View Single Post
Old 2019-05-13, 04:38 AM   #15
taylorsinclairstie
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper View Post
Your seat is too high for a learner. Drop it down an inch or so. Keep those legs bent a little when they're at the bottom of the stroke when you're learning.
I will definitely try this and see what happens. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
Taylorsinclairstie,
It just takes time. Accept small improvements and don't necessarily expect constant improvement. You stated that you have rode as much as 17 ft, I'd bet that you could not ride that far on your first attempt. Learning is not really something that just clicks and you ride off into the sunset. It is a muscle memory thing and that takes time to develop. Muscle memory is a form of procedural memory that involves consolidating a specific motor task into memory through repetition, which has been used synonymously with motor learning. When a movement is repeated over time, a long-term muscle memory is created for that task, eventually allowing it to be performed without conscious effort.

Don't be concerned about too little weight on the saddle. As you develop your muscle memory and react instantly without thinking about your actions you can then start to work on putting more weight in the saddle and taking some of the load off your legs.
Thank you for your response. I do a lot of work that involves muscle memory, and in other disciplines I try to avoid incorrect movements so as not to solidify bad habits. I suppose it's a little different with learning this because there isn't a good way to mime it without doing it, nor is there a way to practice slowly. I will try to not expect steady improvement in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton005 View Post
Good advice here. I'd say that after 22 hrs I probably couldn't ride even 10 feet. What seemed to work for me was just getting revolutions while riding along a fence, not worrying about getting riding, but just working my muscles getting them used to the motion. Pop in some earbuds to mute the peanut gallery and have some music you like. Try and enjoy the process
Thank you for the perspective and encouragement!
taylorsinclairstie is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03020 seconds with 9 queries