Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2010-04-27, 06:13 AM   #16
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
Only question number 2 really needs to be resolved. It's the most important one.
I think Profile did a modification to the hub/keyway design or build, but this was in the first 1-2 years of the product being on the market. After that, the only changes I'm aware of are colors, but I'm not an expert. My Profile hub is from 2002. I still ride it regularly (well, when I get the chance).

I can sum up my Profile crankset in three words: "Creak! Creak! Creak!" You can't sneak up on anybody with those! They make a good bio-feedback system to help you develop even power delivery when climbing though...

That said, my Wilder has never let me down. The idea was to have a crankset I would never need to buy again, and so far so good. I did buy different cranks though, and have gone from 170 to 145 to 160 and back to 145. That's a little short for no brakes (at least in NZ). With all those crank changes, the creak on the right side has never been stopped for more than a week or two. Next time I'll opt for something quieter.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 07:56 AM   #17
Sponge
Unicyclist

On my first Profile hub that was handed down to me by Joe Hodges, that had horrid creak and was just plain irritating to ride. But then again, Joe totally trashed that hub and the flanges were scratched/scarred/gashed horribly.

My second Profile hub was the one that Zack Baldwin rode in Defect, that one was a sweeeet hub. No creak ever, and I loved the wheel to bits... except for the DX32 rim which just felt horrid.

Anyone care to post pics of their setup? Would be great to see some of these again, I'm a little tired of seeing just KH Moments all the time !
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 08:20 PM   #18
emile
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to emile
Quote:
Anyone care to post pics of their setup? Would be great to see some of these again, I'm a little tired of seeing just KH Moments all the time !
Old pics of Hugo's ride his old ride: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...86&postcount=7

And the 3 next pictures here:http://sports.webshots.com/photo/106...36426651xHcjRF

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...1&d=1187479851

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...&postcount=170

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...&postcount=304

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...53&postcount=6

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=5

2 last pictures are from 2003.

EDIT: I couldn't find a picture from Timbob1907's brother unicycle which was a Bedford Hardcore with a KH 07 rim powder coated red. It's one of the best looking unicycle I've seen.

Last edited by emile; 2010-04-27 at 08:21 PM.
emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 05:56 AM   #19
Sponge
Unicyclist

I'm planning on getting a KH'10 rim powdercoated in red in time for the Profile wheel. This time black hub with the new super hollow GDH spindle. A first for the unicycle hub!

Reminiscent of the old red DX32 Profile set up Zack ran in Defect, man I loved that colour scheme.

Nice unis by the way!
Old 2010-04-28, 04:39 PM   #20
gmoore
Unicyclist

Oldschool eh? Whatever ;-)
Attached Images

gmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 05:54 PM   #21
emile
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoore View Post
Oldschool eh? Whatever ;-)
Can you post a picture of the complete (yellow) uni?

Last edited by emile; 2010-04-28 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2010-04-28, 06:00 PM   #22
Michaelgoround
John 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emile View Post
Can you post a picture of the complete (yellow) uni?
+1 Looks interesting.

Also anyone know why the switch to Isis?
Old 2010-04-28, 06:11 PM   #23
Sponge
Unicyclist

Perhaps if Profile offered crank lengths under 145mm, and the whole 'creak' myth which affects only a handful of old old Profiles which were incorrectly installed (most of the Defect riders).

^Those factors combined, if they were different, then I think Profile'd still be a popular modern choice as it is in BMX.

Weight-wise a standard Profile hubcrankset weighs a shade more than a KH cr-mo Moment hubcrankset.

Price-wise, Profile's a bit expensive, but hey.. that's what you get for it all being made in the USA down to the little bolts. Still, cheaper than a KH Ti setup. And you can customise your Profile with a Ti axle and Mini Magnutanium cranks like Danni did, making it the lightest set.

{If I could ride right now, I wouldn't be brain-spewing and yapping on. I guess it's one way of satisfying my urge to uni again }
Old 2010-04-28, 07:12 PM   #24
gmoore
Unicyclist

> Can you post a picture of the complete (yellow) uni?

oh sure...

[QUOTE=Sponge;1356828]Perhaps if Profile offered crank lengths under 145mm,

and pics of the 126mm Profiles I like to use with the 26 x 2.5 Hookworm.
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-28, 10:24 PM   #25
Michaelgoround
John 15:13

Quote:
Perhaps if Profile offered crank lengths under 145mm, and the whole 'creak' myth which affects only a handful of old old Profiles which were incorrectly installed (most of the Defect riders).

^Those factors combined, if they were different, then I think Profile'd still be a popular modern choice as it is in BMX.

Weight-wise a standard Profile hubcrankset weighs a shade more than a KH cr-mo Moment hubcrankset.

Price-wise, Profile's a bit expensive, but hey.. that's what you get for it all being made in the USA down to the little bolts. Still, cheaper than a KH Ti setup. And you can customise your Profile with a Ti axle and Mini Magnutanium cranks like Danni did, making it the lightest set.

{If I could ride right now, I wouldn't be brain-spewing and yapping on. I guess it's one way of satisfying my urge to uni again }
Makes sense. I noticed the Ti thing you are talking about as well. The ptofile Ti is cheaper I think too. Nice stuff for sure! Just not sure if I would like riding 145's on my Trials....
Old 2010-04-29, 05:54 AM   #26
Sponge
Unicyclist

gmoore-- Profiles in 126mm? How? Something new to me, were they custom made? It seems there is no Profile logo stamped into the arm at least.

Last edited by Sponge; 2010-04-29 at 05:55 AM.
Old 2010-04-29, 03:09 PM   #27
gmoore
Unicyclist

Quote:
gmoore-- Profiles in 126mm? How? Something new to me, were they custom made? It seems there is no Profile logo stamped into the arm at least.
Yes, they're custom. I started with 175's and cut them down. Built a jig to hold them just right and my brother in law's brother - a TIG welding god - glued them for me. Been going strong for about 8 years now.

Cheers, Greg
Old 2010-04-29, 06:53 PM   #28
emile
Unicyclist

Quote:
New for 2010, the micro mini cranks from profile: 125, 135 and 145mm

http://profileracing.com/estore2/ind...?productid=337

Last edited by emile; 2010-04-29 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2010-04-29, 07:03 PM   #29
gmoore
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emile View Post
New for 2010, the micro mini cranks from profile: 125, 135 and 145mm

http://profileracing.com/estore2/ind...?productid=337
"70 lb rider weight limit." $422.95

Hmmm...
Old 2010-04-29, 07:38 PM   #30
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
the whole 'creak' myth which affects only a handful of old old Profiles which were incorrectly installed
There are some riders on this forum who cling so tightly to that myth, you'd swear you just cursed their mother the way they carry on when you claim your 6 year old Profile set never creaks.

I've got Profiles on my 24er and 20er and have ridden hard muni and trials on them for 6ish years, and not had a problem. All I've done is cleaned and regreased the splines every couple years...

Viva la Profile!

Tags
48spline, hub, profile, racing