Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2014-07-24, 12:56 AM   #46
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Send a message via MSN to jaco_flans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Nice frames Jacob, the welds like very clean and regular, I'm quite jealous as welding is one my "to do's" once I get the house remodel complete. I already have a 220 outlet in the garage just waiting for a TIG

I'd skip Ti, it's just to fragile, welding is tricky and the welds tend to crack. Stainless is about the same price for tubing, looks just as nice, and it's stronger.
Thanks! I've been working pretty hard on finding the way to have the most regular welds and the strongest welds. I setted my garage for 240V during the winter, and now my mom is preparing the house for selling I'll have to make myself another workshop.

Ti is still working amazing on my 7 years old Triton! I really want to try it as it is reallllllly fun to weld. I dont know if the mittering is gonna be as fun though haha I dont know when I'll get there, but I sure want to make it. Stainless steel is also something I had in mind. It does look nice, but it deforms way easier than Ti.
Old 2014-07-24, 01:08 AM   #47
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Here are pictures of the few ones getting shipped this week or the ones going to Unicon

This is the last batch for a while. Since I am leaving for Unicon next week and doing muni trips after, it might be easily a few weeks before I make any other. Then it also depends on my futur job to decide if production will restart after Unicon.

I want to thank everyone who trusted my welding, drawing and planning skills enough to place an order! I have lots of riders to thank for info and parts that have helped me making these straight and "standard". Making these has been a dream for a long time, and being able to make these nice enough to sell to riders around the world is just feeling insane. Please, keep me posted with those pictures, every single picture posted just makes me happier

I hope every one will enjoy their frames as much as I enjoy mines!
Old 2014-07-24, 09:58 AM   #48
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
They look beautiful
Old 2014-07-24, 01:27 PM   #49
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Nice frames Jacob, the welds like very clean and regular, I'm quite jealous as welding is one my "to do's" once I get the house remodel complete. I already have a 220 outlet in the garage just waiting for a TIG

I'd skip Ti, it's just to fragile, welding is tricky and the welds tend to crack. Stainless is about the same price for tubing, looks just as nice, and it's stronger.
This sounds exactly like the way the old Clark-Kent ti frames broke. It turned out that the tubes weren't back purged during welding which caused internal oxidation. The welds failed just like you described. Not a problem on my Litespeed.
Old 2014-07-24, 01:45 PM   #50
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
This sounds exactly like the way the old Clark-Kent ti frames broke. It turned out that the tubes weren't back purged during welding which caused internal oxidation. The welds failed just like you described. Not a problem on my Litespeed.
This is also the reason why I bought a "Y" for my Argon so I can back purge my Ti/Stainless I also bought a Gas Lens for my torch, helps alot when welding Cr-Mo! I haven't tried on SS yet.
Old 2014-07-24, 03:41 PM   #51
jtrops
Unicyclist

So, Jakob I guess I'll have to wait a while for a Reeder. Nice work on the frames. Maybe if you do Ti one day I'll have to put in an order. I really like my road bike, and Triton seems to be doing fine with uni frames. I'm looking to move my whole cycle fleet over to Ti (except my Big Dummy).
Old 2014-07-25, 02:30 AM   #52
Kiwi Earl
Unicyclist

Hey Jakob. Are you a fabricator/welder/engineer by trade? If not, you sure as hell could be with the skill you're exhibiting!

Last edited by Kiwi Earl; 2014-07-25 at 02:31 AM.
Kiwi Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-25, 02:37 AM   #53
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Earl View Post
Hey Jakob. Are you a fabricator/welder/engineer by trade? If not, you sure as hell could be with the skill you're exhibiting!
I guess not... What exactly do you mean? I'm nothing more than a welder for now, I just finished my welding classes in march, I've worked for Xprezo for a few weeks and started on my own for the summer.

I actually got 2nd place at a welding competition in May, it was the Quebec Learner's championships if I can traduce it this way
Old 2014-07-25, 08:42 AM   #54
Kiwi Earl
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco_flans View Post
I guess not... What exactly do you mean? I'm nothing more than a welder for now, I just finished my welding classes in march, I've worked for Xprezo for a few weeks and started on my own for the summer.

I actually got 2nd place at a welding competition in May, it was the Quebec Learner's championships if I can traduce it this way
I meant do you weld as a profession. In New Zealand we call those people with the level of skills you possess engineers, fabricators etc and good ones are much valued. All the best with your career and the success you talent will bring you.
Kiwi Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 08:32 PM   #55
imkreisdreher
Unicyclist

For how long and with which tempereature did you put the frames into the ofen?

(sorry for my english)
imkreisdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-27, 11:56 PM   #56
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkreisdreher View Post
For how long and with which tempereature did you put the frames into the ofen?

(sorry for my english)
The Flansberrium frames are not Heat-Treated. I use 7005-T6 Aluminum and it only needs to be aged, which can be done articially (in an oven) or naturally in approximatly 3 weeks. I keep all my frames between 2 and 3 weeks before I ship them to make sure they are ready to go.

I didn't wait fo my prototype frames because I didn't know at that moment, and they are still going strong. I still wait to make sure they are good to go though!
Old 2014-07-28, 03:07 AM   #57
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

After seeing how shiny my Darryl is, I was feeling inspired and went out and bought some stuff to make my frame POP (not that those welds aren't enough):

Old 2014-07-28, 01:53 PM   #58
jaco_flans
Trials & Muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
After seeing how shiny my Darryl is, I was feeling inspired and went out and bought some stuff to make my frame POP (not that those welds aren't enough):

Make sure you clearcoat the frame if you want to keep iy shiny! It wont stay shinny for long if you dont! Also, you should get your frame sometimes this week
Old 2014-07-28, 02:19 PM   #59
Killian

Canadapost says Thursday, which is awesome cause that's my day off...

I'm gonna try just polishing every other month or so first and see if that get's old. If it does, I'll go back to a brushed finish and let it go. They already look great, I just thought it'd be cool if I could match my Darryl.

I still haven't quite decided if I'm going to do it though, polishing the welds and around the cable guides seems like it may be tricky...
Old 2014-07-28, 11:48 PM   #60
Killian

Wow, that was fast! Got home today and saw a box. I thought it was some other stuff I had ordered, but I saw Flansberry on the return lable and couldn't get the box open fast enough .

Jakob, the frame is absolutely beautiful. I love round crown frames, and the larget crown area on these is very appealing to me. VERY light, and seems to be strong (as well as I can tell by flexing the legs a bit with my hand). Admittidly, I don't want to flex them too much as I'm still fairly new to aluminum frames and don't know what they can take as far as lateral flex. Hopefully some since I have to flex it a bit to slip past my rim .

As far as polishing goes, I'm actually digging the brushed/industrial look, and think I'm going to leave it alone for now. It screams MUNI!

Jakob, I really hope you'll find a way to keep doing this. If you do, I would absolutely buy another one some day. Anyway, I've already told you what I think of the whole exprience.

Good on you dude. These are freaking awesome.

Edit: I had to edit this post because it had too many smilies in it!

Last edited by Killian; 2014-07-29 at 12:16 AM.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flansberrium, unicycles