Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2015-01-17, 09:46 AM   #346
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

My new ride arrived about a month ago and it came with the Nimbus Gel saddle. It was pretty uncomfortable so I flattened it today.

Before starting:

The base after disassembly:

After flattening:

I tweaked the seatpost mounting plate to match the new base shape:

And the saddle back together. It actually ended up with a bit more curved than I expected, which I'm assuming is due to the foam shape. I didn't shape the foam at all other than to add a slight channel down the top center.

After riding it post-modification I'm calling it a success. It's much more comfortable and doesn't present any control problems. I also find it much easier to change position while riding.

I'll probably just get a Zero saddle with my next uni to save the hassle, but since I wasn't going to continue using the Nimbus gel in its stock shape it was worth trying. I'm happy with the results and I'll keep using it.
lightbulbjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 11:50 AM   #347
spottyh725
learne

water or oven ?

I've read the whole tread
For those who have used both system which one you suggest?
Ben went from boiling to oven for his mass production, so it seems to me that it works better
My wife gave me only one shot to try and I don't want to miss it
Going to flat a cheap lidl saddle.
spottyh725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-03, 01:47 PM   #348
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

As the OP who suggested boiling, I'm going to be using the oven for my next one (I have a zero on my g29 roadie, but still prefer the flattened one on my muni). Has the advantage of higher temperature (100/212 is probably only just about hot enough and a little hotter would be better) and less likely to have an issue with space - I still don't have a pan big enough to fit a whole saddle base in. Just need to be careful about spot heating where the saddle is resting.

I went with boiling for my original try because I knew it would be safe and not overheat the base, and found it worked! Was a bit wary of putting it in the oven.

Nice tip above regarding tweaking the seatpost to fit the saddle - the only trouble is that presumably you can't now adjust the saddle position? Anyway I've now broken a seatpost at the weld and will be using the top bit bolted in place to retain the shape there. Should really get on with it, as i have all the bits ready to go now for a nice custom saddle (new base, Naomi foam and cover).
Old 2015-05-03, 03:35 PM   #349
anton005
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottyh725 View Post
I've read the whole tread
For those who have used both system which one you suggest?
Ben went from boiling to oven for his mass production, so it seems to me that it works better
My wife gave me only one shot to try and I don't want to miss it
Going to flat a cheap lidl saddle.
I boiled my first one, which didn't take and needed to be redone after a few weeks. I used the oven the second time and the shape stuck. I used the oven on 2 or 3 more after that, one of which I over cooked and ruined. I think I either had it turned up too high or on the wrong setting. The oven works better than boiling, it does require your full attention as too much heat will destroy the saddle base, it also doesn't smell very good.
anton005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-04, 11:51 PM   #350
LanceB
This space available

The last one I did, I used a heat gun. That also works. YMMV, so be careful and go slow. I also wrecked one in the oven.

Tags
seat, tightwads, unicycle, world