Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 640 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-02-07, 04:12 AM   #10681
MountainLyin
Catch me if I fall...

I recently shattered my elbow (an altercation with a truck, the truck won) and the doctor told me no cycling for 3 months.

Half jokingly, I turned to the Wife and said "this looks like a good time for me to practice the unicycle then".

That didn't go over well.
MountainLyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 12:12 PM   #10682
wilson109

Still, it took about 1hr 50m, so I'm happy enough. The only photo I took was outside my flat when I finished - I figured if I stopped halfway, I'd find it hard to start again!

wilson109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 12:38 PM   #10683
ruari
 

It is “Winter Bike to Work Day” so I figured I would do it on a unicycle. At the last minute it occurred to me to take a few pictures but I generally do not carry a smartphone, so I am afraid these are not the highest quality, having been taken with a 2MP camera on a basic feature phone. I have also resized them down. Nonetheless here is a selection from the commute I do pretty much every day (well one of my two routes anyway).

Olso is looking pretty nice today and the paths and roads were pretty well maintained.

Hard to see here but this hill is relatively steep and I had to go in the road. I did wonder if the lack of spiked tyres today might be my downfall (quite literally)

This is the river close to my office

The final bridge I need to cross, where I hit some “traffic”

A “selfie” for the sake of it. It's actually pretty hard to do. Not because of the snow/ice (as you can see it is pretty clear) but mainly holding the phone in reverse (only a backwards camera) and trying to line it up and time it.

Finally, the unicycle. This is a particularly low quality picture (sorry)

• 26” Nimbus
• Standard Duro “Wildlife Leopard”
• VCX+ (3-holed) cranks (which I love)
• My Gloves, resting on the saddle
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 12:47 PM   #10684
ruari
 

That is an interesting unicycle wilson109 but it appears you left the training wheel on.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-08, 01:58 PM   #10685
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
I also took my uni today for Winter Bike To Work Day.
I managed to take two selfies. One off- and one on-board.
Attached Images

Old 2019-02-09, 02:54 AM   #10686
jlin
Unicyclist

Vookash
Kudos! Great looking ride. I must admit I am a warm weather rider.
Can I ask what kind of mask you are wearing? As a respiratory therapist it looks like something many of my patient could use.
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 03:29 AM   #10687
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Vookash
Kudos! Great looking ride. I must admit I am a warm weather rider.
Can I ask what kind of mask you are wearing? As a respiratory therapist it looks like something many of my patient could use.
Interesting mask. Looks like an anti-pollution mask for cycling. I don't know about the specific brand but if you do a Google search for "anti-pollution masks for cycling" you will find a bunch for sale and reviews and such.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 08:24 PM   #10688
vookash

jlin and JimT, yep this is a air-pollution mask. The air pollution topic has gone so big in Krakow, Poland that you can buy one in almost every supermarket and there is a number of local brands. This one is one of them - Citymask, quite nice disposable sports mask.
I started my masked riding with basic industrial mask of this type
Good to try if it is something for you. Just try to take one with a valve and P3 filtering class (out of P1-P3 scale).
Then after making sure that I will ride in a mask when the air is dirty, I decided to take the sports mask. I selected RZ Mask as it was half the price of Respro masks.
It was OK, but remember you'll never be fully comfortable in the mask as breathing is much harder than normally and glasses go foggy quicker. Out of this mask type I've heard very good opinions about Respro masks and especially Respro Cinqro, but the price when I was buying mine was too high for me.
Tragic air two years ago made me try industrial model by 3M .
This is heavy duty stuff with possibility to attach various filters depending on conditions. The big gain with this one is that fog on the glasses is limited compared to the other ones.
Since then I haven't bought new filters to my quite used RZ mask and I'm using my disposable mask you've seen on the first picture when air is mediocre while using the heavy duty one when it is disastrous. Luckily not that often recently.

Last edited by vookash; 2019-02-09 at 08:26 PM.
vookash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-11, 01:27 AM   #10689
prozac
Unicyclist

Why the respiratory mask? For the cold air or pollution?
prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-11, 09:11 AM   #10690
vookash

Unfortunately pollution. It has gone bit better last two years, but still we have days when we hit famous Beijing levels of dust in the air.
Old 2019-02-15, 02:58 AM   #10691
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Winter muni

Thanks to the local fat bike crowd we have 10kms of groomed fat bike trails.
If I keep my speed up and don't stray too far from centre it's very rideable with my 3 1/4" tire.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

...Hatchet time?
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-15, 12:25 PM   #10692
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vookash View Post
Unfortunately pollution. It has gone bit better last two years, but still we have days when we hit famous Beijing levels of dust in the air.
that must be very annoying when unicycling. After a short ride I already sweat like a pig and need my oxygen.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
сосиска, bright-nights, forest-park, latest, mumpitz, pictures, ride, unicycle