Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-01-31, 12:25 PM   #8056
Gockie
Unicyclist

Me with my newly created mini penny farthing on a Sydney train. "Are you a gymnast?"
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 11:47 PM   #8057
slamdance
Unicyclist

"Hey...I can do that"

Has anyone ever yelled at you when you rode past... "Hey...I can do that"
If that annoyed you and you want him to shut up.
Just stop and say "show me..."

That will shut him up, but if he doubles down(meaning: he is lying, but is stupid enough to try).
He will get a good lesson on spiked pedals.

Keep on...

Last edited by slamdance; 2019-02-02 at 11:51 PM.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-03, 04:56 AM   #8058
Monette
Unicyclist

Last summer riding down mountain trail. Two guys hiking up same trail watch me approach through a valley. One says, "Doood. You have the biggest balls I have ever seen. Yea... go" as I rode past.
I am normal looking and I understand surfer smack so I take it as a compliment. It may well be my favorite so far.
Monette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-03, 06:56 AM   #8059
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Last Sunday I was part of a group riding at Rockville Hills Park in Fairfield, CA. Two middle-aged women walked past us while we were stopped. I didn't hear the first part, but the one woman said to the other something about her bucket list. Probably either something like:

"I've got to add that to my bucket list!"
or
"That's something that never needs to be on my bucket list!"

I wish I'd heard the first part...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-03, 04:54 PM   #8060
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

There is a basketball court in my neighborhood park. Some kids have been making chalk drawings on the blacktop surface of the court. One of my neighbors, a gentleman with a dog, was pretty angry about the drawings. He called them "graffiti", "disgusting" and said they made the neighborhood look like "crap". I listened to him. Then I encouraged him to talk to other neighbors who might share his feelings. But, I told him the drawings did not bother me. I actually liked the drawings. A couple days later, it rained, then the drawings were washed away.

It concerns me whenever something is taken so seriously by one person but not by another. My cynical explanation for our difference of opinion is: The man who hated the drawings lived adjacent to the park, and the drawings somehow impacted the property value of his condo. I, on the other had, live down the street from the park and consider it something to enjoy.

If one person doesn't like chalk drawings on the basketball court, maybe another person won't unicycling on it. By defending the kids' right to make chalk drawings, I felt I was defending my right to unicycle.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 01:07 PM   #8061
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Youtube comment made to my video "Building and riding a 29" geared unicycle" which was partially filmed in my kitchen:
Attached Images

Old 2019-02-09, 08:29 PM   #8062
pierrox
Unicyclist

Love it!
I work on mine in the lounge. And I'm not single. I think you have a point about attractiveness UniMyra!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-09, 11:31 PM   #8063
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
Has anyone ever yelled at you when you rode past... "Hey...I can do that"
If that annoyed you and you want him to shut up.
Just stop and say "show me..."
I used to do it all the time. Sometimes it's true, but you can usually tell by the way they say it. "I can do that", at least in American speech, is somebody trying to brag. "Hey, I used to ride one of those" is someone who probably did. Once unicycling got into the era of seats that could take lots of dropping, I'd offer people to "show off" all the time. Unfortunately my legs are a bit longer than the average, so most people couldn't fit. The posers, however, usually backed off before ever putting a foot on.

Nowadays I'm usually on a 36" when "out in the wild" (or on low-traffic mountain bike trails with the Muni), so it's less of a thing to give people a try. I do remember one occasion, on a Muni trail in Oakland, where we came across a guy who said he used to ride 20 years earlier, and could he give it a try. Took him maybe three tries to be riding along down the trail, on a unicycle very unlike what he had ridden in the past. Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
By defending the kids' right to make chalk drawings, I felt I was defending my right to unicycle.
While I question the comparison between chalk drawings and people potentially having brain or spinal injuries from unicycling in public spaces, I agree fully with your motives. That old guy needs to get over himself; live and let live. Chalk on the ground isn't graffiti. Better to have kids playing there, than to have gang-banger wannabees selling drugs there.

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-02-09 at 11:34 PM.
Old 2019-02-11, 02:05 AM   #8064
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

On my ride today, a man came walking past me. He was dressed like a road cyclist, with the bib shorts, and his helmet was attached to his outfit, dangling down behind him. I said "You're missing your bike."

Without hesitiation, he responded "And someone has stolen half of yours!" Then he mentioned that he just dropped off his bike at the repair shop. Pretty clever...

Car driver to unicyclist: "Where are your other 3 wheels?"
Truck driver to unicyclist: "Someone stole 17 of your wheels!"
Old 2019-02-11, 04:40 AM   #8065
BruceC
Unicyclist

I had dismounted to cross a busy road, and was on my second wobbly attempt to mount again. When exhausted my free-mount success rate goes downhill, and I was rather buggered at the time.

A nice lady cyclist stopped, made a polite but not smart arse comment about 1 wheel. Then seeing what I was doing offered to hold the unicycle so could get back on. That wasn't going to happen but it did show that behind some of the non-rider comments we endure, there are some genuine and nice people.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-14, 10:51 AM   #8066
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Then seeing what I was doing offered to hold the unicycle so could get back on.
Yeah, I've also been asked if I needed to hold on to someone at times, to get going again, but ever since I can freemount, it feels uncontrolled to hold on to a post or wall and push off. I only have with the 32 and 36" that freemounting becomes more difficult. I mostly ride the 29" where I can mount 99% of the time in one go, even when tired. Those times where it is diffi is on an incline or when the ground is muddy or has soft sand, so the wheel is blocked when Im on. Hopping like Unigeezer does when he mounts, takes too much energy and is doomed to fail for me.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-14, 11:17 AM   #8067
ruari
 

I am getting fairly frequent comments over the last few days but they are all variants of the same thing:

“Har du pigger?”, which means “Do you have spikes?”

I have had this from pedestrians, cyclists and even a guy who lent out of a truck. I guess my cycling on the icy ground concerns them. Once I confirm I do, they seem satisfied.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-18, 12:43 AM   #8068
Klaas Bil
Sir Prince of Newsgroupia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
“Do you have spikes?”
(...) Once I confirm I do, they seem satisfied.
You might add: "... and all-wheel drive".
Klaas Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-18, 06:55 PM   #8069
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

The last couple weeks have been unusually rainy in Southern California. Last Saturday, it cleared up. The ground was still wet, so I took a ride on a paved bike path to a local, challenging hill. I have never seen so many people outside on one of my rides. I discussed it with some neighbors when I returned from my ride. They guessed that people were tired of being cooped up indoors ("cabin fever").

I find it disturbing that SoCal's "bad" winter weather is pretty good weather by most other standards. For some riders on the forum, SoCal's "worst" winter weather day would be their "best". Our local standard for "good" weather (what it takes to get people outside and walking/riding) is pretty ridiculous. My neighbors don't know how good they have it.

And I got some "where's your other wheel?" comments.
Old 2019-02-21, 07:09 AM   #8070
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

I had a similar experience to elpuebloUNIdo's on Monday, which is Presidents' day, a holiday in the US. The Sacramento area had also had several weekends of wet weather, and the American River Bike Path had lots of people out enjoying the sun, even though it was "NorCal" chilly, at around 52-degrees F. Yeah, I know. This weather is available to you as well, along with probably a much higher cost of living and horrendous housing crisis. C'mon and move out here!

Anyway, it seemed almost everyone had something to say about the uni:
- "That's a workout" said not to me by a man to his walking companion
- My dad used to have one of those! (to which I pondered if her dad had a 36" with a geared hub, disc brakes and a handlebar? Probably not)
- "That's better." This was completely new to me. I didn't hear the rest, but I think he followed it with "One wheel". This was a guy reaching the top of a hill, very slowly, as I came by in the opposite direction. Better than what? I didn't get to ask.
- "Hey, that's a really cool.... uh.... er.... (I was almost out of earshot at this point) ...Unicycle!" from a young kid. He fished the word out before the buzzer!

There were some more, which I can't remember. My favorite of the day was "That's better", just because it was so different.

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle