Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-04, 08:43 AM   #1
Richard C
cautious n00b

Checking in ...

Morning all!

Yet another older beginner checking in here. (Will my age show up under my name? If not, or anyhow, it's 58). I can see from lurking here that taking up unicycling at my time of life is definitely a thing. In my case I can't even remember when the seed was planted.

I'm fit (ride on 2 wheels a lot), but don't have great natural coordination or balance. I got my 20" club uni about 4 months ago, and have been practising for an hour or two, two or three times a week since then. Fear kept me clinging to support for weeks, and I was starting to wonder if I would ever get it, until the penny dropped one day.

I did my first static free mount yesterday, on the first day of seriously trying, so super stoked about that! No doubt I'll be asking for a lot of advice.

Great to be here.
Richard C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-04, 10:29 AM   #2
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Welcome Richard.

Glad you got the bug and entered the thrilling phase of successes rewarding your patience
Old 2019-07-04, 06:46 PM   #3
Richard C
cautious n00b

Thanks! It's very addictive. I have just the right amount of natural talent, any less and I would have given up.
Old 2019-07-04, 09:16 PM   #4
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I have just the right amount of natural talent, any less and I would have given up.
Or you have just the right amount of persistence, any less and you would have given up.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-21, 08:15 PM   #5
Richard C
cautious n00b

Progress is slow, but mostly in a forward direction. I have to choose between 1 and 2 wheels, and 2 wheels often wins (sorry!). I don't have anywhere in my rural village to practise, so I've just been going back and forth on my L-shaped patio. I'm not quite ready for the road yet. There's a park in a nearby town that looks perfect, so I'll take it there next week. Static freemounts work 80% of the time now, so I'll survive in the open.

I'm going to need a bigger wheel once I get onto the open road (currently riding a 20" club from UDC), and I'll have some questions about that.

Last edited by Richard C; 2019-07-21 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 2019-08-08, 03:30 PM   #6
Richard C
cautious n00b

Progress update

I'll post progress updates here, but not often since there isn't much progress to report. Lots of helpful advice on the "Choosing my second unicycle" thread. In particular, this post nails where I am:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
From reading your posts, it seems you're somewhere between two significant learning benchmarks. The first benchmark is where you can ride a few hundred meters. The second benchmark is where you can do the same thing comfortably. I think we lose some new riders between these two benchmarks. The novelty wears off, and the rider is left feeling like they have no finesse.
I've been out to practise in public parks with paved trails three times now, and still feel very nervous. I can get to do this about once a week. I can stay on for a while, but often lose control and have to bail out. I find the level of concentration exhausting. I'll persevere, but I'm resigned to staying on this plateau for some time to come. I'm still missing about 20% of static freemount attempts, due to bad 2nd foot position or body position. In the meanwhile, I'm riding up and down my patio, and looking for a way to unlock one of hopping / idling / riding backwards.

I also won't get that 2nd uni just yet.

Last edited by Richard C; 2019-08-08 at 03:35 PM. Reason: wording

Tags
checking