PDA

View Full Version : Responding to spam threads


harper
2004-08-04, 01:29 AM
I am always against responding to spam because I like to see the threads die quickly. One notable exception is in the most recent case.

John Childs pointed out that the link in a spam message was a .zip file. These are self extracting and notorious for containing viruses and other bad things. If you see spam with a dangerous link like this one or one with a .pif or .exe file or other executable file, please respond, like John did, but only once.

If you see that someone has already posted the warning, go ahead and notify the moderators if you want to but don't respond anymore; just let it die. Just because someone posted a warning doesn't mean that they notified the moderators. Eventually a moderator will get a report and trash the message.

Warnings, like John gave, I think are a good idea in this case. Tom Blackwood, who happened to be the one who reported the post, also made a note to the moderators that the thread might contain a dangerous link.

jagur
2004-08-04, 01:52 AM
as the poster boy for what exaggerated measures can happen when you do post to spam. i now watch with joy as some of them seem to last forever. like the big fat one that pops up out of no where.

everytime spam hits the board i get all covered in goose pimples. i no longer report since i wouldnt want to annoy Sir Gilbus with fluff.

BTW, i guess the porn shots in the News and Announcements section that have been there for almost 3 days isnt spam eh?
right click fast boys

billham
2004-08-04, 01:57 AM
moderators

Thanks for the time you spend with this forum. I'm sure much time is spent doing this work and for the good of the overall forum. I am very appreciative of this forum and the work that is done to keep it running.

Thanks

Bill

harper
2004-08-04, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by jagur
as the poster boy for what exaggerated measures can happen when you do post to spam. i now watch with joy as some of them seem to last forever. like the big fat one that pops up out of no where.



You're a poster boy in more than one thread right now, aren't you? I'm glad Mike found the article and got your photo posted. I'm afraid that's more like 15 seconds of fame so you get 59 more of those.

The big, fat one (spam) really is a pain. It apparently crossed over from a bicycling forum somewhere. It would be nice if its origin could be traced and then blocked. I think I killed one third of those threads before they were even reported.

rhysling
2004-08-04, 05:15 PM
Here, here! I couldn't agree more! Let me be the first to point out that most of what I say constatutes Spam, and that you have my full support in banning anyone who encourages me by responding.


What say you?

:D

-C

Ken Cline
2004-08-04, 06:03 PM
"harper" <harper@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:
>
> The big, fat one really is a pain. It apparently crossed over from a
> bicycling forum somewhere.

Most spam, including that one, could be robomoderated out of the forum
by discarding messages posted to more than one newsgroup. That
wouldn't fix rec.sport.unicycling on Usenet (the newsgroup would have
to become moderated and Gilby would have to take on even more work to
do that), but it would fix most of the garbage for most of the
participants.

Since I read Usenet, this doesn't help me directly. You can suggest
it if you like the idea.

Ken

Klaas Bil
2004-08-05, 07:18 AM
On 04 Aug 2004 12:03:01 -0600, Ken Cline wrote:

>Most spam, including that one, could be robomoderated out of the forum
>by discarding messages posted to more than one newsgroup. That
>wouldn't fix rec.sport.unicycling on Usenet (the newsgroup would have
>to become moderated and Gilby would have to take on even more work to
>do that),
Gilby doesn't seem to be so newsgroup-minded so I can't see him taking
that on.

> but it would fix most of the garbage for most of the
>participants.
>
>Since I read Usenet, this doesn't help me directly. You can suggest
>it if you like the idea.
Fortunately, there is little spam on the newsgroup (knock it off). As
it is, I can easily deal with it.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe

Ken Cline
2004-08-05, 04:08 PM
klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl (Klaas Bil) writes:

> On 04 Aug 2004 12:03:01 -0600, Ken Cline wrote:
>
> >Most spam, including that one, could be robomoderated out of the forum
> >by discarding messages posted to more than one newsgroup. That
> >wouldn't fix rec.sport.unicycling on Usenet (the newsgroup would have
> >to become moderated and Gilby would have to take on even more work to
> >do that),
> Gilby doesn't seem to be so newsgroup-minded so I can't see him taking
> that on.

Taking what on? Filtering out cross-posted Usenet messages before
they are posted to unicyclist.com should be very easy and would help
keep that forum clean of junk without involving moderators. The
filter is nearly trivial: reject any message with a comma in the
"newsgroups:" line. I think it's a win, but it doesn't help me since
I read r.s.u. on Usenet.

Moderating Usenet r.s.u., on the other hand, is a much more ambitious
task - one that would either require Gilby or a team of moderators to
commit to maintain. Not worth it in my estimation.

Lia Zan
2004-08-05, 05:32 PM
Spam is a Most Agreagious Offence in Nangon. Suspision of Spam or encouraging Spam by further discource results in imediate imprizonment with trial some time later.

Currently my uncle and Governer of Nangon Province Lia Xio suffers the company of several Spamers at the Central Prizon in Bijing including my brother Lia Phat and Infamouse Spamer Jagur Thomas.

My brother hopes for a quick release as the recounting of Jagurs glory day as Bicylce messanger grows intolerable with each retelling. Let his suffering be an example to you all.

Lia Zan
Depute Lurker of Nangon Prefecture

Klaas Bil
2004-08-06, 06:18 AM
Ken, I quoted too liberally. I commented specifically on your
statement "the newsgroup would have to become moderated and Gilby
would have to take on even more work to do that".

Moderating the newsgroup on Usenet is what I can't see Gilby taking
on.

On 05 Aug 2004 10:07:34 -0600, Ken Cline wrote:

>klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl (Klaas Bil) writes:
>
>> On 04 Aug 2004 12:03:01 -0600, Ken Cline wrote:
>>
>> >Most spam, including that one, could be robomoderated out of the forum
>> >by discarding messages posted to more than one newsgroup. That
>> >wouldn't fix rec.sport.unicycling on Usenet (the newsgroup would have
>> >to become moderated and Gilby would have to take on even more work to
>> >do that),
>> Gilby doesn't seem to be so newsgroup-minded so I can't see him taking
>> that on.
>
>Taking what on? Filtering out cross-posted Usenet messages before
>they are posted to unicyclist.com should be very easy and would help
>keep that forum clean of junk without involving moderators. The
>filter is nearly trivial: reject any message with a comma in the
>"newsgroups:" line. I think it's a win, but it doesn't help me since
>I read r.s.u. on Usenet.
>
>Moderating Usenet r.s.u., on the other hand, is a much more ambitious
>task - one that would either require Gilby or a team of moderators to
>commit to maintain. Not worth it in my estimation.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe