Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2017-04-05, 12:44 PM   #16
Eric aus Chemnitz
Landesvertreter Sachsen im EVD

My first uni cost about 90DM (D-Mark, the former german currency till 2001) in the late 90's which would have been around 45-50€ (48-53$) and I still run it's wheelset for freestyle.
My second uni, a 24" Qu-Ax Cross bought around 2012, cost 160€ (special offer, by adding disc brake and many other parts I later on invested around 290€ extra in this uni haha).

I've never thrown my uni on my backseat, always in the trunk.
28.05.2017: Europamarathon Görlitz

Last edited by Eric aus Chemnitz; 2017-04-05 at 12:47 PM.
Eric aus Chemnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-28, 09:45 AM   #17
Unisphere
Centripetal Accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric aus Chemnitz View Post
My first uni cost about 90DM (D-Mark, the former german currency till 2001) in the late 90's which would have been around 45-50€ (48-53$) and I still run it's wheelset for freestyle.
My second uni, a 24" Qu-Ax Cross bought around 2012, cost 160€ (special offer, by adding disc brake and many other parts I later on invested around 290€ extra in this uni haha).

I've never thrown my uni on my backseat, always in the trunk.
Eric aus Chemnitz,
I certainly understand the desire to upgrade. Sometimes, it’s hard to resist. My first unicycle is all stock and is from the late 1970s. However, soon after buying my first Muni, I wanted to add brakes so I could make it down steep declines. Well, by adding brakes, I had to change my seat and add a brake post. And well, if I was adding a brake, I decided that I should have the KH straighter brake lever. Then, as I got better a descents, I wanted to climb with more torque. So, I swopped out the cranks for longer ones. It seems the more I ride the more I want to try new equipment. Now, I have pedals on my mind. Ahhh, the addiction! I got riding on my mind.

Even George Peck upgraded his unicycles, proactively.

George Peck:
"Choose a platform pedal as wide as possible. Since you will be standing on the pedals most of the time, a broad pedal provides more comfort and control. Bear traps are too fragile and too hard on shoes. They’ll wear out a shoe within 60 to 100 hours by cutting through at the arch. Use them only when necessary. These Shimano or ‘graffex' platforms don’t clean as well in snow and mud, but are good overall, last well and don’t wear out shoes as quickly.
These seats are all covered with nylon backed vinyl. This a material commonly used in boat canopies. It is extremely tough and even though you can’t get in on the saddle shape without wrinkles, the wrinkles don’t seem to matter. If you have a tender rear end, try a saddle with spenco padding sewn in. It’s more comfortable, but the resulting seat is more heavier.
Tires take beating so put on a good knobby. Keep inflation pressures at about 60 pounds. Never let it get below 40 pounds. Lower pressures increase the risk of pinching the tube against the rim when there’s a forceable contact against the edge. This will give you two nice simultaneous holes in the tube and a walk home."

And George Peck upgraded his unicycles, reactively.

George Peck:
"Currently available stock unicycles are not up to long term use in rough terrain. These are a few of the dozens of axles I have broken from these machines in some 3 to 4,000 hours of riding and bent cranks and broken pedals and seat posts and seat and seat covers To put together a bike robust enough for sustained rough terrain work, some stock components must be replaced. The most important is the axle. The only two types of axles that have survived my riding are the Phil Wood four shoulder taper and the Bullseye Hollowed Spined Axle. A re-enforced seat post and seat will withstand the fiercest of reefing. And the nylon vinyl seat cover will give reasonable wear. Put on the biggest platform pedals you can find. The addition of these components will reduce failure rates to an acceptable level. Otherwise, it is simply not safe to venture into terrain like this without reliable components. Especially, axles. A broken axle is fairly catastrophic in any event and this is not the place to find out more about it. As your ability to extract more and more torque from the cycle increases, so will your ability to fatigue a stock axle to failure. Steep down hills, hopping and small to medium rock work will cause stock axle failure in 100 to 200 hours. Count on it. So after you burnt out your stock axle in mild terrain, replace it with Phil Wood or Bullseye axle or equivalent."

===
And, by the way, my unicycle goes in the trunk so it's nice and safe.

Be well and never be satisfied.

Tags
count, george, george peck, low, peck’s, rough, rough terrain unicycling, terrain, unicycling, video, view