Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-07-29, 05:48 PM   #136
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

Finally some good news.
Not only the problem is properly taken care of but you even have an ETA

If you really can't wait two more weeks, ski boots should do the trick
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-05, 07:35 PM   #137
mattc
Unicyclist

lowerstackmac, thanks for sharing your journey of learning to ride. It has been fun following along. It is not fun not being able to unicycle. I broke my fibula last November and was out for over three months.

Matt
mattc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-06, 03:37 AM   #138
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Matt, I am almost three months too, it’s tough to wait it out as you well know. I am sooo close that I have been tempted to jump on my uni. I still have a bit more to go. I think maybe this week will be it, keeping my eyes crossed.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 12:34 AM   #139
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Well finally after being off the uni for three full months, I gave it a go today. I just used my 19” Athmos and it went well. I took it easy and did supported mounts as my foot is still a bit swollen. Only peddled around the yard for half an hour getting used to it again and practicing dismounting to the rear. I did try freemounting and succeeded after my third attempt. No extra pain resulted today, so all in all I’m thinkin it was a good start. I have no plan other than to mess around in the yard for a few days and see how things develop. Additionally, I don’t think I had gout in my injured foot. I believe it was just a case of old goat.
Old 2019-08-15, 01:58 AM   #140
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Congratulations, old goat! Now that you start riding again, beyond any loss of muscle tone in the "riding" muscles, you may find that your riding has improved. Why? Though you haven't been actually doing it, you may have been riding in your head, and thinking about all that stuff in this thread. That can actually work! Though usually it's more a case of taking a few days off, sometimes you just don't have a choice.

So I'm curious to know if you think you got any better, even though you weren't riding at all?

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 05:38 PM   #141
pierrox
Unicyclist

Well done!
Also, do a couple of stretches after riding, that will help!
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-16, 03:54 AM   #142
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Johnfoss, no I haven’t noticed that I am any better than before on the 19”. I am no worse though, whew. I have not tried my 26” yet, I will be able to notice any difference on it I think. I do know what you mean though and have experienced that with my banjo. After trying unsuccessfully to learn a song part for several days, then leave it alone for a few and then it comes. I guess you just subconsciously work things out that are important at that time.

pierrox, yes definitely stretching before and after. Today was just another series of practicing my skills around the yard for an hour. So far so good.
Old 2019-08-22, 07:35 AM   #143
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

So I have seven days back on the Unicycle since I hurt my foot three months ago. I started on the 19” Athmos slowly and carefully using assisted mounts to start, my foot was still a bit sore. My free mounting was poor for a couple of days at about a 30% success rate, by day five it was about 98%. My peddling has become smoother and I am sitting with more of my weight on the seat. My hands are down and one is holding the seat most of the time. I was able to make it up a small incline in my yard, a first for me. I went to the old section of seldom used Hwy on day six. I was able to ride it’s length, about a half kilometre which is on a slight down grade, remount and peddle back up to the starting point.
Still on day six, I thought I would then try the 26” muni on the Hwy since the 19” was going so well. Several failed free mount attempts sent me home to the assisted launch site. My first few assisted mounted rides were utter failures resulting in immediate UPDs. I was able to finally ride at about attempt number four. It was very jerky and only a few yards before I bailed. It did eventually smooth out and I was back to where I left off in May after another half an hour of practice.

Today was day seven, again on the 26er. My free mount percentage on the 26” is down to about 30% from around 90%. It will come back quickly I expect. My riding is smoother and much straighter than ever. My arms are down low and one hand is usually holding the seat. I believe I am going faster as well. I think I am starting to use my hips to lean the uni into turns. I say this because I am not using my hands in the odd circular stirring motion very much now. I can make it up the little hill on the 26” too. The 19” has helped a lot, it’s weird going back and forth between the 19 & 26 though. Totally different feel.

All in all I am progressing. I thought that after a year I would be much further along than I am. I’ve been off with injuries and a long winter, which with other delays has added up to almost nine months of down time. My foot is almost 100% so the riding is just going to get better with more saddle time. Thank you folks for all the advice.
Old 2019-08-22, 11:12 AM   #144
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
So I have seven days back on the Unicycle since I hurt my foot three months ago. I started on the 19” Athmos slowly and carefully using assisted mounts to start, my foot was still a bit sore. My free mounting was poor for a couple of days at about a 30% success rate, by day five it was about 98%. My peddling has become smoother and I am sitting with more of my weight on the seat. My hands are down and one is holding the seat most of the time. I was able to make it up a small incline in my yard, a first for me. I went to the old section of seldom used Hwy on day six. I was able to ride it’s length, about a half kilometre which is on a slight down grade, remount and peddle back up to the starting point.
Still on day six, I thought I would then try the 26” muni on the Hwy since the 19” was going so well. Several failed free mount attempts sent me home to the assisted launch site. My first few assisted mounted rides were utter failures resulting in immediate UPDs. I was able to finally ride at about attempt number four. It was very jerky and only a few yards before I bailed. It did eventually smooth out and I was back to where I left off in May after another half an hour of practice.

Today was day seven, again on the 26er. My free mount percentage on the 26” is down to about 30% from around 90%. It will come back quickly I expect. My riding is smoother and much straighter than ever. My arms are down low and one hand is usually holding the seat. I believe I am going faster as well. I think I am starting to use my hips to lean the uni into turns. I say this because I am not using my hands in the odd circular stirring motion very much now. I can make it up the little hill on the 26” too. The 19” has helped a lot, it’s weird going back and forth between the 19 & 26 though. Totally different feel.

All in all I am progressing. I thought that after a year I would be much further along than I am. I’ve been off with injuries and a long winter, which with other delays has added up to almost nine months of down time. My foot is almost 100% so the riding is just going to get better with more saddle time. Thank you folks for all the advice.
Good progress!!! I think particularly with your mounting success rate. Very nice!
Quote:
I say this because I am not using my hands in the odd circular stirring motion very much now.
You've just reminded me of this! I used to do it all the time, particularly around corners.....
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-22, 04:13 PM   #145
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
.....I am not using my hands in the odd circular stirring motion very much now. ....
Don't completely give up on the stirring motion, it seems to provide an extra little boost on tight turns.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-22, 09:33 PM   #146
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

JimT, Thanks, good to know and will keep it in mind.
Old 2019-08-23, 12:14 AM   #147
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Don't completely give up on the stirring motion, it seems to provide an extra little boost on tight turns.
Nice video
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 02:48 PM   #148
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

JimT pretty nice 180’s. Great video.
Old 2019-08-27, 05:32 AM   #149
BenSimons
Unicyclist

Hey lowerstackmac,

just chiming in to say that I just finished reading through this thread, and your tenacity is pretty inspiring. I've been practicing with an old Schwinn for a couple of weeks on my gravel driveway, and was having some of the same problems you were running into. I just went out again this morning and was finally able to catch some forward motion, going between 20-30 feet a couple of times.

But yeah, gravel's tough for starting out; I've got scabs all over to prove it. :-P

-Ben Simons
BenSimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-27, 07:16 AM   #150
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

BenSimons, Wow you’re not making it any easier on an old Schwinn, on a skinny tire and on gravel too. No wonder you’ve got the battle scars. I’m sure that is exactly how a lot of other forum members learned how to ride also. Maybe some of them could offer you some of their expertise. A small wheel and a smooth surface is the ideal way to learn but not always available. On advice from the forum I bought a 19” Impact Athmos. Once I got used to it I found it much easier to ride and free mount than my 26” Nimbus. I started to use both unis each practice and my proficiency on the 26” increased at a quicker rate prior to the 19.

What I did do wrong, was to use the 19” exclusively for a couple of weeks after my foot healed up. Then it was much harder to return to the 26”, my success on it went down quite a bit. I should have switched back and forth frequently between the two. I’m using both unis again now and I think it helps a lot. If you can manage to find a 19 or 20” with a wider tire I believe you’ll find it beneficial to learning. Certainly get some armour to save your hide too. 20 -30 feet, congrats you’re well on your way Ben. Keep at er and enjoy the small successes.

Tags
gravel, learning, ride