View Single Post
Old 2019-10-21, 08:01 PM   #29
Tinkerbeau
Unicyclist

Cool – three folk agreeing on something in three consecutive posts – there must be some truth in this. And I guess it is no wonder nor rocket science that learning new stuff works better when you are fresh and not exhausted.

Having said that about agreement, I feel slightly different on the fun aspect. I think most of us unicycle for fun, not? There are much more efficient ways of pedal-travel or to get exercise, so it must be that we like … whatever, the challenge of a new skill, the success in learning, or simply whatever we do, whether that is riding or improving. I’ve been cycling for 45 years now and still enjoy it even though I can not win a road race or hop over some ridiculously tricky obstacles but give me a nice day and a good path and I enjoy … just the ride. So, I think I can have fun being lazy with my old slippers on, and when I don’t like that feeling any more I can get different slippers or start a Merino farm to produce wool to re-line my old slippers.
I better get back to the uni-context now: fun is key. Sure there might be some work needed to have fun, but it shouldn’t be work only. If it was, I’d want paid (and I won’t ever – not with my riding). And sometimes it is best to leave practice aside and just enjoy what you (can) do?
What I am trying to say is that yes, practice is best when you are fresh, and practice increases skills, but why not also just ride for fun? (or practise for fun?)
Tinkerbeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05565 seconds with 9 queries