Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2019-05-12, 08:41 PM   #1
taylorsinclairstie
Unicyclist

Troubleshooting Failure

I am taking a shot in the dark by asking for advice on why I cannot unicycle. I know it's just up to me to do it, but maybe there is some crucial element I am overlooking that is preventing success.

So far in this project, I have put in more than 22 hours over the course of a month, and still cannot ride. I'm starting to get tired of leaving the park where I practice in total failure. It's very discouraging to have people talk about what I'm doing and teens at the park verbally harassing me and shouting nicknames, yet not even being able to ride at all. That being said, I don't need encouragement -- I will not give up -- but I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong.

I am a very thoughtful learner, so I have not been flailing around randomly. Every time I mount the unicycle I think about what might have gone wrong the last time and try to correct it. I have tried everything I've seen and read to no avail. Right now I'm at a place where I know that I can do it because I have done it briefly. Every once in a while everything will feel right and I will feel in control and able to pedal comfortably, which is wonderful. But then I may have a handful more successes and ultimately lose the groove and I'm back at square one. I only have a solid attempt once every half hour or so. It would make more sense if I started to gain distance and gradually seemed to improve over time. My record is about 17 feet.

My biggest concern right now is that I rarely feel comfortable sitting on the saddle. I thought I had a breakthrough last time by trying to sit further back on the seat, which seemed to help at first but not consistently. Every once in a while I will feel like I'm sitting correctly and I have comfortable control over what I'm doing, but those moments are few and far between. I don't understand what part of the crotch curve is where my weight should be positioned. It probably doesn't help that I have no body fat to cushion me so it's painful and leaves a lot of soreness, but I am able to work through the discomfort. I could buy a new saddle, but I have no idea how comfortable this one is compared to others, and furthermore I just don't think that should be a necessity for my being able to ride at all.

If you have any advice, I appreciate it in advance. I'm mostly hoping that the next time I practice I will have success and this will become irrelevant.
taylorsinclairstie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, troubleshooting