View Single Post
Old 2018-05-10, 01:19 PM   #40
Pinoclean
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
The IG is definitely welded, there's no way to create a weld-free hollow 'Y' shape without using a casting process, which would result in a very weak part. In the case of the IG what they've done is first weld three sections of tube and then smoothed out the welds by sanding or CNC machining, thereby creating the illusion of a weld-free product. Other than the added aesthetic appeal, smooth welds may remove stress risers resulting in stronger joints.

Hydroforming is usually performed prior to welding, and its purpose is to shape straight tube into a funkier shape (see the sides of the Impact Gravity). Hydroformed frames are usually stronger and look sexier.

Can't remember where but someone who was initially sceptical about these bearings used them for 6 months without a hitch. They are a bit wider than the usual uni bearings, so they either employ two rows of spherical bearings or one row of needle roller bearings (which would have much greater load capacity than much larger ball bearings). I suspect they are two-row ball bearings though.

Edit: It's defo welded, according to UDC:
My mistake about the welds. Though not a mistake about the 32mm bearings being rubbish. I know a 48kg 13 yr old who has broken 4 pairs of them. I know a good rider who is 68kg who destroyed them in 3 weeks of flatland. Any serious riding even for a light person will break them, and if you tighten the bearing holders too much (I suspect this may have been an issue with the 13 yr old) it also destroys them. When I say too much I mean the amount you need to tighten them to stop them coming undone when you don't have Loctite. Loctite is a necessity of you want them to not come loose.

Doesn't happen with 42s.

Udc Brought the size in using dual 32mm bearings to make up the width, those were rubbish so they ended up making double thickness single bearings, they are still almost as bad.
Pinoclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03223 seconds with 9 queries