Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2018-11-07, 10:31 AM   #76
pierrox
Unicyclist

That's so cool to read this! Congrats!
pierrox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-07, 09:07 PM   #77
bungeejoe
Joe Myers

In snow (especially cold dry snow like you get) you may never need studs in your wheel. Iíve ridden 100s of miles on snow and ice and never used a studded wheel. On a 36 freemounting on ice or on a 36 wheel in a rut on ice will give me issues. On a 24, 26 and 29 without studs I regularly ride steep single track downhill in snow and ice without studs.

Galbraith Snowday

Give it a try...

JM

bungeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-07, 11:01 PM   #78
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Bungeejoe, wow all that riding on snow and ice is impressive. I just went out to have a practice, I missed my first freemount and when I came down on my right foot there was a click in my right calf. I donít Ďt know what that is, probably because I didnít stretch before going out and itís -6c. It is kinda sore and seized up at the moment so I hope to try again tomorrow. Anyhow your information is good news for my winter riding.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 04:05 AM   #79
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

Mac, congrats on upping the skill level.

I don't have studs on my tires either.
I would run at the lowest pressure you can handle for grip.
Try and keep the riding as smooth as possible to avoid harsh tire torque (slipping).

A few more days of this cold weather and we might end up with snow free frozen lakes up here to ride on.
Nothing like a frozen surface to encourage smooth riding.
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 04:52 AM   #80
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Hi Ted, way back at the beginning you suggested a tire pressure of 22 psi, which is where I have been since. It seems to be a good compromise for dirt and paved roads. If we do get clear ice for a while Iíll drop the pressure down and try using the lake as a parking lot. A large smooth surface would be a first. The lake in front of my house usually freezes about 19 November but iíll wait till almost the end of the month for some thickness. Riding on the lake sounds like fun, swimming, not so much.
Old 2018-11-08, 06:41 AM   #81
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Ice can be fun. Read about it on my 'Things not to do' page.

Pad up, because ice is an unforgiving surface to fall on. Even if you have a studded tire, remember your footwear still might slip out from under you on a dismount!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 10:02 AM   #82
UniMyra
I don't like unicycling, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
We have had another pretty good snowfall so I guess itís here until April. My uni practice is going to be somewhat limited. I did see a very good post from Saskatchewanian a while ago about studding tires, so I may try that to keep me going for the winter.
I use the same tyre as Saskatchewanian. I have both the 26 and the 29 version of the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro. It is the best winter tyre on snow and ice, but it's no good on bare (icy) asphalt. For that I use the Schwalbe Marathon Winter, which is also a studded tyre, but narrower with less grip. I've made a couple of videos years ago with the Ice Spiker Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ22...XbVo069_BamuLD and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYOO...69_BamuLD&t=0s
Old 2018-11-08, 05:11 PM   #83
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

UniMyra your video of you riding down and up the snow covered trail is something I can only dream about at this point. That looks like a lot of fun, and hard work. A lot more saddle time is still required by me to be able to do that.
johnfoss, thanks for the riding on ice tips. Youíre right, falling on ice could be disastrous, I donít bounce very well, I never did. I will definitely add some padded shorts and elbow pads to my armour before I try ice. I also have some ice gripper soles that I put on my boots for ice fishing that might work as a mounting/dismounting grip aid. They are also available for shoes as well which might be a better choice. ĎThings not to doí is pretty amazing to say the least.
My right calf says Iím not riding today, or walking without my foot being turned out sideways. I think a couple more days and Iíll be good to go again.
Old 2019-04-03, 12:04 AM   #84
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Learning to ride on gravel

Hello everyone. Itís been almost five and a half months since Iíve ridden my uni. My last ride I damaged my hamstring with a bad free mount attempt, it took a couple of months for me to get back to 100%. That took me well into Dec and a lot of snow. My yard still has some snow, but my driveway is finally snowfree, though a bit muddy.
Today was my first try at riding after being off for so long. I did use a wheel back stop to get going, seeing I only had 55 days of learning practice under my belt I was a bit nervous restarting. I think it went pretty well. I had about 25 short rides of about 50 yards. My tracks in the mud look like they were made by a snake. Is that because I donít have enough of my weight on the saddle? I tried to hold onto the saddle with one hand to pull myself into the seat but it is a difficult skill to do. Is this something I should be trying to get good at? My arms are flapping a lot more than in October but I expect better control is going to come back to me soon. Iím excited to get on with it again. My goal for this year would hopefully be able to go for a dirt road ride for maybe a kilometre. Also maybe ride up some low incline hills of a hundred yards or so. Too ambitious? Anyhow, itís great to be back.
Old 2019-04-03, 02:03 AM   #85
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
My tracks in the mud look like they were made by a snake. Is that because I don’t have enough of my weight on the saddle?
The unicycle is prone to a weaving track due to unbalanced forces on the pedals. Generally the wider Q on the cranks the greater the weave.

It can be reduced by compensating for these imbalances by cyclically varying other factors such as the lean, movement of the body and various other sideways factors. However like most aspects of unicycling it is hard to nail down exactly what that compensation involves.

I practice reducing weave using the beam coming from a light mounted on the seat post and pointing onto the road a couple of metres in front of me. I have another light on my helmet and compare the two.

Last edited by OneTrackMind; 2019-04-03 at 02:04 AM.
OneTrackMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-03, 03:08 AM   #86
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I tried to hold onto the saddle with one hand to pull myself into the seat but it is a difficult skill to do. Is this something I should be trying to get good at?
If you are just starting again, I would not worry about optimizing anything in your riding. It's going to feel like a struggle, and you'll be using instinct and reflexes to stay on. Whatever it takes.

I would *not* characterize my own experience with one-hand-on-the seat as "pulling myself into the seat." If anything, one-hand-on-the-seat allowed me to stand on the pedals while stabilizing the unicycle with the hand holding on. This put the swervy feedback into my hand, where my brain could process it better compared to my butt.

Everyone talks about putting weight in the seat, but I don't think it should be done prematurely. We attribute so much of "legs burning out" to lack of weight in the seat. I think this is only partially true. It is the loss of stability resulting from removing the butt from the seat...causing the legs muscles to work so hard...that is more significant.

So, the stability of one hand, if you can manage it, is going to help you ride longer, whether or not you have more weight in the seat. That's my half-baked theory, and I'm sticking with it for the time being...

Last edited by elpuebloUNIdo; 2019-04-03 at 03:09 AM. Reason: covfefe
elpuebloUNIdo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-03, 06:13 AM   #87
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I would *not* characterize my own experience with one-hand-on-the seat as "pulling myself into the seat." If anything, one-hand-on-the-seat allowed me to stand on the pedals while stabilizing the unicycle with the hand holding on. This put the swervy feedback into my hand, where my brain could process it better compared to my butt.
That is a good description.

Ultimately the brain manages some kind of synchronicity between the body and uni movements that make efforts so much more effective.

I'm often surprised how steep I can climb now even when I have not been riding much and my strength is way down. Last ride I climbed a grade that used to struggle up when I was at maximum strength a couple of years ago because my movements work so much more effectively. I don't have the stamina but the gradient itself isn't a problem.

Also surprising is how I can take my hand off while climbing hills that I used to ride hauling as hard as I could on the grab handle.
Old 2019-04-03, 07:16 AM   #88
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Less thinking, more riding. Lot's of reasons why beginners ride wobbly. All of them usually disappear with practice. I wouldn't even think about it for now, just focus on riding as far as possible, and once you feel confident staying on the unicycle, riding in the direction you choose.

I've never focussed on reducing wobble. But at some point, when you try to go faster and faster, you will learn how to reduce it automatically. Or when you try to ride on a smaller beam (like in slow race).
Old 2019-04-03, 09:38 AM   #89
Setonix
Unicyclist

I always wonder what people will be thinking when they see my zigzag trail, as if I was very drunk. In the forest it helps recognising where I've already been, as I am the only unicyclist around here.

Riding with a T-bar reduces the zigzag, but I don't worry about it. I feel comfy on the uni and I have no intentions to learn how to ride on a beam or on train tracks.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-05, 12:00 AM   #90
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Thanks guys, lots of interesting things to digest. My riding around in my yard is at a very slow speed. I believe it is the mud, potholes, stones etc that contribute to keeping me from going faster. I wouldnít doubt there is also a bit of, Ēif I go slow, Iíll not wipe out as hardĒ going on too. Todayís practice was another round of about 25 rides of 50 yards or so. On almost all of the rides I was able to hold the seat for at least half of the distance. Yes, less thinking and more riding. I am very aware that at this early stage, it requires more saddle time to get the feel of riding, so that is the goal for the immediate future. I believe I am now back to about the same skill level, or lack of it, as I was at last fall when I stopped for the winter. Itís just like riding a íone of those thingsí apparently. Last fall doing this same practice would have burned my legs. I have not experienced it yet during the couple of sessions IĎve had. Maybe Iím learning to sit down somewhat. Iíll be going down to ride on that piece of seldom used roadway soon to try for some longer rides on a smooth surface. Iíll keep you posted on my results. Once again, thank you for your great feed back.

Tags
gravel, learning, ride