Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-09-09, 04:48 AM   #16
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
26" "freestyle" uni (never heard of such a thing)
This one: http://www.municycle.com.au/catalogu...6BLU_item.html

That model might be known by other names elsewhere. It's tough but skinny.
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 05:09 AM   #17
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Interesting! The same unicycle has the same name, and the same description on UDC USA. The difference is that you can't find it under Freestyle, since that category is limited to 20" wheels there. You have to look under "Road" to find this uni, which is neither Freestyle nor Road in the configuration shown. Though you can order it with 125mm cranks, that's still kind of long for Road. I don't know what crank size would get good for Freestyle with a 26" wheel, though I did used to do Freestyle on a 24". We used to do everything on a 24". I was part of the wave of riders that made 20" the de-facto size for Freestyle.

Sem and Teresa (Abrahams) do their show on 24", and that wheel size lends itself to bigger, swoopy moves. I've also seen professional performers using 26" wheels, but not for really technical riding.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 05:44 AM   #18
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Quote:
Interesting! The same unicycle has the same name, and the same description on UDC USA. The difference is that you can't find it under Freestyle, since that category is limited to 20" wheels there. You have to look under "Road" to find this uni, which is neither Freestyle nor Road in the configuration shown. Though you can order it with 125mm cranks, that's still kind of long for Road.
That's my ride, with the 125's! I do like it, though would probably opt for a 29er for cycle paths, if I could have a do-over. Perhaps I should get still shorter cranks?

But if folks are going to call it a freestyle, I guess I no longer have any excuse for not being able to idle it.

(except perhaps inexperience?)

Last edited by Engineer on a Unicycle; 2015-09-09 at 05:44 AM.
Engineer on a Unicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 04:03 AM   #19
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNNate View Post
I am really liking the idea of getting the nimbus muni with KH Spirit cranks and a disk brake. I fills all the things that I want the most, and it's the cheapest.
Fixed

If I had the discipline to save up, I'd deffinitely get a Muni w/ an aluminum frame even though its not rotating mass. (for me I can use any bit of help I can get)

Also consider the Qu-Ax Series (inbound disk). The 26" isn't on their site anymore, just the 24 & 27.5, but the 27.5 does come w/ 125/145 dual hole cranks.
http://www.einradladen.com/webshop/5...axle-Disc-Muni

I've tried unis w/ different width tires and rims. If I had to choose I'd definately pick a wider rim (Nimbus 42mm, Qu-Ax 40mm, KH 47mm). I think a Large Marge rim (65mm) may be going overboard for a tire 3" or less. A rim w/ a wider rim gives a more damp feeling to the tire (good for rolling over bumps). Narrower is a more springy feel (good for hopping higher).

The Oregon gets it's weight from the wider rim, steel frame. I think the tire is actually a bit lighter than a Duro

Maguras can rub if the wheel comes out of true, and from wheel flex on steep uphills. I've never heard of either happening w/ disks.

I've never heard of anyone getting hurt from hitting an outbound disk. Some have bent it on rocks in UPDs but I've heard its easy to bend back. If you are thinking of getting a geared hub in the future, its only compatible w/ a outbound disk, a KH is best (I've heard of people getting the geared hub to work w/ other frames). Personally I'd get a Muni w/ an inbound disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle
They list the 3" Duro on the 26" KH without brake (the one that doesn't say 2015) and also give a 12 lbs weight for that one.
The KH weight is w/o breaks, the Oracle, Oregon, & Qu-Ax Series is w/ break. But 12 lbs seems suspiciously light to me.
Quote:
Sem and Teresa (Abrahams) do their show on 24", and that wheel size lends itself to bigger, swoopy moves. I've also seen professional performers using 26" wheels, but not for really technical riding.
They still perform? I thought they stopped over a decade ago.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2015-09-10 at 04:21 AM.
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 04:17 AM   #20
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilewis74 View Post
I've never heard of anyone getting hurt from hitting an outbound disk. Some have bent it on rocks in UPDs but I've heard its easy to bend back.
I think what people are referring to is getting sliced by it if they have weird dismounts, like where your leg gets wedged between the spokes and crank.

Also I just did successfully straighten my disk, from advice given to me by a guy at the bike shop. He said they just use an adjustable crescent wrench, and patience, to work them back into true. You just have to take your time.
Quote:
They still perform? I thought they stopped over a decade ago.
Oh I hope not. I haven't actually seen them in several years, but they are my contemporaries, being one and two years younger than me respectively. I know they're not too old, I just know it!

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
Old 2015-09-10, 04:26 AM   #21
skilewis74

Getting cut isn't something to worry about from what I've heard.

But I still do, along w/ damaging the disk in UPD's which is why I'll get a new uni w/ an inbound disk if I ever upgrade to disk. Now, I'm most considering an Oracle w/ KH rim.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building

Last edited by skilewis74; 2015-09-10 at 04:28 AM.
Old 2015-09-10, 05:50 AM   #22
juggleaddict
late-night rider

Send a message via AIM to juggleaddict
Quote:

If I had the discipline to save up, I'd deffinitely get a Muni w/ an aluminum frame even though its not rotating mass. (for me I can use any bit of help I can get)
calculated it today, the nimbus 29" steel muni frame is .33 lbs heavier than the 29" oracle. Pretty negligible. They do claim exactly 810g for the 29 frame as well as the 26 frame though, so I'm not sure how accurate that is. They are different frame designs. The 24 frame is listed as lighter than the 26. In any case, you just have to decide if an extra $100 is worth 1/3 less lbs. : P

For perspective, I carry about 40-50 oz of water on my rides, and 1/3 lb is about 5 oz of water, and the frame isn't rolling weight, remember.

Quote:

Maguras can rub if the wheel comes out of true, and from wheel flex on steep uphills. I've never heard of either happening w/ disks.
If your wheel is that out of true, you should probably get it fixed. Heck, I'd almost consider that a good thing if it indicates you've damaged your wheel before breaking it.

As for rubbing on steeps or under pressure, there have been a couple of debates about whether that's the frame, wheel, or both. Either way, the effect is lessened on a smaller wheel. I haven't heard of anybody having any issues unless it was on a 36er. Specifically the nightrider pro frame, which I have, and can attest that it's very flexy. . . as frames go. : )
Old 2015-09-10, 09:28 AM   #23
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

Quote:
I've never heard of anyone getting hurt from hitting an outbound disk.
Quote:
Getting cut isn't something to worry about from what I've heard.
Not?

Whole Story

I've cut my leg once, but my Shimano SLX Rotor is not very sharp, so it was not deep. No scar remains.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 06:37 AM   #24
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleaddict View Post
As for rubbing on steeps or under pressure, there have been a couple of debates about whether that's the frame, wheel, or both. Either way, the effect is lessened on a smaller wheel. I haven't heard of anybody having any issues unless it was on a 36er. Specifically the nightrider pro frame, which I have, and can attest that it's very flexy. . . as frames go.
Yes, the Nightriders are more flexy than most frames. It can happen with smaller wheels/frames as well, but definitely is easier to acheive on 36" wheels. I think for rim brake issues, if you get rub from hard pedaling, it's more likely happening in the frame than in the wheel. Even loose bearings can do it.

Old 2015-09-11, 07:16 AM   #25
pierrox
Unicyclist

At the end of the day, the munis you listed are not cheap vs expensive, they're more mid-range vs high-end.
None are entry level cheap components. So pick one, they're all good.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 09:18 AM   #26
skilewis74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
Not?

Whole Story

I've cut my leg once, but my Shimano SLX Rotor is not very sharp, so it was not deep. No scar remains.
OUCH!
That sucks. Were you wearing leg guards? (I can't read your link since it's in Italian and the translate button didn't work)

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
Old 2015-09-11, 10:06 AM   #27
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

I also can't really read it. But the pictures say everything. Don't know if he wore leg guards.

I wore shin guards that are open at the back as is cut my calf, luckily it cut only the dermal layers and not the flesh. But I was not going fast at this moment. It was on a downhill, I wanted to get off but ended coasting a few meters and then fell of to the back with my leg between rotor and wheel.

I guess, as long as you do not mount very sharp saw-blade-like rotors outbord everything is fine and there is no risk to hurt yourself as much as in the photo.
02.06.2019: Europamarathon
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-11, 10:13 AM   #28
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Yeah, that disk looks crazy!
lightbulbjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-04, 03:35 AM   #29
TrevEv
Tre>. E>.

Oracle Frame Capacity

I have a 26" oracle frame, and I was wondering:

1. How wide of a 26" rim can I cram in there?
2. How wide of a 26" tire?
(I have only tried the stock sizes so far.)

Thanks!

Tags
cheap, expensive, muni