Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-06, 06:57 PM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
How you'd set up a drag brake like OP's with hydraulics, I don't know
Yeah, that's what I'd like to have, for those long downhills that area steady.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 02:59 AM   #17
AJ KJ
Unicyclist

Freewheelers might be able to benefit from this if our hubs were ISIS, or if there was an option for cotterless cranks that were compatable with external discs. I’m riding brakeless, but for people still using brakes (read: “sensible people”) being able to stop the cranks and keep coasting could have a much more stable platform to balance and hop on. I’ll have to see if I can set something up tomorrow to experiment. It could certainly help my power transfer while pumping.
Old 2019-04-07, 06:23 AM   #18
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

For the cotterless cranks you could use a young rider bmx right crank spider. I used it for my huni-rex... however you will need 2 brake, one for the cranks only and one for the wheel
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-07, 11:48 AM   #19
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ KJ View Post
Freewheelers might be able to benefit from this if our hubs were ISIS, or if there was an option for cotterless cranks that were compatable with external discs. I’m riding brakeless, but for people still using brakes (read: “sensible people”) being able to stop the cranks and keep coasting could have a much more stable platform to balance and hop on. I’ll have to see if I can set something up tomorrow to experiment. It could certainly help my power transfer while pumping.
In the pre-KH Spirit past, there was a disk brake kit using Sinz cranks and a rotor attached to the spider (maybe it was Mountainuni like the UCM adapter).

Anyway, Sinz sells these cranks in both ISIS and square. So theoretically, you could test what you described
Old 2019-04-07, 07:46 PM   #20
AJ KJ
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
For the cotterless cranks you could use a young rider bmx right crank spider. I used it for my huni-rex... however you will need 2 brake, one for the cranks only and one for the wheel
Do you have a link? I wasn’t able to find anything. And I know I’d need two brakes if I wanted to be able to stop, but I’m currently not using any brakes on my F26, so I’d just use the one to keep my cranks stable. If I wanted to add a stoping brake later then I’d have to figure out that setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhartha Valmont View Post
In the pre-KH Spirit past, there was a disk brake kit using Sinz cranks and a rotor attached to the spider (maybe it was Mountainuni like the UCM adapter).

Anyway, Sinz sells these cranks in both ISIS and square. So theoretically, you could test what you described
I found the Sinz Cotterless cranks. Are the adapters still sold? Some older photos seem to show the disc mounted directly to the spider.
Old 2019-04-07, 08:29 PM   #21
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

You can look for younger bike components like: https://kidsracing.co.uk/collections...rrow-q-factors
For the rotor attached directly to the spider I bought exactly the Muni pre-KH version. It seems to me that Yogi sold it to me. However I still own one if you are located in Europe

Last edited by Vogelfrei80; 2019-04-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2019-04-07, 08:40 PM   #22
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

The rotor attached to a square taper crank spider
Attached Images

Old 2019-04-08, 12:08 AM   #23
JimT
Unicyclist

With a trouble free mechanical brake something like this could be done relatively easily.

Last edited by JimT; 2019-04-08 at 12:09 AM.
JimT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-08, 12:41 AM   #24
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
With a trouble free mechanical brake something like this could be done relatively easily.
Did you experience any difference from a Mec.DB vs a HDB?
Old 2019-04-08, 01:00 AM   #25
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
Did you experience any difference from a Mec.DB vs a HDB?
I've never used a HDB (hydraulic disk brake) but this brake seems to work very well. The cable is very short and has very little bend in it with nearly a straight shot from the handle to the brake. I suppose there would be more of an advantage with HDB's when the cable/hydraulic line had to be longer with more bends. Details at: https://pbase.com/jimthode/brake
JimT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-07, 10:13 PM   #26
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Shimano just introduced a gravel bike groupset, which mostly seems silly to me, but it includes an optional in-line hydraulic brake lever so you can put an extra brake lever on your bar tops, to go with the normal drop bar position.

Quote:
An additional braking option comes with an inline hydraulic sub-brake lever (BL-RX812-L/R) which connects to the main hydraulic line running to the front and/or the rear caliper. The sub-brake lever is designed to be mounted on the handlebar next to the stem offering options for braking when riding with hands on the tops.
Read more here
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 11:45 AM   #27
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
Shimano just introduced a gravel bike groupset, which mostly seems silly to me, but it includes an optional in-line hydraulic brake lever so you can put an extra brake lever on your bar tops, to go with the normal drop bar position.
If these are a vaguely reasonable price when they're released then I'll probably get myself one to try for the freewheel (with bars).
I wonder whether the main lever is designed differently to facilitate this secondary lever or if it'll be compatible as an addition to other setups. I feel like the auto-adjusting on the main lever would probably cause issues.
The model is the BL-RX812.
They do also look quite small:
https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...azine-ay_1.jpg
https://www.cxmagazine.com/wp-conten...azine-ay_1.jpg

Last edited by mowcius; 2019-05-08 at 11:46 AM.
mowcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 08:54 PM   #28
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

It says it maintains compatability with their road and MTB groupsets, so I guess you could put an MTB lever on the end rather than an STI lever (which might be a bit too long/awkwardly angled for a uni)

Interesting though!

EDIT: My CX bike has these extra inline levers, not hydraulic but the levers are indeed very small compared to the STI's on the hoods.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Last edited by Piece Maker; 2019-05-10 at 08:55 PM.
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 10:09 AM   #29
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
It says it maintains compatability with their road and MTB groupsets, so I guess you could put an MTB lever on the end rather than an STI lever (which might be a bit too long/awkwardly angled for a uni)
"The new RX812 inline levers are compatible with other older Shimano hydraulic drop bar levers, but aren’t expected to arrive until September."

I presume older drop-bar levers also auto-adjust, but I still can't quite work this out.

Size wise, I've run two finger levers for ages, normally just using one finger, so they might be OK.

Tags
brake, dual, levers