View Single Post
Old 2019-01-12, 06:52 PM   #3
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

The web site works just fine. The problem is with the users. Some of them, particularly the younger crowd, have left us for Facebook. We are primarily a forum of middle-aged riders. I am happy every time a new rider stimulates the discussion on the forum, but they typically start a new thread for every new idea they have.

The other day, I decided to post some reflections on learning to wheel walk; I could not decide which of the 20 or so, single-page, WW threads to append. The best threads are the long ones, and it seems like we've forgotten how to do that. Apologies to the German members of the forum; look at the German threads; see how many replies there are.

A couple years ago, there was a newcomer to the forum. He made a lot of new threads. He virtually never bothered to reply to others who took the time to reply to him. As a beginner, he boasted wildly about wanting to ride 300 miles in 3 days on his 26". I suggested he use the Search function and that he didn't have to constantly create new threads. I got an unpleasant reply from him. Not too long after, he was off the forum. Maybe he found Facebook, a more effective platform for getting attention, or maybe he stopped riding.

Maybe there *is* something that be done to help the website. Whenever someone tries to post a new thread, a series of click-through warnings can be displayed on the screen. For example, notify the user that threads may already exist, tell them that their post will be read more often if it is appended to an already existing, more popular thread. Or an even more high-tech solution: Instead of a user choosing a thread (new or existing) then posting to it, invert the process; the user composes first, then the post is automatically run through the search, then a list of suggested threads, based on multiple keyword searches, is returned.

Gilby, thank you for running this great site. I don't know how hard it is to get stats on site history, but I am curious if adding new threads has always been an issue, or if the practice has increased over the years. For example, in a given year, what percentage of posts were thread-starters?
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02862 seconds with 9 queries