Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2016-04-29, 05:21 PM   #1
Verbyl
Unicyclist

MagLOCK Unicycle Pedals

Riding clipped in on a unicycle can be scary. What if I can't get my foot off the pedal in an UPD? Hopefully you have good medical coverage or a set of MagLOCK Unicycle Pedals.

The MagLOCK comes stock with 10 neodymium N42 magnets that bring about 30-35lbs of holding power per pedal. With an allen wrench you can easily unscrew the metal cover and remove magnets until you find the hold you like. I'm using just 6 magnets in each pedal, that's somewhere in the 20 lbs range. Yes the pedals are heavy, 510 gram for each pedal with all magnets installed and 99 grams for the metal cleat, but not heavy enough to make a considerable difference in my riding.

Unclipping is as easy as slightly tilting your foot, something that I seem to be doing unconsciously anyway, as I never felt very locked in to pedal when I started testing them. Only when I tried to pull straight up did I realize how much holding power these pedals actually produce. That scared me a bit but over the next few weeks I became very comfortable riding with them.

Due to habit, I mount center foot still. With cleats you keep your foot further back than I used to ride un-clipped. Moving the foot backwards is very easy as the metal cleat slides nicely over the pins on pedal. Once you hear the click when the metal cleat slam against pedal you know you are solid on pedal. It is a bit awkward, but nothing I can't overcome with practice.

So far all I can say is these pedals rock. I ride faster and with more confidence clipped in than I ever did on my old platform pedals. I feel no risk of accidentally slipping foot off of pedal, once attached you stay attached until you purposefully decide to un-clip. And I feel no risk of being attached when I don't want to be as un-clipping comes very naturally.
Attached Images

Last edited by Verbyl; 2016-04-29 at 05:22 PM.
Verbyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maglock, pedals, unicycle