Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2015-07-06, 04:58 AM   #31
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

As much as I appreciate the skill, I have better things to do with my 1+ hours.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 09:42 AM   #32
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillneck View Post
Lower centre of gravity helping when you can't move the base, that's an interesting idea. Kind of see what you mean because moving your arms will have a bigger effect, assuming your arms aren't lower as well. This needs an experiment. I'll report back. I can't stillstand for more than the chance time before falling over, so it might take a while. Maybe someone who can will experiment with weights at different heights?

Pyramids and Subbeteo footballers are not relevant because they sit on a base rather than a point.

BTW I don't think Ana will have any significant advantage from any of these factors, besides maybe she's really tall? I reckon she is just better because she's awesome.
Yeah, the pyramid was a bad example , but the Subbuteo players have a rounded end with only a very small point of contact, similar to a wheel.

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-07-06 at 09:46 AM.
unibokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 10:01 AM   #33
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
There are no rules against adding weight to your unicycle. This is in general; not specific to Stillstands. I don't think adding weight would be a benefit, unless you added a really huge amount below the axle. Similarly, adding weight for racing has not seemed to be an advantage, so we don't worry about it in the rules.

IUF rules are available online:
https://unicycling.org/publications/

Here's a video clip from Unicon 16 in Italy. As you can imagine, watching Stillstand competition, especially when it's one at a time, gets real boring real fast. Right arrow ahead, and the lady in the red shirt is Ana.

Unicon XII, Tokyo. My pictures of the informal Stillstand competition start here. There is also a little video in there, where you can see the Richam brothers and Ana, coming up on the 2-minute mark. What you don't see in those pictures is how bloody hot/humid it was that day!

Thanks John for posting video and the photos. I noticed in one photo that Ana was managing to balance with her arms lowered. This would save a huge amount of energy if she could sustain that posture throughout the exercise.

Ana has a fantastic sense of balance.

She is my new unicycle hero
Old 2015-07-06, 10:23 AM   #34
unibokk
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
As much as I appreciate the skill, I have better things to do with my 1+ hours.
I remember saying to a journalist that balancing exercises are good for the mind. Stresses of work etc., are forgotten when the mind is absorbed with balancing.

'Still standing' on a uni takes balancing to a higher level and can be done at home regardless of the weather and there's a sense of achievement as you increase your times. It must be a seriously good exercise for focus.

I think this is a skill that I want to explore. If I get good at it, I will snub those who can idle and dismiss them as being mere ...eh! ... 'idlers'

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-07-06 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2015-07-06, 10:48 AM   #35
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibokk View Post
Thanks John for posting video and the photos. I noticed in one photo that Ana was managing to balance with her arms lowered. This would save a huge amount of energy if she could sustain that posture throughout the exercise.

Ana has a fantastic sense of balance.

She is my new unicycle hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe44_0MEqQg

Here is a video of a reasonably long still stand. There are periods of having arms down here also.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-06, 11:06 AM   #36
unibokk
Unicyclist

Thanks Pinoclean I've just been watching it. Lots of mental stamina needed for that effort. Amazing stuff.

And yeah, I notice when he puts an arm down, he relaxes the resting arm as much as possible.

This is a new challenge for me. I'm feeling really inspired right now after watching that video.

Last edited by unibokk; 2015-07-06 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2015-07-06, 12:31 PM   #37
frillneck
Single Track Hack

I agree, Unibokk, it would be great to learn stillstanding. Satisfying in itself. The skills I've learnt helped other abilities too, in unexpected ways, like idling helps riding over rough ground and riding up hill.
Old 2015-08-19, 01:26 AM   #38
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

51minutes 7seconds for a male in still stand.
Attached Images

Old 2015-08-19, 12:55 PM   #39
evil-nick
Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
Send a message via ICQ to evil-nick
I assumed that the reason there was such a difference was because whomever won for the guys probably said "Ok, I won? Great, back to riding trials/street/flat!" and then just stopped Ana was obviously going the distance...

My real question is, did she fail when she hit that time, or did she say "Ok, I've made my point" and dismount?
evil-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 06:19 PM   #40
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoclean View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe44_0MEqQg

Here is a video of a reasonably long still stand. There are periods of having arms down here also.
It seems like this guy might have deliberately jumped off....
Old 2015-08-19, 06:23 PM   #41
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

What size uni should I use to practice still stand? Seem like 20" is the way to go, not the 29" or Coker?
Old 2015-08-19, 07:29 PM   #42
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

I just spent a half hour trying still stand on my 20" which I dusted off after years of storage.

I don't think I was able to last 5 seconds on any trial.

Is there a tutorial? My thighs get fatigued. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 2015-08-20, 01:34 AM   #43
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Kris Holm's mountain unicycle book has some techniques to improve still stands.
Old 2015-08-20, 11:56 AM   #44
evil-nick
Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
Send a message via ICQ to evil-nick
I've been advised to sit instead of stand. Mostly just practice I think. I also find my stillstands are better when they're done because of terrain (like riding muni and setting up to hop over an obstacle) rather than setting out to still stand... But practice is the big one
evil-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 03:04 PM   #45
BillyTheMountain
Happy Wal-Mart Employee

Thanks!

Tags
longer, record, stillstand, women, world