Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-06-27, 03:10 PM   #31
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Yesterday I turned my 19" upside-down, grabbed one pedal in each hand and alternately pushed one crank/pedal down while pulling up on the other. I could hear a creaking sound coming from the hub. When I was riding, it was difficult to locate the source of the noise, but with the uni upside-down and my head close to the wheel, I was more confident the noise was coming from the hub.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 07:02 PM   #32
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Yesterday I turned my 19" upside-down, grabbed one pedal in each hand and alternately pushed one crank/pedal down while pulling up on the other. I could hear a creaking sound coming from the hub. When I was riding, it was difficult to locate the source of the noise, but with the uni upside-down and my head close to the wheel, I was more confident the noise was coming from the hub.
One suggestion is NOT to turn the unicycle upside down, grab one pedal in each hand and alternately push one crank/pedal down while pulling up on the other, especially with your head close to the wheel.
Old 2018-06-29, 09:52 AM   #33
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefule View Post
one suggestion is not to turn the unicycle upside down, grab one pedal in each hand and alternately push one crank/pedal down while pulling up on the other, especially with your head close to the wheel.:d:d:d

Last edited by ruari; 2018-06-29 at 09:53 AM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-29, 10:30 AM   #34
ruari
 

Ok, small update. I have been kinda busy of late and have not really had a chance to do anything with this until late yesterday.

Anyway, I checked all the spokes and they seem fine. I also tried pulling at all the cranks and pedals and nothing was obviously loose. So I went for another short ride to listen and try and work out what was going wrong.

Eventually I worked out the pattern. The noise only happens as I am slowing down, specifically as I put backwards pressure on the left pedal. If I try and do most of the slowing down on the right there is no noise and cycling forward at constant speed on a flat surface is also silent (bar some tire roar).

I suppose (as others predicted) the problem is really with the left crank or pedal. I would guess that the reason I thought it was the spokes is because the noise is radiating through the hub and then through the spokes.

Anyway, after the ride I attempted to take off the left crank. I have a crank puller but I did not manage to get it off (it is really wedged on there) and it was late, so I decided just to tighten it up again and leave it for now and attempt again at another time.

That said, the fact that it was so solidly on makes me suspect that it is probably not the crank. Which leaves the pedal. These trainer/titan unicycles do have fairly cheap plastic pedals, so on the one hand that sounds reasonable. On the other hand I still think it is wierd that a faulty/damaged pedal would result in this noise. Nonetheless that should be easy to test. I own serveral bikes and unicycles, so quickly swaping it with another should allow me to verify if this is the issue.

I'll post again when I have had a chance to test some more.
Old 2018-06-29, 04:02 PM   #35
JimT
Unicyclist

As others have reported, don't forget the bearings as a possible source of the noise. In other threads folks have eliminated bearing noise by greasing the bearing/axle interface, by adding tape around the outside of the bearing between the bearing and the frame and by correctly adjusting the bearing cap bolts.
Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-29, 06:25 PM   #36
ruari
 

Ok, found the problem

Old 2018-06-29, 06:53 PM   #37
ruari
 

It really wasn't long ago (49 days) that I received this from UDC Sweden (a.k.a ifx.se). Thoughts?
Old 2018-06-29, 07:41 PM   #38
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
One suggestion is NOT to turn the unicycle upside down, grab one pedal in each hand and alternately push one crank/pedal down while pulling up on the other, especially with your head close to the wheel.
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my last post (or if I lack a sense of humor); the purpose of turning over the unicycle and twisting the cranks was to check for noise but remove the spokes from the equation. Before performing the test, I assumed that spokes were the cause of the noise. Now I think it's somewhere around the bearings.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-29, 07:58 PM   #39
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Now I think it's somewhere around the bearings.
Considering the casing for the bearings is completely broken, I'd say yes… it was the bearings!
Old 2018-06-29, 09:02 PM   #40
ruari
 

This didn’t stop me from going for a ride this evening though. I took my next biggest unicycle (a Pashley with a 28” wheel). The lower gearing even meant that I could get up a hill that has so far eluded me on the 36”er
Old 2018-07-01, 06:34 AM   #41
ruari
 

Have others encountered this problem (broken bearing casing) so soon after getting a new uni? Am I just unlucky?
Old 2018-07-01, 07:10 AM   #42
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
It really wasn't long ago (49 days) that I received this from UDC Sweden (a.k.a ifx.se). Thoughts?
Peter Sandstrøm at UDC Sweden will replace your bearings immediately if you send him an e-mail. The customer services there is the best I've come across. (Replacing the bearings was on my list :-))
Old 2018-07-01, 12:41 PM   #43
song
Unicyclist

Wow, sorry for my recommendations about tightening spokes, that was definitely the wrong advice, though as any American without access to healthcare will tell you, diagnosing things over the Internet can be tricky. That photo looks bad! Did you (or UDC Sweden) over-tighten the bearing caps?

Anyway, I am pretty sure UDC will send you some new bearings. If you haven't got a bearing puller, you might ask them to also send you one of those, as you will probably need one.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-01, 01:17 PM   #44
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Did you (or UDC Sweden) over-tighten the bearing caps?
Well I put it together. I don't think I over tightened it and have not had troubles with this in the past with my last uni (nor obviously on the right hand side of this one).

That said, now you have me doubting myself so next time I will do it even less, just to be sure!
Old 2018-07-01, 04:05 PM   #45
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruari View Post
Well I put it together. I don't think I over tightened it and have not had troubles with this in the past with my last uni (nor obviously on the right hand side of this one).

That said, now you have me doubting myself so next time I will do it even less, just to be sure!
I doubt this could be caused by overtightening the bearing caps. Looks like a faulty component to me.

Tags
noise, spokes