View Single Post
Old 2019-05-07, 07:12 AM   #4
ruari
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbach View Post
That could have been me.
Yep, I looked at some of your old posts, so I am sure it was you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizbach View Post
I've been running 104's on my 32. What is your review of 90's to 100's?
I'm scared to go below 100.
First time I tried 102mm (on my 26"x2.8), it was actually a mistake. I simply bought the wrong cranks! I intended to buy something longer but clicked on the wrong thing and didn't really notice until they arrived. When they did show up they looked so small. Up to that point I had never run anything less than 125mm on any unicycle.

Having said that, I got used to them really fast and loved them. It was pretty much an instant speed increase with no real downsides for the type of riding and routes I was doing. Initially I struggled a little up some hills that I had managed before but it took very little time to overcome.

Every since that success I had been thinking about riding something shorter to see if I would be even better. Recently I did try 89mm on the 26x3.0 but I will admit, I gave up fairly soon. It was certainly ride-able and flats or slight inclines felt pretty good but all the hills I regularly ride up were harder and some were no longer possible. It is interesting that just 10mm less can make such a difference. I imagined that with a bit of work, I would be able to get up them all again but I couldn't see that my average speed over a typical route (with hilly sections) would increase enough to justify the switch (89's might make me slightly faster on the flats but I would be much slower on the hills). So I went back to VCX+ cranks set to 100mm and it felt great (again).

When I bought this new URC 24 I figured I would start off with 90mm because the smaller wheel size (even with a 3.0" tyre) might make the shorter cranks come into their own.

Right now however, I would say the jury is still out on if the 100mm or 90mm is better for this setup (for my skill level and the routes I generally ride). Certainly, it has worked better than it did on the 26" uni. I could instantly get up all the hills I regularly ride (bar one small, steep section right outside the door of my work) but I am right on the edge for a couple of them. Of course, this could be considered a good thing, as we all need a challenge from time to time, right?

It also feels surprisingly quick and smooth on flattish sections. I haven't timed myself yet, but as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't feel slower than the 26", on these sections. The hills though are a bit slower (despite what I said above, I see this now as I have ridden more), and I can't help but wonder if my average times would still be better on 100mm. Also, so far, I have only run on smooth road surfaces. I haven't even tried anything with a slightly rougher surface or grass. Again my assumption is that the extra leverage that 10mm more would give me, will be a lot easier and I will feel much more confident.

In summary, I sort of suspect that 90mm is pushing it too far for my usage on both the 24" and 26" but I think I should probably stick it out a little longer on the 24" before I can say that for certain.

P.S. I have also noticed that I am having pains in my legs again after riding for a few days. In my mind, this shouldn't happen, since I ride very regularly (commuting every day). So this is either the the increase in the amount of rotations I need due to the smaller wheel, the fact that I need a faster spin for a similar speed or perhaps it is the shorter cranks working my muscles differently.

Last edited by ruari; 2019-05-07 at 07:21 AM.
ruari is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05843 seconds with 9 queries