Does anybody else seem to have a huge discrepancy between their hopping
to the side and hopping forward? I can hope over twice as far to either
side than I can hop forward. Is it a different technique or just more
practice needed? (Ok, I know more practice is needed I just wonder if
I'm missing something.) I think part of it might be that I lean more
into the jump to the side. Hmmm...

Norman Smith
Karuizawa, Japan

Half my friends are amazed I can Unicycle,...
the other half wonder why I want to..
--
Direct access to this group with http://web2news.com
http://web2news.com/?rec.sport.unicycling

JonnyD
2003-06-13, 06:50 AM
I think the discrepancy is actually the norm (no pun intended), not the exeption.

I don't know if I can explain very well why, but unless you have momentum(rolling hop) you'll have trouble getting nearly as far forwards.

Although with practice your ability to go forward will increase, i doubt a non-moving forward hop for you will ever be as long as a side hop.

andrew_carter
2003-06-13, 07:12 AM
When you're jumping to the side you can use the bounce in the tyre to sort of 'flick' you along but when you're jumping forwards it's harder (in my opinion). I've noticed that a lot of trials guys hop on 45 degrees or so when they're going for distance.

Andrew

Monkey Juggler
2003-06-13, 09:18 PM
I find a 45 degree angle allows you to reduce fold over, increase distance, and take advantage of the extra push of the tire on the lip of the ledge.

- Sal Gionfriddo

gingerfreek
2003-06-13, 09:30 PM
i find when doing large rolling hops it is best to go in at 45 degrees because it's much safer. if you go head on and you just dont make it the tyre slips back off the obstacle and you go flying.
at 45 if u come up short or dont make the height then u usualy cann just step onto the obstacle. this often boosts my confidence and i can go higher.

iain

johnfoss
2003-06-13, 09:40 PM
In a side hop, you have a bigger group of muscles to help with the body-folding that supplies most of your movement. I think the muscles on your sides are better equipped for this than the muscles on your front, which are mostly the abdominals.

I think it also has something to do with the shape of the wheel. When you jump to the side, the contact patch of your wheel stays in one place, no matter how much you lean over. When you lean to the front, the contact patch move forward also. I don't know if that's a factor, or if you can compensate for it by pusing the pedals forward a bit as you jump.

onewheeldave
2003-06-13, 10:42 PM
johnfoss abdominals.

I think it also has something to do with the shape of the wheel. When you jump to the side, the contact patch of your wheel stays in one place, no matter how much you lean over. When you lean to the front, the contact patch move forward also. I don't know if that's a factor, or if you can compensate for it by pusing the pedals forward a bit as you jump.
-------------------------------------

I wonder if this could be tested by doing that move where you jump your feet off the uni, spin it 90 degrees, land feet on the tyre and hop it.

Then, if you do a forward hop, the wheel will be in the same position as it is when you do a sideways hop normally, and vice versa.

Would it then be the case that you can now hop further forwards than sideways?

I would try it but that move is about ten years in the future for me, so I'll just throw out the idea for an expert to try!

Norman Smith
2003-06-14, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I went out to try a few things and I made
a breakthough. Combining a big lean and really pulling the unicycle up
higher I hopped as far as I had been going sideways. I tried the same
method sideways and set a new record (for me :D). I still have
difficulty landing smoothly after really leaning into a hop though.

Just as a related side note, I noticed that I frequently "freeze" just
before a hop onto something. I get a perfect stillstand, I'm set,...I
can't do it, step down... Even if it's a hop I've made before this will
happen, usually when preparing to hop forward. I think I psych myself
out.

Oh, well... more practice.

Norman Smith
Karuizawa, Japan

Half my friends are amazed I can Unicycle,...
the other half wonder why I want to..

--
Direct access to this group with http://web2news.com
http://web2news.com/?rec.sport.unicycling