Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-05-28, 12:45 AM   #61
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniaddict View Post
What does the special crown look like and how much more is it than the regular frames?

Look at the chainstay junction joining to the Bottom bracket. That's it there. The frame will weigh a little bit more, but not much. It'll cost a bit more than usual, I'm not sure exactly how much, but it'll be made in a very tiny and exclusive batch. I want it to be available as a 19" only, it's not entirely necessary as the current design is more than ideal already. Just for those who might like a more 'solid' look.

Ideally more suited for trials.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 03:30 AM   #62
unicyclerman
jarin erickson

Send a message via AIM to unicyclerman Send a message via MSN to unicyclerman
ah more competition for my Carbon frames! how light is your standard 19" frame suposed to weigh?
Old 2009-05-28, 07:10 AM   #63
eenwieler-sander
sander

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicyclerman View Post
ah more competition for my Carbon frames! how light is your standard 19" frame suposed to weigh?
if you click on the link in sponge's (underline) dont know how to name it but you will find the weight there

520 grams
eenwieler-sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 11:57 AM   #64
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:
It's possible to get it even lighter than the current 520g, but I feel no need. It's light enough already, whilst being the stiffest and strongest uni trials frame to date. The multi-functional 'semi-flat' crown design is just a nifty added bonus.

People who want your carbon frames and Triton's titanium frames will be of a similar market, but not the same. I don't think they would affect eachother all that much. People who want a Triton are looking for the best, and only that. The only true competition for us 'exotic frame brands' are the current existing ones like KH and Koxx. They offer more normal types of metals at a commercially large level with lower prices to accomodate for the majority of the riding population.

The quality control of Triton frames will be even more strict and tight, there is always room for improvement anywhere. Nothing less than manufacturing-perfection* will leave the factory.

*As close as is possible, nothing in manufacture or life can be 100% perfect

Last edited by Sponge; 2009-05-28 at 12:01 PM.
Old 2009-05-28, 05:32 PM   #65
unicyclerman
jarin erickson

well i will be interested in seeing which sells more, cf or Ti.
Old 2009-05-28, 07:56 PM   #66
Sponge
Unicyclist

It's not a matter of which sells more. It all depends on price and availability.

Your CF frames are likely to be much cheaper, and generally easier for North Americans to get hold of, and the waiting period for it to be built would be shorter too. Those looking for a little something different to a KH may well go for your frames.

On the contrary, I'm more interested in the quality, design, and all-round 'finesse' of the frames rather than which outsells which.

Quality rather than quantity, as the ol' cliched phrase goes

Old 2009-05-28, 10:14 PM   #67
unicyclerman
jarin erickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
It's not a matter of which sells more. It all depends on price and availability.

Your CF frames are likely to be much cheaper, and generally easier for North Americans to get hold of, and the waiting period for it to be built would be shorter too. Those looking for a little something different to a KH may well go for your frames.

On the contrary, I'm more interested in the quality, design, and all-round 'finesse' of the frames rather than which outsells which.

Quality rather than quantity, as the ol' cliched phrase goes

haha ya we will see which one comes out on top. my frames are rock solid and have pretty good design and engineering behind them. and your frames are made from the material of the gods so should be interesting.
Old 2009-05-28, 11:04 PM   #68
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:
haha ya we will see which one comes out on top.
No, not really, I'm not really concerned about that. It doesn't mean anything whichever sells more. There are so many factors to take into account, it's meaningless.
Old 2009-05-28, 11:07 PM   #69
unicyclerman
jarin erickson

oh its more of i want to see what people favor more Ti or Cf not really which company comes out on top. im looking at consumer preferences.
Old 2009-05-28, 11:12 PM   #70
Sponge
Unicyclist

Quote:
my frames are rock solid and have pretty good design and engineering behind them. and your frames are made from the material of the gods so should be interesting.
The fact that these Triton Sponge frames are made of titanium isn't what makes it instantly 'godly'. There is a huge amount of effort, years of experience and workmanship, professionality, quality, and excellent and well researched design that has gone into this frame. The design, strength, and stiffness, and weight are unparalleled in the unicycling world to date. I regard so far only the KH frames to hold similar attribute. The original success of Triton in its home field: biketrials, is only further magnified by the success in the unicycling world. Similarly, it has made a positive impact in the BMX world too.

Your CF frames, if following what the process of what the Fournales/Goldtech biketrials CF-Alu fork went through, should end up being quite promising. The pressing in of thin aluminium tubes inside the CF tubes aids the stiffness a lot, I hope you've done that for yours, because CF tubing on its own is very very flexy. Some people just don't want a flexy frame.

Those who want Tritons are in a special market of their own. No other frame will do for them.

Old 2009-05-28, 11:17 PM   #71
manicpanicmuni
Nation of Champions

Quote:
oh its more of i want to see what people favor more Ti or Cf not really which company comes out on top. im looking at consumer preferences.
That is a really silly question dude, seriously, what do you think?

also tbh, I was considering one of ur CF frames but then i realised there were loads of little flaws and quirks that needed addressing. the testing that went into the CF frames doesnt seem that rigorous either, so i'm not convinced.

judging by my brother's road biking and XC biking experience, CF tends to fracture after coming in contact with hard hits.. which is so common in trials and street. The kind of impacts that would dent a KH or a Koxx frame would likely shatter a CF tube. it's logic!

Also yer... good point Sponge about the alu tubes in the CF, when my engineering friend made some custom CF forks for his Racing BMX he did that bonding process too... worked a treat and only gained a few grams... otherwise the CF legs would flex like crazy and feel mushy and shit.
manicpanicmuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 11:22 PM   #72
Sponge
Unicyclist

We might as well have some more pictures!:

Osmundo's Triton Sponge 36'er w/KH Schlumpf Hub

Old 2009-05-28, 11:23 PM   #73
UniKid2
Wolfgang

Send a message via AIM to UniKid2 Send a message via MSN to UniKid2 Send a message via Skype™ to UniKid2
Ti over Cf Any day, especially since I've ridden one a few times.
UniKid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 11:33 PM   #74
kerosian
USMC

I had no idea osmundo went with an integrated clamp. Looks svelt.
Old 2009-05-28, 11:38 PM   #75
Dosestrallas12
Mono de Espa˝a

Send a message via MSN to Dosestrallas12
Carbon fibre really isn't a competition for titanium, especially within this context

Generally the impression I get is that Triton is a reputable and well-known brand in a stretch of extreme cycle sports with a high level of quality, workmanship, precision, customer service, and very reasonable prices. I can't really say the same for these cf frames.

with regards to the 550usd base price and 520g weight of the standard Triton Sponge frame, you said:
Quote:
ok cool. we should be breaking both of those numbers by around 100!!
If you're charging like 450 dollars, or even 300 dollars for that matter i still would not like to buy your frames without any real proof or indication of its quality, reliability, and strength. CF is dodgy unless it's really *really* well thought out. if someone wants to spend that much on a frame, they would probably end up saving up that tiny bit more to get an indestructible frame that can be customised to their demand... TRITON!

I gotta get me one this year sometime. Sponge is it possible to make it even lighter, like you said?
Dosestrallas12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, titanium, triton, unicycles, wurst