Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-07-27, 07:30 AM   #46
vookash
('')( :)(..)(: )('')

Send a message via Skype™ to vookash
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
There's a similar thread in the "product review" section of the forum, check it out.

I ran the Hookworm 29 for a short while. It's way too heavy to be pleasant, and I found it awful on road camber. I'm currently on a Scwhalbe Big One and I like it a lot.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at Hookworm, but I was afraid of the weight. Big One seems to small to switch from my current 27.5x2.8.
But Speedster looks nice https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-speedster/ and a place to buy it http://www.jonesbikes.com/vee-tire-s...r-29x2-8-tire/ now I need to look if it is available on this side of the pond.

Last edited by vookash; 2017-07-27 at 07:32 AM.
vookash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 01:37 AM   #47
BruceC
Unicyclist

KH29 with 55mm rim

I am also looking for a road tyre for my KH29, but it is a later model running the 55mm rim and a Duro Crux 3.25" tyre. Finding a suitable road tyre is near impossible.

The Hookworm at 2.5" wide is the widest road tyre I've found. But how well would a 2.5" tyre fit a 55mm rim ?

Suggestions and ideas would be very much appreciated!
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 08:17 AM   #48
pierrox
Unicyclist

It's not the only one! But it's a rare width. Surly offers the ExtraTerrestrial in 29"/2.5 and it's an interesting all-rounder. With the rather stiff sides, it can be used off road with little air inside. And pumped hard, it's happy on the road. It's aimed at road tourers actually.
I have one on my 29" and I really like it. It's way lighter than the Hookworm I had for a while. But I'm running it from a 30mm narrow rim, so I don't quite know how it would behave in a 55. If you find it on their website, there's plenty info on what rim etc.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 08:04 PM   #49
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
I am also looking for a road tyre for my KH29, but it is a later model running the 55mm rim and a Duro Crux 3.25" tyre. Finding a suitable road tyre is near impossible.

The Hookworm at 2.5" wide is the widest road tyre I've found. But how well would a 2.5" tyre fit a 55mm rim ?

If you want a wider road style tire how about Vee Tire Co.’s “Plus Size Speedster”. They have them as both 2.8” and 3.0” for 29ers.

https://www.veetireco.com/listings/plus-size-speedster/

FWIW, I have never actually tried Vee Speedsters but I looked at and considered them when I was looking for bigger tyres for my 26" (they also make 26X2.8, which is actually the same diameter as the Duro Beach Bum that I purchased).
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-29, 10:03 PM   #50
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post

I use a 26 Vee tire speedster for my Huni-rex and it is a must have road tire.

On my KH 29 I use a "BTW ranger TCS light fast rolling" 29x3 at no more than 900g... it is a great XC and I use it mainly on road (I'm no good at Muni, but I'll learn)

Last edited by Vogelfrei80; 2019-01-29 at 10:05 PM.
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-30, 01:31 AM   #51
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrox View Post
It's not the only one! But it's a rare width. Surly offers the ExtraTerrestrial in 29"/2.5 and it's an interesting all-rounder. With the rather stiff sides, it can be used off road with little air inside. And pumped hard, it's happy on the road. It's aimed at road tourers actually.
I have one on my 29" and I really like it. It's way lighter than the Hookworm I had for a while. But I'm running it from a 30mm narrow rim, so I don't quite know how it would behave in a 55. If you find it on their website, there's plenty info on what rim etc.
Thanks for the post and the tyre suggestion, I checked their website:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/tires/e...trial_29_x_2.5

It states will fit rims of 19-50mm external width. So close!

55mm on the KH29 is really wide, and all the MTB sites talk about putting wide tyres on narrow rims, not wide rims on smaller tyres

Perhaps the KH factory has some insights.
Old 2019-01-30, 01:36 AM   #52
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelfrei80 View Post
I use a 26 Vee tire speedster for my Huni-rex and it is a must have road tire.

On my KH 29 I use a "BTW ranger TCS light fast rolling" 29x3 at no more than 900g... it is a great XC and I use it mainly on road (I'm no good at Muni, but I'll learn)
Thanks for the tyre suggestion, can't find these locally so would have to import, but it does looks the best option for road use. I know what you mean about muni, one day I'll do more but for now it's mostly pavement.

Tags
recommendations for 29, tire