections.

I'll be riding it a couple times a week at 4pm if anyone is off work at that time. The total ride time is about 2 hours, and that's with a couple breaks here and there to take pictures. Here's pictures I took yesterday...

http://www.google.com/buzz/amiantos/...s-more-like-it

http://www.google.com/buzz/amiantos/...ackground-Shit

http://www.google.com/buzz/amiantos/...-at-Rose-Hills

http://www.google.com/buzz/amiantos/...then-some-past

http://www.google.com/buzz/amiantos/...-shiny-spot-on

Tons of fun. The ending descent is great. It's very steep but totally manageable without breaks if you've got good knees, exhausting and gutbusting in the same way a sharp climb is. Loved it.
Old 2010-03-24, 12:06 AM   #19
crazyjoe
working on gliding-currently at 25'

Hey Amiantos, I'm Joe. I don't believe we've met, have we? I've been gone from this forum for a few months and I don't remember seeing you.

Sorry to barge in on your thread and change the subject a little bit, but I live in Anaheim Hills, not too far from you. I just got my license one week ago so I can finally drive to some of these rides. If you ever want to meet up for another ride, I'd be more than happy to. Let me know if you've got any more planned, and I'll try to be there.
crazyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 01:30 AM   #20
lobbybopster
Unicyclist

SoCal Rides

Hey CrazyJoe,
Longtime no hear, I've ridden with Amiantoes, and others from this forum. You two would get along. But please post here for another ride. I'm still circling the loop.
LOBBY
lobbybopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 04:45 PM   #21
amiantos
Official POEE Unicyclist

If anyone wants to meet up Saturday for a Turnbull Canyon ride, I've pretty much 'mastered' a good solid loop that clocks in a little under 7 miles, and only maybe three quarters of a mile or so of it is a hike up some hills that are unrideably steep in my opinion. The scenery is great (check my Buzz posts in this thread). The ride takes about 2 hours if we stop several times to gaze at the scenery. There's also variety: people who want to do singletrack, there's a fun bit of singletrack right near the end, and people who'd rather just have a nice challenging but manageable-without-brakes steep descent can go a different way (I, myself, prefer the steep descent as the singletrack ends with a bit of an uphill hike that I am not at all in the mood for by the time I get here), and both sections meet up at the same place.

This is mostly a "fire road" ride, but I think it's all a lot of fun to ride and is a fantastic challenge just because of the numerous hills. If we reach the bottom and don't feel tired out, we can hike the mile back up and take a piece of really long downhill singletrack that I recently discovered and haven't ridden that looks like a ton of fun... but it's treacherous, cliff side the whole way.

Anyhoo... looking forward to maybe seeing some of you Saturday! here's a link showing where you can park, or you can park further down the street anywhere on Painter and meet at this location. Let me know if you intend to show up and we can decide on what time would be good. I hit the trail at 10am last Saturday and it was great, temperature wise. During the week I usually hit it at about 4-5pm and the temp is great then, too, if a little warm until 5.

Last edited by amiantos; 2010-03-24 at 04:53 PM.
amiantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 04:55 AM   #22
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Hi Amiantos,

Peter (the talented one) and I were talking about getting together for a ride this Saturday. I do not have a lot of time, and Turnbull Canyon ride looks like fun bit it is a bit far away. Would you consider something farther south? I would suggest the Crystal Cove State Park or the Aliso Wood Canyon and Wilderness Park. Both of them have a variety of riding trails available.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-25, 02:51 PM   #23
amiantos
Official POEE Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott ttocs View Post
Hi Amiantos,

Peter (the talented one) and I were talking about getting together for a ride this Saturday. I do not have a lot of time, and Turnbull Canyon ride looks like fun bit it is a bit far away. Would you consider something farther south? I would suggest the Crystal Cove State Park or the Aliso Wood Canyon and Wilderness Park. Both of them have a variety of riding trails available.

Scott
Just tell me/us where to go and what time to be there... We could probably start a less cluttered thread. ("Official SoCal Muni Meetup Planning Thread" or something...)

Last edited by amiantos; 2010-03-25 at 02:51 PM.
Old 2010-03-26, 02:54 AM   #24
pfalvi
Unicyclist

Saturday March 27

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been here for a while. School and rehearsals have been eating my life. But I have a day off on Saturday! I'd love to meet up with anybody who has time for it! (I know Scott already posted about this, but thought I'd put in my ten cents too. =P ) So let's get it going! Maybe all the guys from last time and then some?
I'll be in the same vehicle as Scott, so only times that work for him will work for me. But I'm pumped!
pfalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 03:35 AM   #25
crazyjoe

I'm willing to go to any of the locations you mentioned. Turnbull, Crystal Cove, Aliso Wood, Wilderness. I don't have an opinion, I've only ridden Aliso Wood. Just let me know if you decide and when we're going.
Old 2010-03-26, 03:57 AM   #26
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Here is a specific suggestion: we meet at the intersection of East Costal peak and Ridge Park Road in Newport at 10:30 AM Saturday morning. Bring lots of water! Here is a map of the area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...92657&t=h&z=16

I think we can park anywhere along Ridge Park road. This location is the upper entrance to Crystal Cove Wilderness area:

http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/index.html

I have riden around the upper ridge and it is easy fire roads and horse trails. If we head down the hill I think it gets a LOT more exciting. (I have not tried it but would like to give it a go.)

One can ride all the way to the beach! The downside is that one would need to ride back up to the ridge.

I propose that we ride around and decide how far down we want to go. The area is popular with mountain bikers and the views are wonderful. Bring a camera! Did I mention bringing water? There is no water in the park.

Let me know if you plan to attend. I would consider counter-proposals.

Scott
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 04:07 AM   #27
crazyjoe

Quote:
Here is a specific suggestion: we meet at the intersection of East Costal peak and Ridge Park Road in Newport at 10:30 AM Saturday morning. Bring lots of water! Here is a map of the area:

I think we can park anywhere along Ridge Park road. This location is the upper entrance to Crystal Cove Wilderness area:

http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/index.html

I have riden around the upper ridge and it is easy fire roads and horse trails. If we head down the hill I think it gets a LOT more exciting. (I have not tried it but would like to give it a go.)

One can ride all the way to the beach! The downside is that one would need to ride back up to the ridge.

I propose that we ride around and decide how far down we want to go. The area is popular with mountain bikers and the views are wonderful. Bring a camera! Did I mention bringing water? There is no water in the park.

Let me know if you plan to attend. I would consider counter-proposals.

Scott
I'm fine with that. It's not a bad drive for me. I've never ridden there, is it all exposed? fire road or sandy? what's the riding distance? That's all I would like to know.

EDIT: nevermind about the fire roads part. I just re-read your post more carefully and found my answer.

Last edited by crazyjoe; 2010-03-26 at 04:10 AM.
Old 2010-03-26, 04:29 AM   #28
pfalvi
Unicyclist

Plan!

It's a plan! There will be at least four of us there. What about the other guys? Lobby? DeadBeat? MtnJeffe? And anyone else interested? It'll be awesome.
pfalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 04:42 AM   #29
deadbeatpope
Some call me Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalvi View Post
It's a plan! There will be at least four of us there. What about the other guys? Lobby? DeadBeat? MtnJeffe? And anyone else interested? It'll be awesome.
Unfortunately I will be sequestered until Sunday

I would love to go again when I can. Maybe I can meet Amiantos for one of his Turnbull sessions. Planning on buying a proper muni very soon too!

Have lots of fun for me!

Art is a misspelled rat.
"The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"
deadbeatpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 03:50 PM   #30
amiantos
Official POEE Unicyclist

Quote:

50 minute drive for me... I guess that's fine. Busy weekend for me. I have a concert to go to tonight, then wake up early and eat breakfast, head out there... unicycle like mad... head home, pass out, wake up, go to ANOTHER concert... such a hard life!

I'll be there at 10:30. For sure. So if I'm running late, wait up for me.

Hey, I'm getting something in Google Maps about there being a partial toll road. Is the 73 a toll road? Should I be concerned?

Last edited by amiantos; 2010-03-26 at 03:52 PM.

Tags
amiantos is a hipster, meetup, muni, socal, tomorrow