Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-07-24, 07:30 PM   #61
LanceB
This space available

For learning to ride backwards I recommend adding elbow pads to your protective gear. When I fall off when riding backwards (which happens occasionally) I tend to land on my elbows. (The back of my head often hits the ground at about the same time, too, so the helmet is a good idea.) This is usually caused by not getting my feet off the pedals fast enough, so I end up not being able to get my feet underneath me to keep from falling. As you practice backwards riding you will have a LOT of dismounts, so basically you will get a lot of practice at this. Just something to keep in mind. It sounds like you're kind of a "natural" at this, so you may pick up backwards riding without any problems at all.
Good luck!
Old 2017-07-27, 11:37 AM   #62
gschwind11
Boomsmash... weight on the saddle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceB View Post
For learning to ride backwards I recommend adding elbow pads to your protective gear...
good idea Lance!... thank's for the advice... I realized that now on my first backwards UPD

Well, yesterday I pimped my 20" Qu-AX Profi with a pair of Kris Holms stubbed pedals with metall pins (see photo).... and my god what a grip they have....
The change is enormous... once on the pedals the feet just can't move anymore.
It feels a bit like riding another one step better unicycle.

I do have another new pair of pedals from Odyssey with plastic pins... a bit similar in shape but probably less aggresive in grip I suppose.... will try them soon too.

Does anybody know why these pedals have that special twisted shaping?
Attached Images

gschwind11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 12:10 PM   #63
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwind11 View Post
Well, yesterday I pimped my 20" Qu-AX Profi with a pair of Kris Holms stubbed pedals
I have a Profi in my collection too. Those wheels are insanely strong. Double wall rim and 48 spokes on an ISIS hub.

Quote:
Style?
Old 2017-07-27, 03:27 PM   #64
rich
Unicyclist

Quote:
Imagine standing hard on the skinny edge of a rectangular pedal when mounting. It will be unstable, then spin 90 degrees suddenly and your foot will land on the broader top part with a snap. This will probably throw you off (or bash your fun junction on the saddle!)

The twisted/parellelogram profile means if you stand on the edge it should roll 90 degrees smoothly and you'll be straight on the tops. Much less potential for accidentally placing weight on the unstable thin edge.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 04:26 PM   #65
JimT
Unicyclist

The twist is likely an attempt to match the natural shape of the foot. If you were to place two bars across the foot about where the peddle bars would be you would find that they are not in the same plane because of the differences of the ball and arch of the foot. A twist is just a more ergonomic shape.

Does it really make any difference? I don't know.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-27, 06:27 PM   #66
gschwind11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Imagine standing hard on the skinny edge of a rectangular pedal when mounting. It will be unstable, then spin 90 degrees suddenly and your foot will land on the broader top part with a snap. This will probably throw you off ...
thank you Rich!
this is an excellent explanation... it's pure physics indeed
Actually I should have been able to come to that conclusion too...

However... I got once more an expert answer on that forum... it's amazing!!!

Today I had another consolidation training which means that I didn't really get much further with new skills but kind of fastened the newly learned things.
Okay there was one thing that I realized today which I haven't done before... it's the possibility of riding better through the grass in a standing manner out of the saddle... but it's quite exhausting.
When I tried grassriding before I always failed after some few meters but when standing I had much more power on the pedals to come through the uneven surface of the grass... cool another step further towards muni

Allright... tomorrow I'll head to Wales for a 2 weeks summervacation... with my unicycle for sure...
I hope I'll learn a lot there
And if all goes well I'll be able to buy my first fiveten unicycle shoes... yeah!!!

Last edited by gschwind11; 2017-07-27 at 06:29 PM.
Old 2017-07-27, 11:05 PM   #67
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
Okay there was one thing that I realized today which I haven't done before... it's the possibility of riding better through the grass in a standing manner out of the saddle... but it's quite exhausting.
When I tried grassriding before I always failed after some few meters but when standing I had much more power on the pedals to come through the uneven surface of the grass.
To some extent, all riding (except on smooth surfaces) involves continuously transferring some weight between the saddle and individual pedals to traverse irregularities.

As well as pedalling, the riders legs act like an active suspension system, keeping the body moving through as smooth a path as possible while the wheel follows the terrain.

Imaging approaching a big bump. If you don't adjust for it, it will bounce you off. So before arriving at it, you transfer more weight to the pedals to launch your body in a trajectory that has you arriving where you need to be when you are at the top of the bump without the sudden rise that the wheel must follow.

At the same time bend forward a bit. This combined with the extra force on the leading pedal drives the wheel out in front, increasing the rake on the frame. Now when the bump hits, the upwards force is not transferred straight up the seat post to the rider.

Ride with the balls of your feet on the pedals and let your ankles be mobile. When you hit a bump your ankles can respond much faster than your knees and let the wheel rise up. Similarly when you hit a hole. Let your ankles extend, otherwise your foot loses contact with the pedal.

The exact motions as you hit the undulation depend on where you are in the pedalling cycle. Only by spending time in the saddle and encountering a wide variety of variations will your brain and body learn what needs to be done.

Get this stuff into your head but don't overthink. Like most sports activities, it is good to understand the physics but not obsess when you are actually doing it.

I found it interesting approaching kerb ramps where driveways traverse road gutters. After a few months riding experience I could sense that I was actively changing my approach so that I hit the gutter at some optimum part of the pedalling cycle but I couldn't work out what my instinct was aiming to do. Only recently when I started riding the 36 with its longer cranks and slower movements did I realise I was instinctively aiming to have my left foot somewhere close to the bottom of the stroke as I hit the gutter.

The brain is a wonderful pattern recognising and responding device when given enough input to work with.
Old 2017-07-28, 01:02 AM   #68
JimT
Unicyclist

Actually after looking into the twisted pedals some more it seems that the surface that the foot rides on and the front and back surface that you would hit if the pedal was turned 90° are not twisted as all. The twist is on the left and right and and those surfaces should never have any foot contact. The left and right ends are twisted because the the toe end of the pedal is wider then the heal end. They may fit the shape of the foot a little better but likely makes no real difference. Just a marketing scam to make them different then others. I would not pay more for them.

Jim
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 07:23 PM   #69
gschwind11

hi folks,
just wanted to report quickly from my Wales tour...
As planned I have bought my first FiveTen Freeridershoes.
I still can't believe what a difference it makes in the feel when riding the unicycle... amazing.
Find attached an impression of my flrst trials riding on a low tide beach in Port Eynon near Swansea... so much fun!
cheers
Dominik
Attached Images

Old 2017-08-01, 09:28 PM   #70
Tagef04
Unicyclist

Wink Help to relax while riding!

Quote:
hi unicyclists,

I'm a newby and started unicycling 1 week ago with a 20" QU-AX Profi unicycle.
Afterabout 5 trainings I manage to cycle up to about 100 meters.
Now I have some questions to those of you who are quite used allready:

1.) How can I relax when cycling? ... Do I have to put nearly all my weight on the saddle?... My distancelimit is more defined by the stressy uncomfortable sitting than the ability to manage the cycling stability...

2.) Funny enough for me the right turns work relatively well, but I have a hard time to turn left... How can I solve this problem when cycling?

I'm looking forward to your feedbacks guys
cheers from Switzerland

Dominik

Hello, my name is Tage and I have been riding unicycle for 3 years and I have a tip for you about relaxing while riding considering I also had the same problem some years ago.

>>>To relax you can start by trying to hold out your arms and try to put all your weight om the saddle because if you're riding by putting weight on the pedals you'll probably start to wobble and fall.

So just put all your weight on the saddle so that you wobble as little as possible.
That will probably help you relax!

But even though it can be a little stressing but by the time you're learning and becoming better and better you'll learn to relax because then you wont have to think so much about the balance!

Keep ridin'!

/Tage
Tagef04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 08:02 AM   #71
Tagef04
Unicyclist

Tagef04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 04:17 PM   #72
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Thanks for the photos. Your Freeriders are totally different than mine. I have the old model, I guess. I have been practicing a basic flatland trick, involving putting my foot on the shoulder of the crank. My Freeriders are so soft and flexible, I am nearly bruising the arch of my foot. The new Freeriders, on the other hand, look more like the new Impact models, except for the smooth area on the sole of the shoe. I don't know why 5-10 keeps the same name while radically changing the design of its shoes.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, comfortable, cycling, newby, relax, unicycling