View Single Post
Old 2014-05-01, 06:32 AM   #7
UniSpud
Freelance Enthusiast

Quote:
I overheard a fellow talking about how much he was losing in taxes on his second home and thought about how much of money's value is reliant on perspective.
I think money has the value one places on it. To some it represents freedom, to some it represents power, to some it is a reminder of the poverty they live in. I don't think it has any intrinsic value, it is, after all, just metal and paper.

Deciding to do what one wants to do is easy. The hard part is letting go of lots of years of training and societal viewpoints. Then there is the bringing the decision into reality. It can be done, but takes some re-adjustment.

I worked at a job I hated for years (construction) until I finally focused my dislike into action. I threw (literally) all my tools away and have never looked back. That was well over 20 years ago. After I did that I was amazed at how much my world opened up to me. I've lived on 3 continents and haven't had a regular job in 16 or 17 years. I've toured the US on a used motorcycle twice and I've ridden across Lake Victoria in Africa in a very overloaded boat. Now I'm slowly learning how to ride a unicycle.

Since deciding to live a less-stressful life I've washed dishes, cleaned toilets and done lots of odd jobs to maintain my existence. They say pride goeth before a fall and I agree. I had to let a lot of pride go so I could fall from the rickety perch a "normal" life had put me on. The landing was softer than I thought and I'm still on the green side of the grass.

Doing what you want to do is important. A friend said to me years ago, "I don't want to be taking my last breath and realize I'm at the end of someone else's life". That was a powerful statement to me and really kicked me in the pants. As the old saying goes, "Free your mind and your ass will follow". Words to live by.
UniSpud is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05134 seconds with 9 queries