View Single Post
Old 2009-01-16, 11:33 PM   #47
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefule View Post
Strange thing: a poor uneducated Palestinian whose family has been kept locked in a massive open air prison for years by a powerful enemy feels he has no other way of fighting back, so he straps a bomb to himself and determines to take some of the enemy with him. He is a cowardly terrorist.

One can always argue whether the label of terrorist is correct, though if it includes suicide bombing it may be hard for people to think otherwise. Were the Japanese Kamikaze pilots in WWII terrorists? If not, what's the difference?

A highly trained pilot from an educated and comfortable background retaliates by firing millions of pounds worth of missiles from a jet plane way out of range of enemy fire, and he's courageously fighting against terrorism.
I also agree with you that they are both wrong. Both sides are very familiar by now of the peace process, and the many options open to them. I think when this stuff happens it's like they are trying to take shortcuts.

In your example above, who is the poor uneducated guy blowing up? By definition it should be civilians. Should we think him too uneducated to know if this is a bad idea or morally questionable? To me, attaching the word 'cowardly' in front of 'terrorist' is kind of superfluous. Most forms of targeting civilians is cowardly. But leaving it there is a good reminder.

The pilot, on the other hand, is following orders from up his chain of command; orders he may completely disagree with. He knows he's part of the problem but to refuse his orders could have very bad consequences for him as well. Unlike the poor man, he has a government behind him. Or is the poor man following orders from Hamas?

BTW, no, I don't mean to argue in favor of Israel's overkill response. I understand what they're trying to do, but I think there are better, though slower ways.

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Last edited by johnfoss; 2009-01-16 at 11:36 PM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02919 seconds with 9 queries