Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-12-02, 06:03 PM   #46
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Here's a pic of my favourite trainers, both for general use and for unicycling:

Name:  Trainers.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  17.8 KB

For trials pedals, TartyBikes usually offers a nice range:

TartyBikes Pedals
Old 2018-12-03, 11:42 AM   #47
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post

shoes
My shoes are very much like the one you show, with flat soles. But what you say about your full plastic pedals, because ur riding indoors, I don't agree. I;m happy that my trials uni has pins, because while hopping, I don't want to accidentally slide off the peds. I also played with the trials indoors in a gym. Only my freestyle 20 has plastic pedals. I think flat soles and pinned pedals are a good combination for normal uni, not for UW though ^_^
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 09:06 AM   #48
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Scoox, which FiveTens did you try?

Like you I've always wanted thin soled trainers and used to ride in skate shoes until I wore through every pair in 3 months or less (tried multiple brands).

Now I ride 5.10 Freeriders which do still have a thin flexible sole but last me closer to 10 months.

Regarding grip, I think your preference might go back the other way once you've been riding a bit longer and can move your feet more easily. Tread is generally bad as it can cause the pedal pins to stop your feet moving where you want them to go, but grip is another story.

Pedals wise, I've run full plastic pinned pedals (Savage Components Slim Jims) and found them generally OK for road riding but a bit lacking for offroad. Now I ride Nukeproof Electrons/Electron Evo for the same profile but metal pins.

Last edited by mowcius; 2018-12-06 at 09:08 AM.
mowcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-25, 03:47 AM   #49
Scoox
Wheel enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post

Like you I've always wanted thin soled trainers and used to ride in skate shoes until I wore through every pair in 3 months or less (tried multiple brands).

Now I ride 5.10 Freeriders which do still have a thin flexible sole but last me closer to 10 months.

Regarding grip, I think your preference might go back the other way once you've been riding a bit longer and can move your feet more easily. Tread is generally bad as it can cause the pedal pins to stop your feet moving where you want them to go, but grip is another story.

Pedals wise, I've run full plastic pinned pedals (Savage Components Slim Jims) and found them generally OK for road riding but a bit lacking for offroad. Now I ride Nukeproof Electrons/Electron Evo for the same profile but metal pins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcius View Post

Sorry about the late reply, been out of the loop for a bit because on 24 Nov I fell off my 27.5 uni trying to hop up a kerb whilst moving. Was told to immobilise my finger and take a break for a few weeks. It's still a tiny bit sore. Basically I was running my 127mm cranks and as I hopped I landed just a bit short of the edge whilst my body still had the forward momentum. I tried to pedal up but the short cranks didn't provide enough torque and the wheel rolled back and I fell forward. I slid the fall out (usually the best way to land) and, as I was sliding along the ground, I thought to myself: "this one didn't hurt at all!". It would have been a perfect landing had it not been for a strategically placed block of concrete that lay ahead on my path. The sliding went on a good few feet but seemed to take forever. Half-way through I realised the block of concrete was getting dangerously close to my face so I decided to put my hands in front of me, fingers stretched out pressing against the ground to increase stopping power, to avert dental disaster. It worked almost perfectly, but I ended up I stopping 1 cm too far and my left middle finger got jammed against the concrete block head-on. The impact didn't seem like much at the time but shortly afterwards my finger was bruised and swollen, and it's still a bit sore even today. Proof (taken on the day of the incident):

Name:  Finger (573 x 800).png
Views: 528
Size:  419.6 KB

Back on topic though, the shoes. Mine are Five Tens Freerider Pro MTB shoes, see pic below. I woudn't say the soles are thick but, combined with the shoe upper, as a whole the shoe feels very stiff, which for bike trials was ideal because there's no saddle to sit on and my feet would get tired with regular trainers. For leisurely uni rides I prefer the softer trainers, but I'm keeping the Five Tens in case I get into muni.

Name:  5.10 shoes (416 x 800).jpg
Views: 523
Size:  49.2 KB

Those Nukeproof Electron pedals look pretty sick. Nice an slim. I'm not sure I like the way the pins screw in from the underside though—if the thread of the pin gets damaged on impact, will it come out without stripping the thread on the pedal platform?

I'm currently running a pair of Echo platforms, similar profile to your Nukeproofs. They feel great but I might look for something made of nylon as it tends to be kinder on neighbouring furniture and flooring. Anyway, coming from the Echo cage pedals I was using previously, the Echo platforms are a big upgrade in terms of how they enable me to control my unicycle. It's like now it goes exactly where I tell it to, which is especially obvious when doing sharp turns. Very happy with them.
Old 2019-01-25, 06:11 PM   #50
mowcius
2017 UK Road Race Champion

Location: Leeds, W. Yorks. Unicycles: KH36/32, KH36 (stolen), KHF29, KH24, 19" Gravity, 20" BC
Quote:
Those Nukeproof Electron pedals look pretty sick. Nice an slim. I'm not sure I like the way the pins screw in from the underside though—if the thread of the pin gets damaged on impact, will it come out without stripping the thread on the pedal platform?
I've never had that problem, but I can't say I've hit my pedal on that many sticking up things.

Quote:
I'm currently running a pair of Echo platforms, similar profile to your Nukeproofs. They feel great but I might look for something made of nylon as it tends to be kinder on neighbouring furniture and flooring. Anyway, coming from the Echo cage pedals I was using previously, the Echo platforms are a big upgrade in terms of how they enable me to control my unicycle. It's like now it goes exactly where I tell it to, which is especially obvious when doing sharp turns. Very happy with them.
Not so long ago I accidentally stumbled across JR Drift Trikes slim nylon pedals which have significantly better designed rubber seals than the SC Slim Jims or Nukeproofs. Sadly they don't do a metal pin version but they've worked well for me on roads. I bent a couple of SC pedal axles too over the time I had them so I can't recommend those any more.

If you do go for the Nukeproofs, try and get the Electrons rather than the newer Electron/Neutron Evos - the new ones might be marginally lighter but the build quality isn't as good.
Old 2019-01-26, 08:48 PM   #51
pierrox
Unicyclist

Sorry about the finger, that must hurt!

For the Nukeproof, the likelihood of the pins getting bent is very low. They're on the edge rows, not in the center, so of the uni goes flying and the pedals hits something, it will just spin and very little shock will get to the pin.
Now if you're doing trials and you're sandwiching the pedal during a pedal-grind or pedal-grab, ok then it's different.
I've had those pedals on my munis for many years now, and they took a fair bit of bashing around, no bent pin. And they still grab my sole like on day one.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-04, 08:23 AM   #52
pierrox
Unicyclist

Thanks for registering especially to tell us that!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-07, 09:08 PM   #53
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachealRackham View Post
sidi wire push cycling shoe are a beautifully made shoe…
Yes, I like my Sidi shoes… enough that like in this picture I usually wear them without socks down to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit when I unicycle commute.

JM
Attached Images

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-12, 09:41 AM   #54
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

So are those MTB shoes, or are they roadie shoes with a 2-bolt cleat attachment? They don't look like they have any of the studs/grip I'd expect from a MTB shoe, but proper roadie shoes with 2-bolters seem hard to come by
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-12, 07:21 PM   #55
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

Sidi Drako MTB shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Maker View Post
So are those MTB shoes, or are they roadie shoes with a 2-bolt cleat attachment? They don't look like they have any of the studs/grip I'd expect from a MTB shoe, but proper roadie shoes with 2-bolters seem hard to come by
I don’t understand why you would ask. If you were really interested you could have easily answered your question with either a Google search or forum search.

The ones pictured are SIDI DRAKO MTB SHOES.

I own five pairs of Sidi cycling shoes. If you ever notice me wearing any of them in a picture they all are the MTB version. No, I’ve never ridden a bicycle with clippless pedals. Only unicycles.

Not that it would make any difference to anyone on this forum. Why would they ever need Sidi shoes on a unicycle?

Picture of Drako tread below,
JM
Attached Images

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-16, 10:14 PM   #56
vanman

I like my Vans MTEs. Water resistant and tougher tread than regular Vans. Had them for 6 months and no signs of wear.
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 02:25 AM   #57
lbfin88
Aspiring Unicyclist

Send a message via AIM to lbfin88
I like the Five Tens but I have a wide foot. Do you know of a good shoe for unicycling that comes in extra wide width?
lbfin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 07:40 AM   #58
ruari
 

Speaking of 5 tens

https://youtu.be/UPrHC0TmFds

Last edited by ruari; 2019-03-03 at 07:40 AM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-08, 05:13 PM   #59
Piece Maker
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfin88 View Post
I like the Five Tens but I have a wide foot. Do you know of a good shoe for unicycling that comes in extra wide width?
For all the problems I've had with them, I've never had an issue with fit on my 5.10 Freerider Pros - I'm a size 12 with toes like a duck's, all splayed out, but the 5.10's give me enough room although they don't exactly feel *roomy* for me.

I've also used Shimano AM7's with no wideness issues, and have done multiple 50+ mile trips in both shoes without discomfort, so it might be worth looking at those too.
“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”
Piece Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-18, 12:19 PM   #60
TiffanyLucy

I am new to this sport. But I recently bought Five Ten Men's Freerider ELC shoes. Very comfortable shoes. I use two months. While all like it.
TiffanyLucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shoes, unicycling