Unicyclist Community

home gallery forums webmail links map donate
Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycle Product Reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-22, 12:18 AM   #286
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

First off-road impressions of the Fat Albert 2.4 (front): initially it rolled well and handled decently, but felt a bit too solid - wasn't absorbing the bumps that well. So I stopped and let a little pressure out and it felt a lot better - haven't checked the pressure, but I guess it's down to a little over 20psi. Still no problems with sidewalls folding or feeling squirmy at that pressure (well below stated minimum), though you have to bear in mind that I was only riding very mild bumpy grass and dirt, no rocks or drops.

I did a little ride I'd done previously on the Duro, and despite the ground being far more wet and draggy (which you'd think wouldn't suit the narrower tyre that much) the Albert certainly felt a lot faster. Also some muddy bits, and I didn't notice any problems with grip on stuff where I'd definitely have lost it with a Racing Ralph - I should point out that I'm actually running this front tyre backwards so that the squarer edges of the knobbles designed for braking are helping with traction (maybe a rear would be more suitable, but I couldn't get one of those cheap!)
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 02:54 AM   #287
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I pumped it up to 25psi, a bit below the recommended min of 2 bar (29psi) marked on the tyre, though the website suggests you can go to 1.6 bar.
Wow, that's a lot of pressure! I run 1 bar (16psi) on my Ardent 29 x 2.4 and my Arrow Savage 26 x 2.6, the most I have ever run in a muni tire is 20psi on a Racing Ralph 29 x 2.4

So Kris, have you tried the Schwalbe Hans Damph?
Old 2012-04-22, 09:20 AM   #288
Smilymarco
just call me similymarco

Send a message via ICQ to Smilymarco Send a message via MSN to Smilymarco
Im running around 1.8 till 2 bar on my Conti Rubber Queen (2.4)
Protected by Better for your body
Smilymarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 10:15 AM   #289
aracer
Registered Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
Wow, that's a lot of pressure! I run 1 bar (16psi) on my Ardent 29 x 2.4 and my Arrow Savage 26 x 2.6, the most I have ever run in a muni tire is 20psi on a Racing Ralph 29 x 2.4
Ah well - I am a bit of a newbie, and didn't want to risk too low a pressure - ran a lightweight 2" tyre with too little pressure early on and it felt horrible. As I mentioned in my off-road report, I found I was pinging off stuff at 25psi, so stopped and let some air out after a few minutes. Have now checked it on the gauge and I'd let out more than I thought - actually only had 15psi in, and it felt fine at that!

I've clearly not got a lot of experience or much to compare this to, but from my experiences so far I'd suggest it's a tyre worth considering - certainly seems to work better at low pressures than the Racing Ralph 2.4 (or than the Nobby Nic, which has the same carcass as the RR, but tread more like the FA). At 59mm on a Nimbus 42mm rim it may not be quite as wide as a 2.4 Rubber Queen (how wide is that really?), but at 750g it's a lot lighter - could it be the lightest real muni worthy tyre?
aracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 06:44 PM   #290
danger_uni
Kris Holm

Quote:

So Kris, have you tried the Schwalbe Hans Damph?
No I haven't. Looks like one to check out, though.

K.
danger_uni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 07:47 PM   #291
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Quote:
I've clearly not got a lot of experience or much to compare this to, but from my experiences so far I'd suggest it's a tyre worth considering - certainly seems to work better at low pressures than the Racing Ralph 2.4 (or than the Nobby Nic, which has the same carcass as the RR, but tread more like the FA). At 59mm on a Nimbus 42mm rim it may not be quite as wide as a 2.4 Rubber Queen (how wide is that really?), but at 750g it's a lot lighter - could it be the lightest real muni worthy tyre?
Weight is important, but ride quality is equally important, I liked the RR 2.4, BUT, I had to run higher pressures to avoid pinch flats and sidewall collapse, so it rode hard. Switching to an Ardent 2.4 was like a breath of fresh air, more comfort, added 200gm of tire (lost 100gm of tube), and traction was improved.

It's the same thing with width/volume, there's a trade off, sometimes fatter is not better, sometimes the characteristics of the tire are "mistmatched". For example the WTB Dissent: The sidewall is soft relative to the tread/casing, so it rode hard even at low pressure, so it had no real benefits other than being a heavy tire, hence it's lack of popularity.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe a narrower tire with a decent sidewall might not be better than a high volume tire with a soft sidewall, aka an Ardent 2.2 vs an Ardent 2.4 or in Kris's case, a single wall High Roller 2.5 vs a 2 play 2.7

Gradually my tires are getting narrower
Old 2012-04-23, 09:22 PM   #292
davidp
Unicyclist

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if maybe a narrower tire with a decent sidewall might not be better than a high volume tire with a soft sidewall
I found myself thinking the same thing after riding a wire bead Wolverine 29x2.2 and really liking the feel despite being lower volume than other 29" tires I have ridden. On a 47mm rim the tire feels very stable over rough ground and just forgiving enough.

It's about 4oz heavier than an Ardent 2.4. There are folding versions available for weight savings but I'm not sure if the sidewalls are thinner on those versions.

Unfortunately the tread isn't quite perfect for my riding. It's fine on pavement, great on hard and somewhat loose dirt, and decent on sand; but the tire keeps sliding out on corners that have a lot of loose pine needles. This isn't something I ever thought I would have a problem with on a unicycle and I don't feel like I am going too fast. I haven't decided yet whether I'll stick with the tire or try something with bigger knobs.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 09:42 PM   #293
Smilymarco
just call me similymarco

The queen is dead... i somehow managed to destroy the casing... last few weeks i rode it at 2 bar and it popped 2 tubes with tubeless-milk and the tire couldnt stay straight on the rim anymore.

Long life the Baron! 2.5, dh-tire, weights a ton
Old 2012-06-29, 04:17 AM   #294
OutdoorJunkie
Addicted to muni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilymarco View Post
The queen is dead... i somehow managed to destroy the casing... last few weeks i rode it at 2 bar and it popped 2 tubes with tubeless-milk and the tire couldnt stay straight on the rim anymore.

Long life the Baron! 2.5, dh-tire, weights a ton
I am very interested to see how you like the Baron...
OutdoorJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 07:44 PM   #295
Nurse Ben
XC Muni

Take a look at the Hans Dampf, great tire, been riding it on my 29er for a few months now, wouldn't go back, it's a perfect bland of weight, durability, and resilence. Kind of expensive...but then so are most good tires.
Old 2012-07-02, 08:30 AM   #296
Smilymarco
just call me similymarco

Paid over 60€ for the Baron... Bought it in the Black Chili Compound of course. If it lasts as long as the Queen its a very good price. I rode the queen for about 2 years and she still has a lot of profile left.
The chili compound from Conti is awesome!

Still need to ride with it though... wanted to do it yesterday, but slipped away on wet stairs and hurt my foot... cant try it this weekend either (have to work at Challenge Roth triathlon).
Old 2012-07-27, 04:07 PM   #297
knoxuni
wes style!!

Send a message via Skype™ to knoxuni
what is a good tire for roots and mud and snow?
Old 2012-07-27, 08:37 PM   #298
knoxuni
wes style!!

I am looking at this Continental Mountain King 26X2.4 i am wondering if it will be to narrow for rocky and rooty stuff. it looks like it will roll faster than my duro but sill have good volume. what yall think?
Old 2012-07-28, 12:09 PM   #299
davidp
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxuni View Post
I am looking at this Continental Mountain King 26X2.4 i am wondering if it will be to narrow for rocky and rooty stuff. it looks like it will roll faster than my duro but sill have good volume. what yall think?
If you already have the Mountain King, sure try if out. But if you're shopping for a new tire go for the Trail King 2.4. It's a much bigger tire than the Mountain King 2.4.

I've been using the Trail King for over a year and it's my preferred unicycle for rougher trails.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 04:47 PM   #300
knoxuni
wes style!!

Here is is! its a 26X2.4 mountain king with 2.5in tube in it. its alot faster rolling but cant handle roots for a worth. I went back to the duro very fast! I am still looking for a 2.7-3in wide tire that i can run down hill style runs on and big drops. any help?

Tags
muni, official, page, review, tyre