Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-05-06, 10:11 PM   #1
Milodar
Unicyclist

26“ KH rim 47mm wide VS 26“ Nimbus Dominator2 rim 42mm wide.

Hi, I´m choosing between those two rims. Both rims are 36H. The main differences are:

1) weight – the difference is cca 120 grams (0.264554697124555 lbs)
2) width – the difference is 5 mm (0.19685000000000002 inches)

Is it noticeable during ride?

Regarding weight – is it possible to drill holes into inner wall of the Dominator and how much weight can I cut off?
Regarding width – with the same tyre (3“ Duro), could be the ride more stable with wider rim?

Or should I buy some other rim?

Thanks!
Milodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 10:48 AM   #2
saskatchewanian
ERIC P

So which is heavier?

You could drill out the Nimbus, I would drill the outer wall before the inner one for a variety of reasons. How far you go with it is up to you.

A wide rim will give you a more stable ride with a squarer profile to the tire, but you will be slightly more prone to suffer camber issues and sidewall damage.

I generally think that the advantages of a wider rim trumps the disadvantages but hey, everyone rides different. Both rims are well suited to 3" rubber.
Old 2013-05-07, 11:36 AM   #3
Milodar
Unicyclist

Nimbus Dominator2 is heavier: 850 g, whilst KH Freeride is 700 g + rim tape. I know both are almost the same... considering your advice I think maybe the most relevant is the price
Old 2013-05-07, 12:31 PM   #4
davidp
Unicyclist

When I built my 26" I chose a 32h TrialTech Race rim @ 47mm and 795g and a Nimbus 32h hub. I drilled the inner wall before I built it up and haven't had any problems but didn't loose much weight either (less than 1oz) as my drilling was pretty conservative. The TrialTech rim was less expensive than either the Nimbus or KH, was in between the two in weight, and had the width of the KH.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 05:08 PM   #5
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

The D2 is stronger, the KH is lighter, the D2 is less expensive, the KH has better brand recognition, the D2 is easier and possibly better for tubeless, the KH is 5-7mm wider.

Both rims work fine.

Don't buy the D2 with the plan to drill the rim, you will waste more $$$ of your time, possibly reduce the strength of the rim, and certainly make it less valuable for resale.

If weight is your primary concern, consider a Salsa Gordo or Velocity P35, they are lighter and stronger than the KH, also not as expensive, but they are 35mm wide.
Old 2013-05-07, 09:03 PM   #6
Jacob Young
Indecisive Municyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Both rims work fine.
Couldn't agree more. I'm more of a Dominator2 fan as the slight increase in stability and grip you get from the KH rim isn't worth the extra drag and funny handling but each to their own.

Quote:
Don't buy the D2 with the plan to drill the rim, you will waste more $$$ of your time, possibly reduce the strength of the rim, and certainly make it less valuable for resale.
Hit the nail on the head. The KH rim relies on the sheer strenght of the aluminium whereas the D2 is strong due to it's high profile and round shape. The D2 is like an egg/football - strong, until punctured.

IMHO, the D2 is a better rim. It handles better, it's stronger, less wide (I prefer narrow rims for smaller tyres and the fact that they don't 'stretch' tyres) but it is pretty heavy. If you're going to run a 3" tyre, however, I highly recomend running a lighter tube. I put a Maxxis 2.75 (I think) in my Oracle 24 and the difference in the way it tackles bumps is night and day.

Things are easy, apart from when they aren't

Last edited by Jacob Young; 2013-05-07 at 09:04 PM.
Jacob Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 10:40 PM   #7
Coler
Unicyclist

[ If you're going to run a 3" tyre, however, I highly recomend running a lighter tube. I put a Maxxis 2.75 (I think) in my Oracle 24 and the difference in the way it tackles bumps is night and day. [/QUOTE]

Why do you run a smaller tube in a wide tire? I have heard of people doing that but I never understood how it helps. I would think that a large tube would give you more air volume which would make it easier to roll over bumps, and a small tube would make it harder.
Coler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 02:03 AM   #8
Killian
Good enough: enemy of perfection

Small tubes will still stretch to fit the inside of your tire, so volume is the same. However, since there is less material than for a larger tube, it's lighter. Not to mention, it's awful hard finding high volume tubes locally. Many even run smaller diameter tubes in their wheels, ex. 29" tubes on 36" wheel.
Old 2013-05-09, 02:35 AM   #9
skilewis74
Stupidity gets you 2 of these:

Send a message via Yahoo to skilewis74
Yeah wider dampens out the ride for small bump compliance & drops, and less likely tire fold over, but less spingyness for hops and a bit harder to mount the tire. Some (eg Muniaddict) have gone even wider than the 47mm KH, to a 65mm Large Marge.

Kris considered widening all the rims to 50mm but felt the weight wasn't worth the various advantages. One of his testers of the 29er did prefer the extra width so he kept using it. To each his own.

IMO if u plan on riding very tech terrain, go KH. Bumpy & flowing - D2.

What's next?
Learn2Ride&doTricks
TrialsClasses&Building
skilewis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 02:30 PM   #10
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
I ride super tech and use a D2 because it stays true longer
Old 2013-05-10, 03:31 PM   #11
Jacob Young
Indecisive Municyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Small tubes will still stretch to fit the inside of your tire, so volume is the same. However, since there is less material than for a larger tube, it's lighter. Not to mention, it's awful hard finding high volume tubes locally. Many even run smaller diameter tubes in their wheels, ex. 29" tubes on 36" wheel.
The tube I've got in now is still pretty heavy so the weight saves is negligible (especially with a duro 3") really. The difference is in the rubber compound - my 3" tube is hard and plasticy whereas my 2.75" tube is really rubbery and soft making it a joy to ride on.

Old 2013-05-10, 05:30 PM   #12
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Rubber is heavy!

A Maxxis 3" DH tube weighs 450gm
A Maxxis Freeride 2.5 - 2.7" tube weighs 300gm
A Maxxis Welterweight 2.2 - 2.5" tube weighs 225gm

A heavier duty tuby can change the ride feel and can increase the flat resistance, but consider the weight penalty.

You would be better off running a lighter tube or even tubeless in a better tire than going with a heavy duty tube in a lightweight tire.

The tube provides support, but the tire is really where the work gets done.

I am currently running a 29 x 1.9-2.3 standard tube in my Knard 29 x 3" tire. It works fine and it's hundreds of grams lighter than the Surly tube or a DH tube.
Old 2013-05-10, 07:34 PM   #13
Milodar
Unicyclist

Thanks to saskatchewanian, davidp, Nurse Ben, Jacob Young, Coler, Killian, skilewis74 and knoxuni for great and reasonable arguments about rims. I´ll take KH partly because it´s KH (to support him) and because it´s wider (narrower rim could be an alibi when UPD).

Quote:
Rubber is heavy!
It´s obvious that everybody wants the most light uni with light tyre. But it´s always the compromise between weight, strenght and cushy ride, isn´t it?

Regarding tires I noticed that with beefy tyre the ride is more cushy, for jumping it´s vital. (I want to save my knees) Without suspension (recent FR-EN-DH bikes have from 5.9 to 7.9 inches suspension). Therefore 3“ tyre is much better than 2,5“ or 2,7“. Every inch counts and knees, ankles and hips are pleased.

Why a lot of people here rides Duro 3“ on 24“, even on 26“? Why Nurse Ben is happy with Knard?

I compared weights of some tyres. I was looking for tires from 26x2.60 to 3“ (sorted from lightest to heaviest, in grams):

Maxxis High Roller - Downhill 26x2.70 ( 59-559 ) weight: 1,320
Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF – Downhill 26x2.70 ( 59-559 ) weight: 1,390
Kenda NEVEGAL PRO 26x2.70 (67-559) weight: 1,479
Duro Wildlife (now called Razorback) 26x2.60 (65-559) weight: 1,500
Duro Wildlife (now called Razorback) 26x3.00 (70-559) weight: 1,650

Between lightest and heaviest is 330 grams BUT I FIND ONLY ONE 3“ TYRE and that´s Duro.

Agrument that with 26“ uni you have hundreds tire choices unlike with 24“ uni. OK, but only with narrower tires. If you want at least something to compensate downhill impacts with 3“ tire, you pick Duro.
Then the debate about saving grams is useless.

Last edited by Milodar; 2013-05-10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 2013-05-11, 12:09 PM   #14
Milodar
Unicyclist

I´ve started a new thread about 3" tires to keep order here. I hope this link will work
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...94#post1584594
Old 2013-05-11, 08:40 PM   #15
Jacob Young
Indecisive Municyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milodar View Post
Thanks to saskatchewanian, davidp, Nurse Ben, Jacob Young, Coler, Killian, skilewis74 and knoxuni for great and reasonable arguments about rims.
No problem I'm always happy to help a fellow unicyclist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milodar View Post
I´ll take KH partly because it´s KH (to support him).
Buying KH might support Kris but Buying Nimbus supports UDC - it's your call.

Tags
26“, 42mm, 47mm, dominator2, nimbus, rim, rims comparison, wide