Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-06-14, 03:21 AM   #16
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I learned all skills within 7 days, except side ride (10), and coasting (20, plus I had to learn twice, and only years later I understand what I was doing technically).
Meaning: from 1st serious dedicated session to first ever success.
That's inspiring. It makes me think my current plateau is not so inevitable.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-14, 09:55 AM   #17
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haqreu View Post
Guys, I'd like to have an idea (just an order of magintude) of how much time I'll need to put to learn pirouettes.
Probably not long if you start out as a highly experienced ice skater/dancer who can already pirouette in their domain without falling over. Otherwise, good luck with that.
Old 2019-07-31, 03:55 PM   #18
haqreu
Unicyclist

Well the pirouettes aren't that hard. I am starting to achieve my first spins with bits (1 rotation max) of pirouettes. Now I can do tight (1m diameter) and smooth circles without corrections with my upper body.

Somebody asked on this forum how to know if you are spinning correctly and the answer was: "You will know the very moment when you are spinning correctly". It seemed a strange affirmation to me, but the sensation is stunning. I know when the spin is right, something clicks in my head.

However I must stop doing that. This tyre lasted for 6 weeks, and I was mainly focusing on 1 foot riding:
Name:  photo5895713526209687666.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  156.9 KB

This one lasted less than a week!
Name:  tyre.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  158.1 KB

It is starting to be an expensive skill to learn. I do not have access to any indoor riding, and the pavement I have is very rough, has high and above all unreliable friction. The friction is very high and the pavement can be slippery at the same time (cf sand or worn tyre). The bits of pirouettes I have happen most when the tyre slips and rotates more than I intended. Probably I'll revisit this skill in the winter, it is generally very wet here during winters.

Last edited by haqreu; 2019-07-31 at 04:21 PM.
haqreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 04:17 AM   #19
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
This one lasted less than a week!
Attachment 72876
We tried to warn you!
Quote:
I do not have access to any indoor riding, and the pavement I have is very rough, has high and above all unreliable friction. The friction is very high and the pavement can be slippery at the same time (cf sand or worn tyre).
Maybe when they let you out of jail you'll be able to find a better spot down the street or something.
Quote:
The bits of pirouettes I have happen most when the tyre slips and rotates more than I intended.
Hmm, that might be what it feels like when you hit it. The pirouette basically starts when your ride your spin all the way into the center. Then it takes additional practice to be able to keep the wheel at that center point. Otherwise you end up flailing around, or flipping around to going backwards as you come out the other side.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-08-01 at 04:17 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 07:17 AM   #20
haqreu
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Maybe when they let you out of jail you'll be able to find a better spot down the street or something.
I live in a small village and this patch of concrete is the only one free of cars. To get to the next one I'd have to drive for 15 km, that makes 30 km total. With european prices on gas it is actually cheaper to replace the tyre once per week

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
The pirouette basically starts when your ride your spin all the way into the center. Then it takes additional practice to be able to keep the wheel at that center point. Otherwise you end up flailing around, or flipping around to going backwards as you come out the other side.
Yup, that is exactly what happens, I have filmed myself to check it. The wheel rotates more than I wanted, I ride into the center, do about one full rotation around the vertical axis and then I fall being unable to maintain the contact point still.
haqreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-01, 09:53 PM   #21
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
This tyre lasted for 6 weeks
Quote:
With european prices on gas it is actually cheaper to replace the tyre once per week
I'll donate you two white ones of these (2.10 wide), plus maybe two pink ones (also 2.10) later on.
For free / you'll pay the postage. PM me if interested.
+1 866 UNI-CYCL
leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iuf, learn, level, long, pirouette, starting