Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-08-19, 04:39 PM   #1
FischTix

Hello world!

Hello everyone! I am John from South Carolina. I have always wanted to learn to unicycle, but never really took the time or had the opportunity to buy a unicycle. I just happened to visit a yard sale this past weekend and, oddly enough, they had a 24" Avenir they were asking $50 for. Just for poops and giggles I decided to haggle and ended up talking them down to $8! After a few brief practice sessions I have accomplished 2 things. Mounting the unicycle, and acquiring one mean looking bruise on my left shin haha! Here's to many more bruises and hopefully a successful ride or two!
FischTix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 05:07 PM   #2
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Hi John, welcome to the site! I started on an Avenir in spring of last year and have a few more unicycles now but I'm riding all over the place and still use the Avenir often. (Do double-check that the pedals are tight on the cranks and the cranks are tight on the hub axle, and that the left and right pedals are on the correct sides!)

Unicycling is a great workout and a lot of fun too, and there's a very supportive community of riders from around the world at all levels of ability here. Stay in touch and good luck with it.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 05:17 PM   #3
FischTix

Thanks for the welcome, and for the advice. Funny thing, the cranks are actually on the wrong sides. Is this going to affect my ability to ride, and if so, is it an easy fix?
Old 2014-08-19, 05:49 PM   #4
LargeEddie
Measure once, trim to fit

Just undo the four nuts on the two caps that hold the wheel in the frame, turn the wheel around, and put the caps back on. The caps don't need to be super tight.

The pedal and crank that go the left side have left-handed threads. Left as it is, the pedals will unscrew themselves while you're riding and damage the threads. Even with the correct pedal on the correct side, get them tight and re-check them now and then.

We've been musing here lately that on used unicycles it seems to be 50/50 whether the wheel will be in the right way or backwards--seemingly as good as a coin toss.
LargeEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 10:28 PM   #5
kayakzz
Unicyclist

Fischtix:

I was were you are with unicycling 5 months ago. Now, I can cruise all over the place, paved or dirt, mild up or down hills. Just stick with it and find a fence with pavement or cement along it.
kayakzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-20, 08:30 PM   #6
GeddyRulz
Mark D

And I was where you are about four months ago. I bought a cheapo 24-incher to learn on (I have a much better one now) and I practiced like a madman – every day, 30 to 120 minutes a day. I’m riding now and turning some heads; I've even got consistent with mounting.

Watch and re-watch all the YouTube clips you can. There are good tips there, and here on this message board. The only things I’d add that don’t get stressed enough by most Internet instructors: experiment with saddle height (raise it, and if you find yourself getting into a rut with your practicing, try raising it again), and try to stay on past the point where your fearful mind says “something feels off, so I’ll intentionally dismount rather than FALL off!” Too many times, a Newbie will ride about 10 feet, panic, and hop off on purpose. I did it SO many times! But by staying on past that point (more easily said than done), you just may learn to correct yourself… and that’s what learning to unicycle is all about: getting into every "off" situation possible, and teaching your body how to instinctively correct it.
GeddyRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 12:38 PM   #7
evil-nick
Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
Send a message via ICQ to evil-nick
As the saying goes, "One less of them, one more of us" Welcome!
evil-nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-21, 03:31 PM   #8
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

John,

Get some pads, please. You won't worry about bashing yourself, and you'll be free to take more chances (such as staying on a tiny bit longer when you feel yourself losing balance). I am a big fan of wrist guards...while I love the unicycle, I also want to continue playing the guitar. You can put utility gloves on over the wrist guards.

Looking forward to hearing more about your progress, and welcome to the forum!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
world