Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-03-07, 02:34 AM   #46
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
Just a quick FY('all's)I, at this point I'm planning to be at Santos (near Gainesville/Ocala) this Sunday 3/8/09. If anybody's already going to be in the area, feel free to give me a ring area code 941 then 447 then 5844 (there, now spambots can't leave me messages when they gain text-to-speech capabilities)

*shiver*,

billnye
John M

Last edited by billnye; 2009-03-07 at 02:37 AM.
billnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 03:02 AM   #47
BrianP
Unicyclist

Send a message via Skype™ to BrianP
I will be at Santos tomorrow 11 am. I am planning on being at the main trailhead off of 441. If anyone is interested in meeting please send me a PM. I was going to meet billnye but it seems things may have fallen through there.

BrianP
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 03:12 AM   #48
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
:\ I really wanted to get out there, too... there were a couple new people I was gonna meet up with, biker and unicyclist both. oh well.

I'll keep my "ear to the grindstone" for any other opportunities to get up that direction, and the offer of an Alafia tour still stands any time you're down this.

billnye
John M
Old 2009-03-08, 02:42 PM   #49
BrianP
Unicyclist

I can't wait to meet up at Alafai. I know things don't work out. I run into that problem myself far too often. It makes the times when things do come together even better

Off to the trails now. I'll let you know how my first time out there (on uni) goes later.
Brian

Last edited by BrianP; 2009-03-08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2009-03-08, 06:36 PM   #50
BrianP
Unicyclist

First time Muni

I had a great time at Santos today. My wife and son went along and luckily my wife (Unouni) agreed to take some pics and video. My shin guards don't get here until tomorrow to my shins dismay! I rode yellow trails today but it was fun and flowing. I also did some trials stuff in the skill park. Here are a couple pics of the riding.

Thanks for all the help form everyone!

Last edited by BrianP; 2009-03-08 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2009-03-09, 08:37 PM   #51
BrianP
Unicyclist

I went out there again today and did some blue trails. I was amazed how much easier it was the second time. I find the hardest part to be getting started in the middle of a rock bed or a real rooty section. It's a fun challenge though

Thanks!
Brian
Old 2009-03-14, 05:20 PM   #52
BrianP
Unicyclist

I will be riding at Santos tomorrow 3/15 at Santos MTB Park. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. I am thinking of going out between 11 and noon.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 2009-03-17, 12:30 AM   #53
billnye
Junior Mint

Brian: How'd your sunday-ride-in-the-park go? Is it (slowly? quickly?) becoming easier to get "reset" when you fall off in less-than-ideal terrain? It's a great thing to work on, since if it caused you to fall off in the first place, it might very well make it hard to START off again Hopping in place to reset your balance can be a handy tool for that situation, as well as many others.

I'm not very familiar with Santos aside from the (relatively constant) loop I've ridden the couple times on Santos trailhead side, and Nayl's Trails on the 49th Ave side, but what stuff have you been practicing on, so far?

I might be up your way next Saturday, crashing the FTF for a day... Details remain to be ironed out, but I'll let you know as things move along. Maybe we can work out a meeting finally, hehe. Sunday is planned for Alafia as well, "as is our custom".

Next ye^H^H^H week in Jeru^H^H^H^H^H Ocala,

billnye
John M
Old 2009-03-17, 12:58 AM   #54
BrianP
Unicyclist

I am getting much better on starting in really rough areas. I practiced a lot on the top of the vortex where I had to start a very long rough downhill in a small rocky area. To my dismay the proceeding series of wrecks were not filmed including the last bad one where I fell back with my leg folded under me and smacked my elbow on a rock pretty hard. Luckily I had been riding for about 3 hrs at that point so it was time to go. I rode today in town hopping stairs and working on SIF riding and all seems well after some ice and rest. I use the hop to get stabilized in those areas and it helps. I can meet on Saturday with no problem. Just let me know. Do you still have my #?

Here is a small video of some of the Sunday fun at santos MTB Park

Last edited by BrianP; 2009-03-17 at 01:01 AM.
Old 2009-03-18, 07:10 PM   #55
BrianP
Unicyclist

I am going out for sure on Saturday at 11am. I will be at the main Santos trailhead just off Hwy 441 for anyone who would like to meetup. I'll be the guy with one wheel PM if you are coming.

Brian
Old 2009-03-18, 08:53 PM   #56
billnye
Junior Mint

Brian: I had a lovely post all typed up last night, before my computer decided to crash unceremoniously.

You're coming along scary-good for only a few weeks riding so far. You have the same wobble to your riding that I noticed in the other freakishly-quick-learning bike-rider-for-ages guy I rode with... masked, for those of us "normal" learners by falling off with much greater frequency when we're still at your stage, I'm guessing ;P

I'll try to work out the details on my carpooling situation up northward, and let you know what's going on later in the week.

billlnye
John M
Old 2009-03-21, 12:11 AM   #57
BrianP
Unicyclist

Looking forward to seeing you on the trails tomorrow John.(Sat. 3/21 10am main trailhead) Just a heads up, it is the Fat Tire Festival this weekend so it will be busy and fun! See: http://omba.org/ for the details. I hope some other people can make it out to ride
Old 2009-03-21, 09:22 PM   #58
BrianP
Unicyclist

It was great meeting you and Bill today John. I still can't say how impressed I am with the stuff you can ride both up and down! It was a great time andI look forward to riding with you again soon! Here are the pics from earlier. The timer pic of the three of us is a little blurry but...

Old 2009-03-22, 12:53 AM   #59
steveyo
...feeding the machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
It was great meeting you and Bill today John. I still can't say how impressed I am with the stuff you can ride both up and down! It was a great time andI look forward to riding with you again soon! Here are the pics from earlier. The timer pic of the three of us is a little blurry but...

Florida bad-a$$ uni gang!

- a few uni race write-ups
- muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers
steveyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 01:53 AM   #60
billnye
Junior Mint

SteveYo: You're still an honorary member, even if you didn't get to ride with those two. Bill was busy with bike races, and BrianP hadn't started riding yet afaik... which by my reckoning and his progress so far... let's see... means he was probably ready to come out and tackle some trails at Alafia! (I keed, I keed)

Brian: Definitely great ride today. It was nice to meet your family, and interesting to ride with another of you freakishly-fast learners. I blame it on the years of MTB beforehand. Have a great trip, and I hope the leg/knee are back to normal quickly.

Tomorrow's Alafia, let's hope I can hold together after the beating Santos gave me

"one tired guy",
billnye
John M

P.S. wait--that's Kris, not me!

Tags
florida, floridaverse, meetup, muni