Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-02-08, 11:36 PM   #466
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Yes, I have some positive comments!
As of February 5, 2017, 9am pacific standard time...
He hasn't destroyed the planet Earth yet.
He hasn't destroyed the human race yet.
...well, you can cross those off the list.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/861/
Old 2017-02-09, 04:10 AM   #467
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jona View Post
My take, is the reason Trump won, is the people are tired of the Government/People relationship.
...Apparently because they listened ONLY to his words, while actively plugging their ears and going "LA-LA-LA-LA" to every report of what he did, what his business track record was, what he bragged to Billy Bush, etc. A HUUUGE gamble! Maybe he will completely change his personality if he wins the election! Yeah no.

At least if you're playing Roulette, and just keep betting over and over on Double Zero, you only lose the money you've put down...

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 04:40 AM   #468
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I have it on good authority that the Trump administration is running "Like a fine-tuned machine."

Now that's a relief. Until that I thought I was in the Twilight Zone or something...

Now I'm sure.

Old 2017-02-17, 04:03 PM   #469
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

I agree with Trump that the media is out to get him. For example, pictures were published of an administration official holding the nuclear "football" (a bag containing codes for launching a nuclear war) during some Trump event at a golf course. The "football" has existed for a long time, and I don't recall the media making a big deal out of it with past presidents. The media are sending the message to the public: Is this the person whose finger you want on the nuclear button?

If the Trump administration's Russian ties destroy his presidency, that will most likely coincide in worsening relations with Russia, the other major nuclear superpower. Some of Trump's enemies are cold warriors committed to further NATO expansion and containment of Russia; this could provoke a military confrontation.

Either way, things aren't looking good.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 05:47 PM   #470
song
Unicyclist

Trump is definitely escalating Obama’s war on immigrants, but the fight now raging within America’s ruling elite is mostly over conflicting visions of Armageddon: The Trump faction seems to want it to flow from nuclear confrontation only with China, while the rest of the bourgeoisie seems to favor adding war with Russia to the mix. They have already made large investments of money, hardware and troop deployments for this purpose, which they are now defending by having their newspapers feverishly attack Trump in every way imaginable.

The good news is that, if the members of the bourgeoisie are fighting each other, they are less able to unleash their terror on the rest of us.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-17, 10:01 PM   #471
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post

Either way, things aren't looking good.
Things are looking GREAT! Hellary is not president!

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post

The good news is that...
There is no good news. Trump is president.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.

Last edited by harper; 2017-02-17 at 10:02 PM.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 10:14 AM   #472
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

must read for those who think that reason is failing : http://nautil.us/issue/45/power/the-anatomy-of-charisma
Old 2017-02-18, 03:56 PM   #473
song
Unicyclist

That article mentions an appearance by Obama in Berlin toward the beginning of his presidency which was attended, if I recall correctly, by 200,000 people, and an audience member there who was ecstatic about Obama's speech, but couldn’t recall what he had said! The article doesn’t mention a much more recent appearance by Obama in Berlin, after he had spent several years bombing and regime-changing Africa, the Middle East, Ukraine and probably Honduras. This second Berlin appearance was indoors, and was attended by only 400 people, and they were carefully vetted beforehand to make sure there would be no troublemakers.

From the beginning, the Obama phenomenon was always carefully orchestrated by huge teams of spin doctors with massive budgets and public opinion polls, so I don’t know how much of a factor his individual charisma really was. He was certainly far more appealing and more capable than George W. Bush, and thus more dangerous, but above all he was part of a larger operation. His first presidential campaign cost $600 million, the second, $1 billion. Perhaps as a result of such careful scripting and orchestration, Barack (“We Tortured Some Folks”) Obama left us with very few memorable quotes. In that regard, Donald (“Grab ‘em by the Pussy”) Trump has already surpassed him.

American capitalism could not survive without the racist oppression of black people, and most Americans thought that a black man in the White House was something they would never see. But school re-segregation, racist police terror, black people being priced out of their neighborhoods, driven out of the work force and imprisoned at much higher rates than average for the US (where the incarceration rate, even for white people, is already very high)... all this stuff continued its expansion under Obama. He never promised black people anything, but from him, people heard what they wanted to hear. That was always a big part of his popularity.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-18, 05:47 PM   #474
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
must read for those who think that reason is failing : http://nautil.us/issue/45/power/the-anatomy-of-charisma
Not sure what anyone finds charismatic about Trump. He strikes me as utterly without empathy (something the article, above, mentioned as a characteristic of charismastics). The article also mentions that charismatics help people ignore cognitive dissonance. The fact that the uncharismatic Donald Trump appeals to so many people ... indicates they are looking for any excuse to turn off their rational minds.

I am going to have to re-re-re-read Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. The main character, Holden Caufield, is put-off by phonies:

"Where I lived at Pencey, I lived in the Ossenburger Memorial Wing of the new dorms. […] It was named after this guy Ossenburger that went to Pencey. He made a pot of dough in the undertaking business after he got out of Pencey. […] He made a speech that lasted about ten hours. He started off with about fifty corny jokes, just to show us what a regular guy he was. Very big deal. Then he started telling us how he was never ashamed, when he was in some kind of trouble or something, to get right down his knees and pray to God. He told us we should always pray to God—talk to Him and all—wherever we were. He told us we ought to think of Jesus as our buddy and all. He said he talked to Jesus all the time. Even when he was driving his car. That killed me. I just see the big phony bastard shifting into first gear and asking Jesus to send him a few more stiffs."
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #475
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I agree with Trump that the media is out to get him.
Me too. Some of what they say about him is about meaningless stuff, and is kind of a waste of everyone's time. And I suppose when they ask for clarity on his outright lies or contradictory statements, that's annoying to him so he sees that as "out to get him" also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo
...pictures were published of an administration official holding the nuclear "football" (a bag containing codes for launching a nuclear war) during some Trump event at a golf course. The "football" has existed for a long time, and I don't recall the media making a big deal out of it with past presidents.
The issue was not about the football being out in the open, it was about a strategy meeting being held out in the open, surrounded by random people with their cell phones out. The pictures you're referring to may have been taken by one of the guests with their phone.

Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #476
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
You can only put lipstick on a pig for so long.
We're supposed to believe that economic and national security decisions being made on the golf course ... is something new? After Obama became president, he switched from basketball to golf as his exercise of choice.

Trump's conflicts of interest are so overt, so over-the-top, that if we got rid of him and all the villains in his cabinet, we'd mistakenly view this as progress. In reality, we'd be left with a less overt, more subtle version of the same thing.

Tags
sanders, tomorrow, trump, vote