Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Non-unicycling Discussion > Just Conversation & Introduce Yourself

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2004-07-08, 12:22 AM   #31
James_Potter
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally posted by johnglazer
To become happy again, go here
http://www.hampsterdance.com/hampsterdanceredux.html
Yay! This one is better, though:
http://www.greymatter.org/satanichamsterdance/

Hahahahaha!
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 02:43 AM   #32
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfoss You can get used to almost anything.
I think the train-driver I heared last month will say that a bit different. He had 48 jumpers in 25 year.
Quote:
Originally posted by johnfoss
For us looking at pictures on a computer monitor, we have a choice.
Both people have a choise. With as difference the 1st group is doing a usefull task. The second most likely not.
Quote:
I think if you live in the Netherlands it is easy to get exposed to lots of visuals you would not see in rural Iowa without going out of your way to see them.
I agree with everything you write before the word 'without', but not with all behind it. That is if you aim at media.
And so I like to drop some of my opinion on sensorship.

I am happy to be able to use media with very few censorship. Still I think there is still too much of it:

Cases like the Belgium Marc Dutroux would have ended totaly different if "lost" evidence was published.

Or what if the "lost" pictures made by the Dutchbat platoon that was serving in Sebrenica?

Also The Netherlands is way more peacefull than exposed in foreign media or CIA factbooks.
For example up untill last februar there never ever was a deadly shoot on a school.
Only 0,2% owns a gun.
And because of what is called "legalisation" of soft drugs, there are a lot less problems.
There is no such problem as teen mothers.
And a lot less financial troubles for the average joe.
Because a lot of gay, females and immigrants on public positions -which includes politics- a lot less racism.
(a ratio dutch/foreign of 55%/45% in Rotterdam)
Anyway, less motives for sick behaviour.
And so most unsensored content comes from abroad.

I was suprised to find this movie called "4 more wars" on georgewbush.org.

And yes, I've seen that video of 6 or 7 young american children playing Iraki muslim murders (which was appearently deleted from b0g.com)...

Still I hate sensorship, since it often is used a propaganda or as disinformation tool.

Have a look at the violent (and fatal) arrest of a young "innocent" palestinian in Israel, on a website called dewaarheid.nu (translated: thetruth.now....)
Then watch what comes of the corpse in the missing picture on errori.st (meaning of errorist).

I've pointed the editorial to this. And pointed also to simular cases where the arrested survived because of cooperating.
Still they don't publish the missing picture. And did not even reply.

And at final, I should mention American media is not bad because of having more sensorship. In fact American media is good, since they -opposit to europe (with exception of the UK)- do check things before publishing. But with as bad result witnesses who fear for live, don't wish to confirm their interviews, since having knowledge can be dangerous.
And so the sensorship is not just sensorship.

Like Oscar Wilde said: "The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple".

+1 866-UNI-CYCL (ph.)
+1 855-UNI-CYCL (fax)
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 03:01 AM   #33
leo
Vandewoestijne

Okay, and I need to drop this funny cat video. Try not to laugh, I bet you can't!

+1 866-UNI-CYCL (ph.)
+1 855-UNI-CYCL (fax)
Old 2004-07-08, 03:15 AM   #34
satan_on_a_wheel_
one wheeler.

ya those sites don't make me that bad but they are pretty gross.
one thing i saw today that really ruined my day and almost made me cry, was this video this one guy posted that was on the PETA(sp?) website and it shows this guy that hurts a dog i won't tell you how cause its pretty gross. It totally ruined my day i don't know how people could hate animals. Or hurt them. Seriously like its like doing that to a person i don't understand how someone can hurt a person like not hurt but like shoot a person. I could probably do it if it was personal or something like that but to just kill some person i don't know walking down the street.
Old 2004-07-08, 10:01 PM   #35
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally posted by leo
I think the train-driver I heared last month will say that a bit different. He had 48 jumpers in 25 year.
That guy definitely falls into the "almost" category. I wonder if it is the same for all the drivers in his job? That's a lot of suicides.

Quote:
And because of what is called "legalisation" of soft drugs, there are a lot less problems.
I think there will be an argument as to whether the "less problems" is *because* of the legalization of soft drugs. Though less problems is always a good thing, the cause for it can be hard to determine. Sounds like the Netherlands has a more stable cultural footing. People just behave themselves better there. An by being a better-behaved people, you should have more privelidges because you have proven you can be more responsible.

I just wish it weren't so cold there...

And don't be afraid to click on the cat video, people. It's all good clean cat-fun. If you don't think cats are funny, you'll think otherwise after watching that great collection of home video clips!

"I think God gave us two wheels for a reason." -- Bodfish
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 10:17 PM   #36
tennisgh22
Haha you fool

Send a message via AIM to tennisgh22
48 jumpers in 25 years? I assume that means 48 people committed suicide by jumping on the tracks?

It might surprise you to find out that I want to be a surgeon. Its just something about showing graphic images as entertainment that makes me cringe. If I can see it from a medical or educational standpoint, it hardly phases me.

John, you said it takes seeing something 100 times for it to stop being such a big deal? So would I become immune if I just forced myself to go through an ogrish.com gallery 99 times, and after that I'd just be okay with it all? It seems counterintuitive but possible.

-grant
Old 2004-07-08, 11:23 PM   #37
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
I wonder if it is the same for all the drivers in his job? That's a lot of suicides.
he was "record keeper" for the Netherlands. The national railway services is trieng to get rid of him, since he wants more support for victoms of such incidents.
In Norway and Japan this problem is much bigger.

Quote:
I think there will be an argument as to whether the "less problems" is *because* of the legalization of soft drugs.
If the whole thing is in the open, there is no crime around it. I think softdrugs are less destructive than alcohol is. But I don't use any of this. Still I have to defend often against stupid remarks when crossing international borders. Another positive effect: If it's not illegal, it is not interesting for the youth.

Quote:
by being a better-behaved people, you should have more privelidges because you have proven you can be more responsible.
Freedom is just a state of mind. I can tell you I've been in jail for making pictures of an police-officer on the most public place of Amsterdam. They forbid all press to take any picture of my arrest, and I got released after deleting the evidence, off course without any charges on me. The week after the queen is at the same square to remember those who fight for "freedom".

Quote:
Originally posted by tennisgh22
John, you said it takes seeing something 100 times for it to stop being such a big deal? So would I become immune if I just forced myself to go through an ogrish.com gallery 99 times, and after that I'd just be okay with it all? It seems counterintuitive but possible.
I think he more ment occupations. Still I can remember a conversation I once had with a war-reporter in cambodja. I think he must have seen some more than only 100 incidents. I will spare you the details, because I don't think this is the right place to even write that here.

But I'm sure there are a bit too much that wont fit into the "almost" catagory. I think there is a big difference between "being able to handle it" and "getting used to it".

+1 866-UNI-CYCL (ph.)
+1 855-UNI-CYCL (fax)
Old 2004-10-25, 11:30 AM   #38
leo
Vandewoestijne

Del Olmo clausura una página web con imágenes de la masacre

Ogrish banned over madrid bombing images

Ogrish has anounced to take legal action against their ban.

Also I've seen the same movie on a commercial EOD website kind of being used as advertisement.

+1 866-UNI-CYCL (ph.)
+1 855-UNI-CYCL (fax)
Old 2004-10-25, 06:53 PM   #39
tennisgh22
Haha you fool

Send a message via AIM to tennisgh22
thats very interesting...i speak some spanish so i was able to understand most of the article.

anyone here thats pro-ogrish and anti-censorship?

-grant
Old 2004-10-25, 11:51 PM   #40
James_Potter
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally posted by tennisgh22

anyone here thats pro-ogrish and anti-censorship?
I'm somewhat anti-censorship, but I'm definitely not pro-ogrish. However, I think ogrish should be allowed to have the website, but it should have a disclaimer or something at the beginning before you enter the main site. That way people know what they're about to see, so they can't get permanently scarred for life (or whatever).
James_Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 01:46 AM   #41
Evolution1

Let's Ban Together to Rid the World of these Sites

The freedom of speech has gone too far here. I am willing to do whatever it takes to put an end to such sites as ogrish.tv and rotten.com. For those of you who have any idea how we can do this, please get in touch with me. Think about the children whom are turned on to these sites. Do you really want your kids seeing this filth? Do you really want to watch this filth? No.
Evolution1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 04:22 AM   #42
leo
Vandewoestijne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution1 View Post
No.
No?

+1 866-UNI-CYCL (ph.)
+1 855-UNI-CYCL (fax)
Old 2012-04-27, 05:51 PM   #43
maestro8
is what it is

Quote:
The freedom of speech has gone too far here.
Really? How has the free speech of these sites directly impacted your life in such a way that you can not avoid the effects?

Quote:
I am willing to do whatever it takes to put an end to such sites as ogrish.tv and rotten.com. For those of you who have any idea how we can do this, please get in touch with me.
It is quite simple. Don't visit those sites.

Quote:
Think about the children whom are turned on to these sites.
I'm not the type to think about "turned on" children, but I'll humor you for the sake of conversation.

The question that comes to mind is "where are the parents of these children, and why do they let them roam the Internet without supervision?"

That question set aside, the next one that comes to mind is "what harm is befalling these children from viewing such material?" Reality can be a harsh mistress... this might not be a bad lesson to teach a child, although using such "shock and awe" techniques aren't quite the way to do so IMO.

Quote:
Do you really want your kids seeing this filth?
Filth? That's quite judgmental. I'm not going to expose them to it, but I won't hide it from them either. There's a time and a place for everything.

Quote:
Do you really want to watch this filth?
No, nor do I care to see Kim Kardashian on TV, but I'm not going to do a thing to get her off the tube. Why should I?
Old 2012-04-27, 07:39 PM   #44
aarons
Eating a sandwich

Quote:
I am willing to do whatever it takes to put an end to such sites as ogrish.tv and rotten.com. For those of you who have any idea how we can do this, please get in touch with me.
Here's my idea: Let's join a unicycling forum and post our complaints there. I think it'll work.
aarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 08:49 PM   #45
Milosboy
Live every week like its shark week

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons View Post
Here's my idea: Let's join a unicycling forum and post our complaints there. I think it'll work.
I was going to post that, but you beat me to it!

I do wish people would quit joining the forums to rant about issues like this. Go find a ranting forum?
Happy cows come from California. Then at one point, PETA got into the mix and claimed that California cows were not happy. Of course, being the animal experts PETA aren't, they were unable to quantify any method of detecting cow happiness. - JF

Last edited by Milosboy; 2012-04-27 at 08:56 PM.
Milosboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hates, ogrishcom, rottencom