Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2008-10-04, 02:45 AM   #1
UNIhippy
Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to UNIhippy
New Jersey Riders

Anyone near Budd Lake, NJ. Im new to the area and dont know where to ride.
UNIhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 05:58 PM   #2
vanpaun
Unicyclist

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72888
vanpaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 02:40 PM   #3
BoojiBoy
Team Unicycle Max

Send a message via AIM to BoojiBoy
New Jersey is not New England. Even Northern Jersey is a good 4 1/2 hours to Boston.

I'm sure there are some local riders that you can find. New York has a lot of riders, and Philadelphia has a few.

My advice would be to just start riding around a lot, it's a good way to get to know the streets in your neighborhood.
BoojiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 07:23 PM   #4
einrad101
Unicyclist

hey man i was just by budd lake saturday. I did some muni at the delware water gap, which i think is pretty close to you right?
Anyway i am from manahawkin (LBI), but go to school at Rowan University.
My sister lives in Long Valley, which is also pretty close to you I believe. I visit her fairly often so the next time i had up i will be sure to let you know.
I myself dont really know any other nj unicyclists

Philadelphia Area Unicyclists:
http://groups.google.com/group/philly-unicyclists

my pitiful attempt at a mainly unicycling related blog.....
http://andyunicycles.blogspot.com/
einrad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 06:07 PM   #5
xtor
UNIPSYCHO

Send a message via Skype™ to xtor
We have a unicycle club in New Jersey; Though, Budd Lake is more then a unicycle ride from here That being said, if you are ever in the area let us know.

There are many unicyclist here in Jersey. Occasionally we visit the NYC club where they have more than one hundred members.

Last edited by xtor; 2008-10-07 at 06:09 PM.
xtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-14, 01:22 PM   #6
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Send a message via AIM to crazyunicyclerNJ
I know this is old, but I am from Denville area, and pass through Budd Lake a few times a week. i am always looking for someone to ride with, and am teaching someone from Hackettstown
crazyunicyclerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 03:55 PM   #7
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Curious, does anyone know anything about the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail or the (possibly ?) connecting Lawrence Hopewell trail?

From wschruba at bike forums
Quote:
I would second this. The canal path is easily doable with 25mm+ tires, unless it's rained in the past couple of days. It's a solid 50 miles round trip from Alexander in Princeton, to the park at the other end in New Brunswick. Kingston/Princeton/Lawrenceville is the iffiest section of the canal, as it is natural surface (dirt), and the most heavily used. There are two spots where you are almost certainly going to have to walk over a 30 foot cobble spillway, if you head this direction.

Lambertville/New Hope is also just about 50 miles round trip, from Alexander...also a nice area, and also mostly off-road. There are a couple of sections in Trenton where you have to watch out for broken glass (the paved area just north of the city proper, and one section that cuts behind some houses around Chauncy, I think), but most of the trail is in good repair, if you started at the turning point park (canoe/kayak rentals) on Alexander, and headed south.

You could even start at Washington's Crossing park, and go further along the feeder canal into the Frenchtown area. This section of the trail is almost all packed pea gravel, and very easy for a road bike with even moderate tires (25-28+).

Otherwise, you can set out into the Hopewell Valley; check the Lawrence-Hopewell Trail, which can be connected from the canal towpath in Lawrenceville (or accessed from the history house in Lawrenceville). There is one area, if you followed the blazes, where you would almost certainly have to walk the bikes (the park near Cold Soil Road has sections of quite deep gravel, but can be avoided by detouring on the road). Otherwise, the path is, again, mostly off road, and winds through a somewhat more populated area. Lots of restaurants/bakeries/farms along here to stop.
Map of Lawrence Hopewell Trail

Looks like getting there from the city would also depend on if a unicycle can be brought on the NJT Princeton Shuttle ("dinky") train.
Old 2017-05-22, 04:26 PM   #8
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

I can ask my MUNI crew. I know at least one or 2 of them have ridden it.

I know the Canal path on the northern parts, closer to frenchtown. I have ridden that before.
If you wanted I am not far from the Denville Station (allows for a straight shot from NY Penn no train changes) and can meet you there and go down to the other riding areas.
Old 2017-05-22, 04:45 PM   #9
Engineer on a Unicycle
Learning to say "on your left"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyunicyclerNJ View Post
I can ask my MUNI crew. I know at least one or 2 of them have ridden it.

I know the Canal path on the northern parts, closer to frenchtown. I have ridden that before.
If you wanted I am not far from the Denville Station (allows for a straight shot from NY Penn no train changes) and can meet you there and go down to the other riding areas.
Definitely interesting to think about; for the moment my question would be how technically challenging it is. Some unpaved roughness, dirt, occasional tree root, fine gravel that stays in place etc, is fine. But I'm not up to hopping rocks or curbs, and after getting up close and personal with the patch of large loose gravel in Van Cortldandt park yesterday afternoon, realize there's still a lot to learn.'

I sort of feel like at the moment I can take the 36er places that people with narrowest road bike tires avoid (or suffer pinch flats), but a gravel / cross / mountain bike gives a second wheel stability to persevere through loose gravel and 2 exposed inch residual railroad ties that I can't handle yet.

Last edited by Engineer on a Unicycle; 2017-05-22 at 04:48 PM.
Engineer on a Unicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-22, 08:25 PM   #10
crazyunicyclerNJ
uni till death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer on a Unicycle View Post
Definitely interesting to think about; for the moment my question would be how technically challenging it is. Some unpaved roughness, dirt, occasional tree root, fine gravel that stays in place etc, is fine. But I'm not up to hopping rocks or curbs, and after getting up close and personal with the patch of large loose gravel in Van Cortldandt park yesterday afternoon, realize there's still a lot to learn.'

I sort of feel like at the moment I can take the 36er places that people with narrowest road bike tires avoid (or suffer pinch flats), but a gravel / cross / mountain bike gives a second wheel stability to persevere through loose gravel and 2 exposed inch residual railroad ties that I can't handle yet.
Then you can take the path from Frenchtown south
Old 2019-05-13, 05:09 PM   #11
munimag
Unicyclist

I saw a 36er rider on the Delaware and Raritan Canal trail near Lambertville, NJ last Saturday. Anybody on this forum?
munimag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jersey, riders