Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2007-08-22, 11:49 PM   #1
brendonv
Unicyclist
 
brendonv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia, Perth
Age: 26
Posts: 197
Unicycling the new skateboarding

Well unicycling is becoming more popular and with more and more videos of it on youtube i think in another 10 years people will finally find out its not for clowns and it will get really popular. Maybe even as popular as skateboarding. Who knows? So what do you reckon?
From Brendon.v
brendonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 12:12 AM   #2
habbywall
Groovy!
 
habbywall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Age: 30
Posts: 4,847
Send a message via AIM to habbywall Send a message via MSN to habbywall Send a message via Yahoo to habbywall Send a message via Skype™ to habbywall
I reckon people still won't use the search feature once it gets that popular.
__________________
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
habbywall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 12:32 AM   #3
_Ground_Zero_
Unicyclist
 
_Ground_Zero_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: suburb in Chicago area
Age: 25
Posts: 1,374
Send a message via AIM to _Ground_Zero_ Send a message via MSN to _Ground_Zero_
i reckon people will still yell at the people for not using teh search feature once it gets popular *looks at post above*

w/e

yah, i think it could get popular. since i started a few months ago, i convinced someo people, and now there's 4 unicyclists in our little city. =D
__________________
1st Place *)--VarialRoll-'O,*
-Jon B.

Last edited by _Ground_Zero_; 2007-08-23 at 12:36 AM.
_Ground_Zero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:03 AM   #4
austingillespie
Skier
 
austingillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seward, Alaska
Age: 27
Posts: 255
4 unicyclists compared to about a hundred skater probably.
__________________
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance
2nd place is unacceptable
austingillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:26 AM   #5
_Ground_Zero_
Unicyclist
 
_Ground_Zero_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: suburb in Chicago area
Age: 25
Posts: 1,374
Send a message via AIM to _Ground_Zero_ Send a message via MSN to _Ground_Zero_
yah...but its a step. . and theres a bunch of people who wanna try it, and would probably start
__________________
1st Place *)--VarialRoll-'O,*
-Jon B.
_Ground_Zero_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 01:30 AM   #6
torkerdx
to tire-3ft.
 
torkerdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ground_Zero_
yah...but its a step. . and theres a bunch of people who wanna try it, and would probably start
it will never be as popular as skating or bmx, unless we go on a mad rampage killing all of them.
yes it is cool that it is getting bigger, but at a certaint point, we become common. where as now we are not something most people see everyday. is that what we want?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordito8me
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid, but not really that fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skianduniaddict
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss
Yes, being old makes you stupid.
torkerdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 03:00 AM   #7
dudewithasock
Gig 'em, Aggies!
 
dudewithasock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Age: 30
Posts: 8,148
Send a message via Skype™ to dudewithasock
/sigh

We've been over this. And over this. And over this.

The general consensus is that unicycling will never be as mainstream as skateboarding because of two words: learning curve. It's much easier to get on a board and just ride forward than it is to get on a unicycle and just ride forward.
__________________
My Unicycling Journal
Officially ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazdude222
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a girl.
dudewithasock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 03:02 AM   #8
agentQ
Sam Haber
 
agentQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,330
Send a message via AIM to agentQ Send a message via MSN to agentQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkerdx
it will never be as popular as skating or bmx, unless we go on a mad rampage killing all of them.
yes it is cool that it is getting bigger, but at a certaint point, we become common. where as now we are not something most people see everyday. is that what we want?

Not sure what your point was. All I know is that there are skaters out there that started skating for who knows what reason: Their big bro did it, it was on TV, they just wondered into a skate shop one day? After stepping onto the board something hit 'em. That was it, skating became life. A few years pass and all they do is skate, every free minute thats what they are doing. What else could make them feel so good? BLAM all of a sudden they are making a living traveling around skating. Paying bills buying a car a house, LIVING FROM WHAT THEY LOVE. I would love if uniycling could do that for me. Let it grow.
__________________
---
Uneed Films

Whats up with Street and Flat?
the Unicycle Lab
agentQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 03:39 AM   #9
torkerdx
to tire-3ft.
 
torkerdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentQ
Not sure what your point was. All I know is that there are skaters out there that started skating for who knows what reason: Their big bro did it, it was on TV, they just wondered into a skate shop one day? After stepping onto the board something hit 'em. That was it, skating became life. A few years pass and all they do is skate, every free minute thats what they are doing. What else could make them feel so good? BLAM all of a sudden they are making a living traveling around skating. Paying bills buying a car a house, LIVING FROM WHAT THEY LOVE. I would love if uniycling could do that for me. Let it grow.
my point if it (which it never will) become as big as skateboarding then it is as common as skateboarding, "oh look, another unicyclist". they start ,by word, including us in the no skateboarding, biking etc laws and signs. we become the "nobody" skaters are. we no longer are unique.

the lack of want of unicycles(relatively) lets only a few people live off selling and making unicycles.

and your reason for why skaters start, while it happens/ed to a lot of people, i think a lot do it to be "cool". and i know at least 1 unicyclist who (i am pretty sure) started to be "cool"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordito8me
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid, but not really that fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skianduniaddict
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss
Yes, being old makes you stupid.
torkerdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 03:44 AM   #10
monkeyman
+dan's amulet of bling blingin'
 
monkeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana State University
Age: 29
Posts: 5,638
Send a message via AIM to monkeyman Send a message via MSN to monkeyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewithasock
/sigh

We've been over this. And over this. And over this.

The general consensus is that unicycling will never be as mainstream as skateboarding because of two words: learning curve. It's much easier to get on a board and just ride forward than it is to get on a unicycle and just ride forward.
Thank you Matt.

Thread over.
__________________
~Alex Brown
Keep your laws off my body, out of my wallet, and away from my bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_chuck
Do not underestimate the giant yellow H-bomb in the sky!!
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 05:12 AM   #11
UniBrier
Time To Ride
 
UniBrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brier, WA USA
Age: 59
Posts: 4,240
I agree a lot of it has to do with the learning curve. If a skater spent as much time learning and perfecting uni as they do skating, they'd be a pretty good uniist.

For another question: Do skaters post skating threads in RecSportSkating and not JC?
__________________
Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 07:37 AM   #12
GILD
Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK
 
GILD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the bustling metropolis of Nelspruitia, south africa
Age: 51
Posts: 16,291
TorkerDX, are you ever going to take that revolting RAPE comment out of your sig?
GILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 10:38 AM   #13
Triball
Pimped out
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Age: 29
Posts: 1,320
I hope that never happens. I hate average-ness
Triball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 03:41 PM   #14
monkeyman
+dan's amulet of bling blingin'
 
monkeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana State University
Age: 29
Posts: 5,638
Send a message via AIM to monkeyman Send a message via MSN to monkeyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniBrier
I agree a lot of it has to do with the learning curve. If a skater spent as much time learning and perfecting uni as they do skating, they'd be a pretty good uniist.
You've obviously never seen skaters at any typical highschool.
__________________
~Alex Brown
Keep your laws off my body, out of my wallet, and away from my bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_chuck
Do not underestimate the giant yellow H-bomb in the sky!!
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 04:21 PM   #15
UniBrier
Time To Ride
 
UniBrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brier, WA USA
Age: 59
Posts: 4,240
I don't hang much at High Schools, skaters are banned at my kid's school campus. I have seen friend's kid's spend hours each nite honing their skills on their driveway ramp. If he spent that much time on uni he'd be an awsome rider.
__________________
Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
skateboarding, unicycling


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kid breaks arm skateboarding (Bad!) MuniAddict Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself 4 2007-05-22 08:48 PM
Skateboarding JJtheunicycle Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself 44 2007-04-08 07:28 AM
skateboarding dog siafirede Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself 3 2006-03-25 08:21 PM
Street Unicycling, at all like skateboarding to you? unifreak7 General Unicycling Discussions 9 2005-09-04 12:02 AM
Unicycling/Skateboarding is not a crime Checkernuts General Unicycling Discussions 6 2002-06-14 09:58 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2001-2019 Gilby
Page generated in 0.11664 seconds with 11 queries