View Single Post
Old 2018-03-29, 04:12 PM   #75
Up Rite
There can only be ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what part of Wet West Canada are you in? Sounds like Vancouver or Victoria? You mentioned a unicyclist with a juggling record. What did he do? Reading your story makes me think of a guy I saw in New York City in the late 80s, trying to do a Guinness record for juggling 16-pound bowling balls on a giraffe unicycle. This guy weighed at least 250 pounds. I don't remember him freemounting the giraffe, but gave him lots of props for being up there with an extra 48 pounds of bowling ball.
That sounds brutally tough. Hope someone can post a video of it.

This fine fellow http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ycle-1.4304588

These good guys are also members of the local group.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...uver-1.3266426

Quote:
We can't see what your practicing looks like, but it seems to be wearing you out too much. I get the impression your seat may be lower than it should, and you are probably not putting enough weight on the seat yet. What kills most riders when they're learning is the constant strain on most of their leg muscles as they're all activating while trying to learn the right moves. So the more you can remove your upper body's weight from the equation the better.

For seat height, you don't want a completely straight leg like a Freestyler, because you're not riding on smoothness. The general rule is to sit with your heel on the pedal at the bottom, with a just a little bit of bend in your knee. If you find that spot, take about 1/2" inch off of that. Sorry about the pounds and inches, we Americans are backward.

If adjusting your seat like that seems incredibly high, you're definitely riding with it way too low, and this is probably the major reason for wearing out so fast.
I can think in both metric and imperial. Whichever you prefer.

I read in so many places that beginners set their seats too low, the first few times out with the local group they said my seat was too low. So I made sure on my own I set it as high as I could. then they told me my seat was too high. I think I got it right now.

The first time I gave serious go to unicycing, it was tough but I just kept pushing myself and it killed me for a week. At everything in sight and was down 5 lb, too sore and tied to do any of my other routine. A bicycle does not do that to me. So I thought, damn, this is tough, if I learn this, I should completely transform myself and gain new abilities I previously did not have.

I am into that sort of thing. I eventually expect to have a lean strong core, lots of stamina, and a new sense of balance.

Quote:
I can feel the pressure from everyone from you to just focus on riding out into the open. But I realize part of your reluctance, beyond the normal reluctance that's normal for most beginners, is of taking a hard fall and possibly getting injured. I appreciate that you have a lot of discipline and patience, as described in your weight lifting regimen. It's okay to stick with what works for you. If it's not working, then it's time to adjust.
When I can go along the full length of the wall, preferably in both directions as well as both sides, I will do so. When I am very sleep deprived, which can happen when my schedule gets screwed up, sometimes I will head out to practice wired on caffeine and other stimulants. Last year in a sleep deprived caffeinated state I could not balance on that thing. Now much better. I do notice that I can't get as far along the wall when sleep deprived. I expected this.

Now I can go out and hoof it, or hit the weights etc. and get in a decent workout sleep deprived. Not as good as full rest, but decent. Sleep deprivation has a far more dramatic effect on my unicycle practice. It really messes it up badly. It will be interesting to see how sleep deprivation affects unicycling as my skill progresses. Sleep deprivation does not have this effect on my bicycling ability.

Quote:
The other thing you might try is to add some lower-resistance cardio to your workouts; take some of that uni time, and use it to jump rope, or ride a bike uphill or something. If you lived near my grandpa's school it would be a great workout; his school was uphill in both directions, and usually into the wind.
Yes. Imagine standing on top of a 10" high watermelon seed, on a field of grease. It's something like that. Harder than a Freewheel uni. Save it for later.
It is, in terms of being something very new for your body to figure out, with lots of picking yourself up over and over until you get it right. It probably works out your brain as well, while working out lots of muscles all over your body.

In the end, you will start making more revolutions. I think you're pretty close to the "click", where progress starts to accelerate exponentially. That will be the beginning of the payoff, for all your hard work! Don't quit now.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Trying to fit it all into my weird often unpredicatable schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2yl5hnjrDQ

Human gyroscope in training.

Up Rite is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03548 seconds with 9 queries